Theron
ballpit

Is .gif pronounced gif(con) or jif(pro)?

Started: 3/4/2016 Category: Technology

Theron

Pro

It's pronounced jif. How do I know? Literally IT/computer person I know who works with computers for a living says jif. And I know a lot of people. As for rules, I don't care. Anything goes. Have fun, and don't take it too seriously.
ballpit

Con

.GIF is an acronym for Graphic Interchange Format and I say that it is to be pronounced as written. My reasoning is that more people I know say GIF and there is no J in the acronym or the full written out term.
Theron

Pro

G can be pronounced as a 'j' sound. In the word 'badge', the g at the end is pronounced like a 'j' when followed by a vowel. In the file name .gif, g is followed by a vowel, therefor making a j sound. Can you defeat my amazingly illogical logic?
ballpit

Con

The English language is full of oddities to the "rules" set in times long past. Lastly as it is an acronym not a word one cannot truly apply the rules of the English language to GIF.

To the point of your amazingly illogical logic I have to say that it does not exist as they are opposites of each other and would hence cancel each other out.
Theron

Pro

I can't refute his point. I will now allow my argument to degenerate in to childish whining. BUT IT'S SAID JIF!!! WAAAAAAH!
ballpit

Con

As I stated preciously the pronunciation is GIF as the spelling is and my opponent has not provided evidence to prove otherwise.

Regardless thank you to my opponent for this debate as it was silly and fun for me to use along with other debates to get the debate club at my school interested in this site.
Posted by Theron 11 months ago
Theron
I know, it's amazingly stupid. Should be fun though
Posted by ballpit 11 months ago
ballpit
This is a ridiculous topic but i love it.