PikaNAW
minddrag

Is Abortion Moral?

minddrag

PikaNAW

Con

Hi. This is my first debate. I am writing an argumentative essay about abortion for my English class. My stand on abortion is that it is immoral.

Round 1: Acceptance/Rules
Round 2: Opening Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Counter-rebuttals
Round 5: Closing Arguments
minddrag

Pro

Hello my name is minddrag and I would be very happy and proud to be your opponent in this rapidly evolving and hotly debated topic. I hereby accept your terms and look forward to your opening argument!
PikaNAW

Con

Since there is no scientific answer for the morality of abortion, this will have to be a debate of opinions. Now in my opinion, abortion is immoral except in certain circumstances. Now that does not include the B-plan pill. I am Catholic and while I do not approve of birth control, it is more moral than abortion because it is not killing the zygote, it is merely a prevention from getting pregnant (I will also try to prevent bringing religion into this). People will say that "a fertilized egg isn't living because it can't do the things we do,". While they are correct in saying that it can't do the things we do, they are wrong in saying that the baby is not living. Think about it, unless a woman has been pregnant before or takes a pregnancy test immediately the next day, she usually does not know she is pregnant until several weeks later, and the baby's heart starts to beat around the third week. And if there must be more to convince you, according to the Cell Theory cells are the basic units of LIFE. That is my argument.
minddrag

Pro

My apologies for taking so long posting this, as I have had many technical issues leading up to this. Coupled with the HTML 500 error, and the bell internet crash in Canada, I have not had DDO for around 36 hours. So with 54 minutes left till I forfeit the round, and most probably the debate, I will post my argument. I thank my opponent for accepting this topic and I hope that we can have a good and fun debate, may the best man win!

The topic we are debating today is weather or not the United States Gpvernment should make abortion illegal. The United States has already risin over the religious institutions in legalising gay marriage, which is a very big step in the direction of the free mind and body movement. Considering that they have already stated that everyone should have the right to do what they want with their body, shouldn't abortion be legal also? I would consider the baby, part of the mother until the umbilical cord is cut. Until then the baby is basically a parasite, feeding off the strength of the mother. I will go more in depth into this later on in the debate.

My second point is that every child should have the right to grow up in a strong household. Some of the factors that would makeup a strong household would be parents and love, although those are just some of them, they make up the epitome of a good household. A child growing up without a good household is over twice as likely to develop psychotic tendencies and have mental disorders.

I would like to now point out that by requesting an abortion, the mother is stating that she cannot care for, does not want, or cannot have the child inside her body. For better or for worse this puts the child without love if it comes into this world. It will be more likely to be bullied, and abused, by peers at school or by the mother. Or the child could be put into an orphanage, a drain on the system, never knowing its mother, depressed and lonely. Do you want this fate for a child?

This picture would not be complete without a father of course. Weathar it is a teen pregnancy and the father simply denies the girl, to a marriage where both the mother and the father do not want the baby, accidents to happen. Because birth control is never 100% effective, we should not, and have a moral responsibility not to make abortions illegal. Until we can say that you will not get a baby is you use this super condem (or any other form of 100% effective birth control), we should not take abortions away.

Why is this pro lifers might ask? Well it is because, we need to offer the women a foolproof option of getting rid of a child, that will not be loved, cared for and was a stake, weather by not having it made in the first place, or by cutting it off before it is born. We shou;d be attempting as a society to produce children that are wholesome and grow up in a happy and healthy household, with both parents who care for them, as that will produce the best results for a society to grow. We as an advanced society should be promoting the sexual lifestyles of to individuals without allowing a chance of a baby to come in and figuratively and actually wrecking their lives, and their finances.

This moves me onto my final point for this speech. This is that most newly weds and new couples, simply cannot afford to care for a baby. Having another member of the family is extremely expensive (I am sure there are stats on this, but without Internet, I cannot check them), and it should not be forced on people.

Governments should stay out of the bedroom. Like China's one child policy, to restrict population growth, do we need a policy that does not allow us to control our population, and have children being born without love, or caring parents?

It is for these reasons that I do believe that this resolution Resolved that the United States Government should make abortion illegal, must and will fall. Thank you and have a great day! I look forward to my opponents argument.
PikaNAW

Con

PikaNAW forfeited this round.
minddrag

Pro

I do hope that you return for the next round.
PikaNAW

Con

I apologize for forfeiting the last round. When I was to post it, I became ill and missed the deadline. I hope this does not affect anyone's opinions, but if it is alright with my opponent, I will have to change the order and make round 4 rebuttals and round 5 Counter-rebuttals. Now onto my rebuttal.

While Minddrag is correct in saying that every child has the right to live in a strong household, that is sadly not always the case. While it is sad and wrong, think about it like this. If that child grows up like that, they will know what it is like to live like that and can work to make sure others will never have to live like that. And look at people who have grown up in those situations. The late Maya Angelou, a famous African-American author, was abandoned with her brother and had to be taken in by their grandmother. This was back in the semi-early 1900s, so at that time there was still discrimination and unequal opportunities for (not a racist comment) black people in America, so you know that they were not able to make a lot of money back then. So if it is hard for people now to support a family, think about back then.

As for the mother not wanting the child, if she wasn't ready, why did she have sex in the first place? Now, I know that if she was raped, then it was not her choice, but that child could still grow up to be great people. Look at Jesse Jackson, who was conceived through rape but then went to support pro-life. Every child deserves the right to live their life to the fullest and use their life to help others and make a difference in the world. Like Mewtwo said in "Pok"mon: The First Movie", "I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
minddrag

Pro

Thank you for your rebuttals and your wonderful speech. I will now first like to rebut my opponents points.

