Shad0wXx
masterdrave

Is Abortion Immoral?

masterdrave has forfeited round #2.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Shad0wXx

Pro

Resolved: Abortion is immoral.

My goal as Pro is to prove that abortion is immoral.
My opponent may try to prove that abortion is not immoral.
This debate isn't about whether abortion has or can have benefits - rather, whether it is immoral or not.

By accepting this debate, my opponent agrees to the following definitions:

Immoral: Not conforming to accepted standards of morality.

Morality: Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

Abortion: The deliberate termination of a human pregnancy.

Kill: Cause the death of (a person, animal, or other living thing).

First round is acceptance only.

I look forward to a well thought-out and civil debate.
masterdrave

Con

Hey mate, I accept. Abortion is good.
Shad0wXx

Pro

I have four points to begin with:

1st point: Killing a human without reason or for one or more invalid reason/s is, without doubt, wrong.
If one kills someone because that person (the person they kill), was clearly going to kill (the killer) otherwise, one may argue that the killer is justified. If one kills for money, entertainment, or convenience, one may argue that the killer is unjustified.

2nd point: All living humans have certain rights, among them being Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

3rd point: The process of "Abortion" which I refer to in this debate is the deliberate termination of a pregnancy, either by killing the child, or simply ending the development of the an non-human thing. I argue that it is the former of the two.

4th point: A human being is alive starting at fertilization, and does not gradually come into being.

"The human embryo is the same individual as the human organism at subsequent stages of development. The evidence for this is the genetic and epigenetic composition of this being - that is, the embryo's molecular composition is such that he or she has the internal resources to develop actively himself or herself to the next mature stage""and the typical embryo's regular, predictable and observable behaviour - that is, the embryo's actual progression through an internally coordinated and complex sequence of development to his or her mature stage."

"Ronald Bailey, a science writer for Reason magazine, observes that each cell in the human body possesses the entire DNA code, but that each has become specialized as a muscle or skin cell, for example, by most of that code being turned off. During cloning, previously deactivated parts of the genome are reactivated. Bailey therefore argues that if human embryos are human beings with moral worth because of their potential to become adult humans, the same must be said of somatic cells, which is absurd. However, Bailey's argument is based on a false analogy. The somatic cell is something from which a new organism can be generated; it is certainly not, however, a distinct organism. A human embryo, by contrast, is already a distinct, self-developing and complete human organism.
Moreover, the type of "potentiality' possessed by somatic cells differs profoundly from the potentiality of the embryo. A somatic cell has a potential only in the sense that something can be done to it so that its constituents"its DNA molecules"enter into a distinct whole human organism, which is a human being, a person. In the case of the embryo, by contrast, he or she is already actively"indeed dynamically"developing himself or herself to the further stages of maturity of the human being he or she already is."

"...the well-being and fulfilment of others is worthy of respect even at times when they are unconscious - when they are asleep, comatose or at any time that they exist, including those times during which they are developing to the stage at which they will be actually exercising the basic natural capacity for agency."

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

"A zygote [fertilized egg] is the beginning of a new human being. Human development begins at fertilization, the process during which a male gamete " unites with a female gamete or oocyte " to form a single cell called a zygote. This highly specialized, totipotent cell marks the beginning of each of us as a unique individual"

Source: Keith L. Moore"s The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology (7th edition, Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, 2003)

The following article may also be used in support of my argument that life begins at fertilization: https://www.liveaction.org...

I believe that I have now shown evidence that human life begins at fertilization.

I await your response.
Posted by Shad0wXx 3 months ago
Shad0wXx
@masterdrave I"m pretty sure he was pointing out how unintelligent that sounds.
Posted by masterdrave 3 months ago
masterdrave
@ SugarShibe yeah I'm glad you agree. Abortion is funny.
Posted by SugarShibe 3 months ago
SugarShibe
"Abortion is good."
Posted by canis 4 months ago
canis
If you find out it is not immoral... What then ?..A good or bad "thing" ?
Posted by gamefreak23788 4 months ago
gamefreak23788
Interesting, I'd like to see how this plays out