Nickc92
BangBang-Coconut

Iron Maiden is a better band then Metallica

BangBang-Coconut

Nickc92

Pro

Iron Maiden is a better band than Metallica. Con must argue why Metallica is a better band.

*Con cannot bring up money/salaries, album sales or ratings.*

This debate will be based on the song writing, meaningfulness, talent of musicians/singers, and impact on the audience/public.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

I agree to the rules and await my opponent's opening arguments!
Nickc92

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

I would like to begin by saying that I am personal fans of both bands, however, I believe Iron maiden is better.
I would like to start with song writing.

Iron Maiden and Metallica have very different song writing styles. However, the styles are not so different that they can not be compared. The most immediate and noticeable different between them is that Iron Maiden has more of a story-telling and poetic style. In music (especially metal music), this is significantly more desirable. I can verify this on the grounds that I have personally been a metal-head and have been connected with many others for my entire teenage life, and still am, and going to remain. I have heard all of the opinions in my countless in-depth conversations with many other metal-heads about song writing styles, and I can conclude that Iron Maiden's style of songwriting is more desirable. Metallica has a much more typical metaphorical style of song writing. They never really tell what is exactly going on, however it is implied with enough evidence that the listener can make an accurate conclusion as to what the song is about.
For example, the well known song "Enter Sandman," I am sure my opponent is familiar with it, is a metaphorical way of speaking about dark thoughts in the human mind. http://www.songmeanings.net...
The link will provide more input from average metal-heads, as well as the lyrics, if my opponent is looking for more.
It is a great song, however the way is it written, in that metaphorical style, without ever talking about any specific dark thoughts, is not as desirable. A typical intense music listener will want to explore the dark thoughts and hear what the band has to say about their own.

In comparison, I would like to reference the Iron Maiden song "The Trooper," another well known tune.
This song is the quintessential song to portray Maiden's song writing. It is a story. It is a story, of a soldier's journey through a horrific battle scene during a war.
The actual war and battle are described in this article; http://en.wikipedia.org...
The lyrics of the song are extremely vivid and tell every detail that the soldier is experiencing on that battle field. From the charge in, to the point of being wounded and feeling death.
Lyrics here; http://www.elyrics.net...

I would like to leave round one with this, and hear my opponent's argument.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

I thank my opponent for their arguments!
So starting out, I feel it is important to point out that I am a fan of neither Iron Maiden nor Metallica. But really just love debating these kind of topics, and felt I could compose a good case against Iron maiden's supremacy.

I want to present a few truths that we must look at when debating an issue such as this;

First we cannot compare apples and oranges, and as my opponent points out both of these bands have very different writing styles in their songs. So in that area we cannot compare them.

Second, Musical styles are completely subjective. For instance, Rebbecca Black's song "friday" [1] has been considered
good enough that more than 17 million people have listened to this song. I think it's absolutely awful. especially the part where she goes "we we we so excited, we so excited" I think it's awful. Whereas I absolutely love Joy Electric's [2]"Red will dye these snows of silver" I feel that the lyrics are more thoughtful and the melody is better sounding. However this video only has some-odd 41 thousand views (more than half are probably from me XD), so apparently others would disagree with me.

Now I am I wrong for liking Joy Electric more than Rebbecca Black? Not at all. Is another person wrong for liking Metallica more than than Iron Maiden? not at all, it's entirely opinionated.

In fact I was just talking to my mom, an avid Rock and metal fan; she thought it was ridiculous that any-one would think Iron Maiden was better than Metallica. Now my Older Brother, a Lucid Metal-head absolutely adores the band Metallica; he also adores Iron. so we can also see that they can be valued on the same level.

Now going to the Pro's arguments;
He claims that Iron Maiden is better than Metallica, by saying that he prefers the lyrics to Iron Maiden more than he does the Lyrics to Metallica. This is however only a personal opinion which he does not warrant with any kind of proof, or logical analysis.
Now given we still have three rounds for my opponent to give us some kind of proof other than his opinion, but at this point by opponent does not meet his burden of proof to show that Iron Maiden is better than Metallica.

Vote Con :D

Sources;
[1]
[2]
Nickc92

Pro

Nickc92 forfeited this round.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

Sadly, my opponent has forfeited.
So I extend all prior arguments.
Vote Con please!
Nickc92

Pro

Nickc92 forfeited this round.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

Again, my opponent has forfeited.
So I extend again.
Vote Con please!
Nickc92

Pro

I sincerely apologize for my inability to ge on and debate in time. I would love to continue this debate, however there are not enough rounds left. I would like to try this again sometime and I will challenge you.

Again, my apologies.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

No argumentation from Pro; Vote Con :D
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
Nickc92BangBang-CoconutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits