Legolas10100
ScarletGhost4396

Iron man is better than superman

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Legolas10100

Pro

Ironman is better than superman because Tony Stark actually has to smarts and ability to create a suit that is a strong competitor to superman. ironman is virtually indestructible, however Kryptonite kills superman.
ScarletGhost4396

Con

I thank my opponent for such an interesting topic for debate, and though I am respectful of his opinion that Ironman is the better villain, I must negate the resolution and argue for the CON. Before continuing in this debate, I would like to define the following key terms from the resolution:

Superman: A fictional comic book superhero appearing in publication by DC Comics, widely considered to be an American icon.

Ironman: A fictional character, a superhero in the Marvel Comics Universe

Better: More attractive, favorable, or commendable; more advantageous or effective, improved in accuracy or performance.

From these definitions, I can make the following observations for the debate:

Observation 1: The analysis of this debate according to the definitions of the resolution is mainly between character-to-character. Because the resolution does not specify as to which way to analyze the character, it's essentially a broad debate analyzing the characters' entirety. Therefore, the debate must focus on the entirety of the character.

Observation 2: To add alongside Observation 1, we must keep in mind that the characters are fictional within literature. Therefore, a subjective analysis on the character must be included in order to have a strong debate as well.
And now, to my debate...

Contention 1: Superman is a better persona than Ironman.
When making an analysis of these two characters, we must look at what they are when they have their cape on and off; what personality traits and symbolisms do these two characters represent is the essential question. Superman, because he is more symbolically significant and humbler than Ironman as well as more connected to the audience,is a better character. This makes him a better character because he is so ingrained in American culture than Ironman.
Sub 1a: Superman is more symbolically significant
What most notably represents Superman is that he is more than just a common superhero (in contrast to Ironman). He is syof the intended image and what the outcome of it has been. Since his conception during the 1930s, Superman was the helping hand for those less fortunate during the Great Depression, later becoming the face of justice when he began to fight against the forces of Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany. Since then, Superman has become the incarnate of the good American mbolically significant as an image of American idealisms and has been analyzed as a representation of a Christly figure. When making an analysis on the subjective level, we can clearly see that Superman conquers this realm because idealism that the country was meant to stand for: peace and justice, in addition to being a Christly figure. The following evidence upholds my analysis:

http://www.rapidcitylibrary.org...
http://www.unomaha.edu...
http://www.examiner.com...
http://www.supermanofsteel.com...
Sub 1b: Superman has a more appropriate personality
When we go beyond the cape and analyze the personalities of the individual characters, we realize that Superman is not just a Big Blue Boy Scout when he wears the costume. Superman has a much stronger moral compass when it comes to the behaviors when he's outside the public eye, which is a much better role model for children than Ironman, who is depicted to be a millionaire playboy who ostentatiously displays his image as a superhero. Ironman is every negative image of masculity and American culture--the idea that money is the one thing that matters and that women are just playdolls. Superman is simply the common hardworking American only having eyes for one woman despite his attractive looks and his status as a protector of a city, which he does not flaunt. Superman is a better role model for America. He's the image of what the common man needs to be and what future generations need to become, in contrast to a man who flaunts money and fame and goes after every woman that he finds attractive.
http://www.justiceleaguesecrets.com...

Contention 2: Superman is a better superhero
Of course, in addition to analyzing the actual character of the two men in question for this debate, we must also analyze their conditions of being superheroes, and as we can see, Superman clearly takes this one as well because of his stronger efficiency, fewer disadvantages, and stronger superabilities.

Sub 2a: Superman is a more efficient superhero
Both superheroes are known to have been saviors of the world in previous media. However, because Superman requires fewer resources to do the same thing that Ironman does, this makes Superman the more efficient superhero. Ironman requires a heavy amount of resources, including repairs for his suit, money to pay for all of it, tests for his suit, etc. Not only does this heavy reliance on resources make him less efficient, it opens doors for him to be more vulnerable because there are so many ways to debilitate him. Superman is just as virtually indestructable as Ironman without the requirement of such a suit, has his powers on his own, and despite the element of Kryptonite and some others to oppose him, the ability of coming to acquisition to such elements of weakness for Superman are questionable...and Superman still is able to save the world just as much as Ironman. If anything is required for Superman, he has the JLA for assistance. To get to the bottom line: it's much harder to put down Superman than Ironman.
Sub 2b: Superman has better superabilities than Ironman
Superman has many of the same abilities that Ironman has with the exception of only a few weapons, and while most of Ironman's weapons are mainly made for attacks, Superman has enough of his own powers for attacks and useful abilities for the detection of crime and aid of people, including x-ray vision, superhearing, microscopic vision, etc. (For example, in an episode of Static Shock where Superman was a "guest character," he used x-ray vision to check for broken bones on a victim).

