Ireland Should Immediately Leave the European Union

I am new to debating online and I think it is a great idea. I'm not familiar with all of the formalities that I have seen on other debates but I'm sure that I will learn as I go along. "Practice makes Perfect" is the old saying.

I would like to argue that Ireland would do well to leave the European Union so that it may be able to better find a way to resolve the crisis that it finds itself in. Becoming independent from the EU would allow it to return to its own currency, which would allow it to resolve many of the economic problems that it is presently facing. It would also allow itself to be free of the many pressures being placed upon the nation by the EU, such as the argument concerning the raising of corporate taxes.

The Irish people have already shown that they would prefer to have less interference from the EU when they voted against the Lisbon Treaty in the first of two national referendums on the issue.

I'll be concise, due to limit of 750.

First, Ireland is a small country, which needs the EU to remain competitive. A small country on its own cannot cpmpete with the ICGs, against likes of BRIC, SAARC, EU and others. In the EU, it can benefit from EU free trade.

Free trade and free movement has also benefited vastly: for example, flight costs have plummeted due to the open border agreement.

When we're all at the EU trade table, we represent 400 million people, the largest economy in the world. Ireland being part of this helps the economy, we can see that the EU helps minorities through its history e.g. Catalonia.

Pulling out of the EU includes the Euro, I imagine. This would make mortgage rates and debts soar, not fall, and cause everyone hurt.

Ireland, as a small nation, has no need to compete against massive entities. Despite this, Ireland has nevertheless managed to be competitive in that is has one of the lowest corporate tax rates in Europe at 12,5% which was established by the Irish government and not the EU. In fact, Ireland is presently under pressure from the other EU nations, like France, who are complaining that this rate is too competitive. If Ireland is forced by the by the EU to raise this tax rate, many foreign corporations will leave the country, causing a further loss of vitals jobs. Pulling out of the Euro and returning to the Irish Punt would allow Ireland to control interests rates, print money when needed and determine debt forgiveness.

Ireland must compete against other nations, regardless of size. It's comparing imports
To its exports

We see Ireland producing much less than importing.

You mention the Irish Punt, but ignore the problems it causes. Changing currencies makes everything really expensive fast, not good in a recession. Also, ""We estimate that a weak euro country leaving the euro would incur a cost of around €9,500 to €11,500 per person" (Stephane Duo). Finally, the lending rates on a country that has an entirely new currency is very low.

Also, I fail to see how Ireland will be more competitive outside the EU. Ireland has ultimate power in its own country, not the EU, so the EU cannot enact laws randomly.

I also contend leaving the EU will make more job losses.

In conclusion, it remains my assertion that many of Ireland's problems could be resolved only if it leaves the EU. In 2008, when this crisis exploded in Europe, Iceland was able to make its own decisions because it was not an EU member state. As a result, Iceland, an even smaller country than Ireland, is recovering much more quickly and effectively precisely because it does not have to answer to the EU; and because it has control of its momentary system. Ireland struggled for 100s of years to gain its independence from the British and many Irish citizens are now concerned that they are slowly watching their sovereignty move into the hands of the EU superpower. Ireland can easily be a member of Europe without being in the EU. Thank you.

My opponent has made new arguments, so i will be brief:

Iceland has had been bailed out 15% of its economy (something that Ireland will not get). Iceland's unemployment rate increased 800% in two years. Not a good thing to copy.

Ireland's sovereignty problem is one that is non-existent. Again, ultimate power is within its Parliaments.

My opponent has not solved any of the economic problems Ireland would be exposed to from leaving the EU. The political implications would mean worse relationships with other countries, not better internal government, and the power Ireland has from being in the EU is massive. I thank my opponent for the debate, but urge voters to vote CON
Posted by tinocurione 4 years ago
Thanks for the advice everyone and I thank my opponent for having accepted this challenge. Equally, I apologize to everyone, including my opponent, for the limitations that I have placed on this debate. I see now that it could have been a much more informative discussion for those who may have found the subject of interest. Lesson learned!
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Sorry for small pics.
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
tino, in the future go for the default settings: 8000 character limit, 3 day waiting period, etc.
Posted by tinocurione 4 years ago

You guys are right about the 750 limit. Is there some way to change it? If not, I'll know better next time.
Posted by tinocurione 4 years ago
The 750 limit is because I'm a novice and this is my first online debate. I want to familiarize myself with the process and the options. I have a lot to learn and want to get some practice.
Posted by Jon1 4 years ago
Yeah, 750 character's limit is not advisable.
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
750 character limit????
Posted by Jon1 4 years ago
As an Irish citizen and avid debater, I should accept. But I don't know squat about this issue XD.
So I'll be observing and learning from this debate.

Welcome to DDO, TC!
Posted by Thaddeus 4 years ago
No country should be in the EU. The EU should not exist any further than an area without trade tariffs.
Vote Placed by trippledubs 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con provided effective rebuttals in confined space. I would liked to have seen the Iceland thing settled but there didn't seem to be enough space.