chilli0919
lannan13

Is 1/3 = 1

lannan13

chilli0919

Pro

Suppose this was not the case, i.e. 0.9999... != 1. Then 0.9999... < 1 (I hope we agree on that). But between two distinct real numbers, there's always another one (say x) in between, hence 0.9999... < x < 1.

The decimal representation of x must have a digit somewhere that is not 9 (otherwise x == 0.9999...). But that means it's actually smaller " x < 0.9999..., contradicting the definition of x.

Thus, the assumption that there's a number between 0.9999... and 1 is false, hence they're equal.
lannan13

Con

Contention 1: 1/3<1

Let's do some comparisons. 1/3 as a fraction, is equal to .333 repeating. Assuming that we are only using real number and not the imgainary number i. 1 is indeed =1.

Let's apply this to real life. I have 1 pizza and I have to split it between my two friends and I. I would only get 1/3 of the pizza and not the entire pizza. My friends would 2/3 of the pizza which is .667. The two would =1. The reason for this is that we have to consider the appropriate number of significant figures. (http://www.chem.sc.edu...)

You see at the end of the allotted significant figures one must round up the last digit. so indeed .9999 repeating would =1 due to the sig fig rule, but the resolution is weather or not .333=1. I have shown through the significant figures rule that indeed it would not. as .333 would not be able to round up to even .334, as 3<5 so .333 would remain as .333 and as a fraction .333 would be 1/3 of the whole number of 1.
chilli0919

Pro

chilli0919 forfeited this round.
lannan13

Con

All points extended.
chilli0919

Pro

chilli0919 forfeited this round.
lannan13

Con

All points extended. Please vote Con.
Posted by PeacefulChaos 3 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Because while it is plausible to form an argument for the claim that 0.999 ... = 1 because there is no number "x" between the two, you can't use the same argument for the fact that 0.333 = 1, since there are numerous numbers "x" between the two.

E.g. 0.4, 0.45, 0.5, etc.
Posted by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
How are you confused.
Posted by PeacefulChaos 3 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Isn't that what I just said?
Posted by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
Pro is arguing that .333=1
Posted by PeacefulChaos 3 years ago
PeacefulChaos
I'm confused

I can understand both sides of the argument of how 0.999 ... = 1, but Pro is arguing for 1/3 = 1, or that 0.333 ... = 1.

There are an infinite amount of numbers between 1/3 and 1.
Posted by creedhunt 3 years ago
creedhunt
That isn't the topic of this debate though, do it's irrelevant
Posted by creedhunt 3 years ago
creedhunt
The difference is currently debated amongst mathematicians, but they are both potentially valid. It all depends on infinitesimal theories. https://www.google.ca...
Posted by The_Scapegoat_bleats 3 years ago
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Not true.
1/9 = 0.111...

0.111... x 9 = 0.999...

1/9 X 9 = 1

Hence, 0.999... = 1

No number inbetween. Identical numbers.
Posted by creedhunt 3 years ago
creedhunt
Actually, the number in between 0.999... and 1 is just infinitely small. That means there is no digit for it, as it is the opposite of an irrational. 0.000...1.
The_Scapegoat_bleats
http://en.wikipedia.org......

0.999...=1
It's a mathematical fact, and you've proved it with your final statement. What are you debating?
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 3 years ago
ESocialBookworm
chilli0919lannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Obvious winner is lannan13. No questions asked. Conduct: FF, Args: his made more sense.