Legolas10100

Pro

Ironman Shoots lazers from his hands, is basically indestructible, and.....shoots lazers from his hands.
ScarletGhost4396

Con

Well, at this point, let's analyze the points of the PRO and CON. My opponent's arguments are the following:

1. Ironman has made a suit that is a strong competitor to Superman.
2. Ironman is virtually indestructible.
3. Kryptonite kills Superman.
4. Ironman shoots lasers from his hands.

First off, we need to make the distinction of the resolution and the observations that I've made. My opponent did not argue any of my observations or anything I made in my argument, so the judges can gladly extend every argument that I've made across the flow. This means that my opponent has failed to make a full or even partially full analysis on the character he defends because he only makes an analysis on the combat abilities of Ironman in comparison to Superman. At the point where my case makes a fuller analysis of the resolution and my opponent does not argue anything in my case, it already makes my case better than his.
Then, we analyze my opponent's actual points from his case in addition to that. I've already shown my judges how exactly the powers granted to Ironman via his suit are very similar to the ones that Superman: Superman is also virtually indestructible with his invulnerability and accelerated healing, so his two points that Ironman is virtually indestructible and shoots lasers is irrelevant because Superman has those abilities (and then some), as I have explained in my case. He has pulled out the argument that Kryptonite kills Superman, but as I've argued, Kryptonite is one in a short list of weaknesses that Superman has, and with the costs of kryptonite and the availability of it thereof in the fictional DC Comics universe, it's not a weakness that Superman really has to encounter very often, in contrast to the potential weaknesses that Ironman has with the amount of resources that he requires in order to be able to do the things that he does. Because Ironman has so many weak points, it makes him a more vulnerable hero. Probably one of his biggest weaknesses is that Ironman has flaunted his heroism so heavily that one set of series (I believe the movie version), people actually know his secret identity, which means that it places him at such a place of weakness in comparison to Superman.
I guess that would leave his first point about Ironman being such a strong competitor, but with the suit giving Ironman almost all the same kind of powers that Superman has and without having an actual edition where Superman and Ironman compete, there's no way to actually evaluate that, so that point is irrelevant as well.
Not to mention the argument for Superman's character under the cape, which has been extended.
I believe that is all the points in my opponent's case. Thank you.

Vote Pro
Legolas10100

Pro

First of all, i feel that Iron man(Tony Stark) is much smarter than superman, because instead of being born with superpowers, Tony stark is an all american genius and knows what it takes to be a hero. superman can be as strong as he wants, but Iron Man is smarter than him and can adapt in every way. Plus he looks cool.
ScarletGhost4396

Con

My opponent once again fails to argue against my rebuttals and general statement, so judges, you can extend everything I've said so far across the flow. Because I've rebutted all of my opponent's points and my opponent hasn't rebutted anything in my argument, I pretty much have this debate.
The only thing that my opponent is doing now is adding a brand-new point about how Ironman is smarter than Superman, and how Ironman knows what it takes to be a hero. First off, the fact that my opponent says that Ironman is smarter only adds fuel to my argument that Superman is a more efficient hero because if Ironman really is smarter than Superman in every way, that means that Superman still saves the world (and others as well) without requiring the intellect that Ironman needs in order to even exist, which only adds to my argument that Superman is a more efficient hero. My opponent states that Ironman is smarter, but provides no medium to evaluate that...no explanation. Therefore, he has a very weak attack when it comes to comparing the intellect between the two heroes.
That would leave the argument about Ironman looking better than Superman. This point is irrelevant because not only is style a matter of subjective opinion and he has no way of determining that Ironman looks better than Superman, meaning that this is just an opinion that cannot be evaluated, but looking better does not in any way evaluate the actual characters in question in this debate.
So, to come to a conclusion to this debate my arguments still stand unscathed, I have argued all of my opponent's points from top to bottom, and my case trump his because it gives a fuller analysis of the character of Superman over Ironman. Therefore:

Vote PRO
Posted by ScarletGhost4396 5 years ago
ScarletGhost4396
Yeah, mistake. lol
Posted by Ahtiz 5 years ago
Ahtiz
ScarletGhost4396... In most of your posts, you say VOTE PRO at the end. But you're Con... Mistake?
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
Legolas10100ScarletGhost4396Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Not much arguments by Pro where as Con makes clear and convincing arguments backed by sources.
Vote Placed by DoctrinallyCorrect 5 years ago
DoctrinallyCorrect
Legolas10100ScarletGhost4396Tied
Reasons for voting decision: no contest
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
Legolas10100ScarletGhost4396Tied
Reasons for voting decision: All I had to do was get to the second round to figure out that Pro didn't take this debate seriously at all. Cons arguments all stood, put much more effort in the debate than Pro, and had numerous sources.
Vote Placed by Cerebral_Narcissist 5 years ago
Cerebral_Narcissist
Legolas10100ScarletGhost4396Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro essentially forfeited. All votes to con by default
Vote Placed by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
Legolas10100ScarletGhost4396Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gets conduct because comic fonts look silly. Very silly. The rest should be fairly obvious. Pro should actually engage with what his opponent is saying.