zz71
Dpowell

Is ALL STAR cheer leading a sport?

Dpowell
Started: 4/23/2014 Category: Sports

zz71

Pro

All star cheer leading is a sport. When you are competing in competitions, everyone is competitive. Cheerleaders and cheer leading teams compete for that number one trophy. Cheer leading requires a lot of strength. You have to be able to lift a 120 pound person in the air and if one thing goes wrong, they could really injure or hospitalize themselves.
Dpowell

Con

I don't see it as a sport. If beauty pageants were a sport then I'd consider cheerleading as a sport. Just because you compete, doesn't mean anything. Dress up in a tank top and skirt and running around like hyped up freaks isn't a sport. Sure it takes work, and exercise, plus alot of gymnastics, but I see no reason to consider it as such.
zz71

Pro

You are mistaking this for football cheer leading. When you are competing for the trophy after working hard for months, I would consider this a sport. By the way gymnastics is a sport and if that is what they are doing in cheer leading, you have just proved my point.
Dpowell

Con

You put it as if it's dancing, which isn't a sport either. To me all cheer leading is the same, whether you're competing or not. It's not entirely a waste of time like my high school band, but it's not worth going to see in a competition. There's a lot better things to watch. In fact there's not enough fans of cheer leading to even consider it a sport. As football, American or European version, has millions-billions while cheer leading has approximately 100-1000. Football fans are defensive of their sports by the way. If given the choice between any sport and cheer leading, I'd bet more than half of them will choose something else out of boredom.
Posted by ArcTImes 3 years ago
ArcTImes
The problem here is what definition you are using. Sport is not officially defined. I mean, chess is an sport for some organizations, but a lot of people would argue it isn't because there is no physical activity.
So this can be fair, you should use an organization definition that is narrowed and very specific.
Then you can argue the part of competition vs support.
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
zz71DpowellTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument made more sense while pro only attempted to play them off.