I"m probably not going to convince you that a fetus isn"t a life, as that"s basically the most intractable part of this whole debate, so I"ll be brief. A fetus can"t survive on its own. It is fully dependent on its mother"s body, unlike born human beings. Even if a fetus was alive, the "right to life" doesn"t imply a right to use somebody else"s body. People have the right to refuse to donate their organs, for example, even if doing so would save somebody else"s life. The "right to life" also doesn"t imply a right to live by threatening somebody else's life. Bearing children is always a threat the life of the mother. A "right to life" is, at the end of the day, a right to not have somebody else"s will imposed upon your body. Do women not have this right as well?

In your rebuttals you stated that why would the women have sex when she did not want a baby. This implies that birth control is infallible. Birth control is not 100% effective. This fact will prove that abortion must be offered until the moment when birth control is 100% effective to that we can always protect the mother. Even if every child has the right to life, every mother has the right to her life. I will go more into that further in the debate. A woman's risk of dying from having an abortion is 0.6 in 100,000, while the risk of dying from giving birth is around 14 times higher (8.8 in 100,000). [2] The mortality rate of a colonoscopy is more than 40 times greater than that of an abortion.[3]

Now I will move on to my constructive speech. Many women, particularly teens, are shunned and shamed for their pregnancies " not only by friends, families, employers, and classmates, but also by advertisements in the subway. There's also the risk of violent retribution from abusive partners and parents. In short, there are a lot of reasons a woman might seek an abortion. Abortion is a way to escape these attack and can provide protection for the mother.

The US Supreme Court has declared abortion to be a "fundamental right" guaranteed by the US Constitution. The landmark abortion case Roe v. Wade, decided on Jan. 22, 1973 in favor of abortion rights, remains the law of the land. The 7-2 decision stated that the Constitution gives "a guarantee of certain areas or zones of privacy," and that "This right of privacy... is broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy. [4]

Women who receive abortions are less likely to suffer mental health problems than women denied abortions. A Sep. 2013 peer-reviewed study comparing the mental health of women who received abortions to women denied abortions found that women who were denied abortions "felt more regret and anger" and "less relief and happiness" than women who had abortions. The same study also found that 95% of women who received abortions "felt it was the right decision" a week after the procedure. [5] Studies by the American Psychological Association (APA), the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (AMRC), and researchers at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health all concluded that purported links between abortion and mental health problems are unfounded. [6]

Women who are denied abortions are more likely to become unemployed, to be on public welfare, to be below the poverty line, and to become victims of domestic violence. A University of California at San Francisco study found that women who were turned away from abortion clinics (because they had passed the gestational limit imposed by the clinic) were three times more likely to be below the poverty level two years later than women who were able to obtain abortions. 76% of the "turnaways" ended up on unemployment benefits, compared with 44% of the women who had abortions. The same study found that women unable to obtain abortions were more likely to stay in a relationship with an abusive partner than women who had an abortion, and were more than twice as likely to become victims of domestic violence. [7] [8]

Abortion reduces crime. According to a study co-written by Freakonomics co-author Steven D. Levitt, PhD, and published in the peer-reviewed Quarterly Journal of Economics, "legalized abortion has contributed significantly to recent crime reductions." Around 18 years after abortion was legalized, crime rates began to drop abruptly, and crime rates dropped earlier in states that allowed abortion earlier. Because "women who have abortions are those most at risk to give birth to children who would engage in criminal activity," and women who had control over the timing of childbearing were more likely to raise children in optimal environments, crime is reduced when there is access to legal abortion. [9]

It is for the reasons that I have stated above, and in my previous speech that I would encourage a vote against the resolution. I look forward to my opponents rebuttals and speech in the next round. Below you will see a list of the resources that I have used to write my rebuttals and speech. Thank you for your time.

Resources:
[1]Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, US Religious Landscape Survey: Religious Beliefs and Practices: Diverse and Politically Relevant, religions.pewforum.org, June 2008
[2]E.G. Raymond and D.A. Grimes, "The Comparative Safety of Legal Induced Abortion and Childbirth in the United States," Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feb. 2012
[3]American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and American Medical Association, "Brief of Amici Curiae [in Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas Surgical Health Services et al. v. Attorney General Gregory Abbot et al.]," acog.org, Dec. 19, 2013
[4]Roe v. Wade (342 KB) , US Supreme Court, lp.findlaw.com, Jan. 22, 1973
[5]Corinne H. Rocca, Katrina Kimport, et al., "Women's Emotions One Week after Receiving or Being Denied an Abortion in the United States," Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, Sep. 2013
[6]Susan A. Cohen, "Still True: Abortion Does Not Increase Women"s Risk of Mental Health Problems," Guttmacher Policy Review, Spring 2013
[7]Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health (ANSIRH), University of California at San Francisco, "Turnaway Study," ansirh.org (accessed Apr. 22, 2014)
[8]Annalee Newitz, "What Happens to Women Denied Abortions? This Is the First Scientific Study to Find Out," io9.com, Nov. 13, 2012
[9]John J. Donohue, and Steven D. Levitt, "The Impact of Legalized Abortion on Crime," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, May 2001 (Despite admitting to an error in one of this study's tables, Levitt has stated that "the story we put forth in the paper is not materially changed by the coding error." See Steven D. Levitt, "Everything in Freakonomics Is Wrong!," freakonomics.com, Nov. 28, 2005)
PikaNAW

Con

In this round I shall be defending my points

"In your rebuttals you stated that why would the women have sex when she did not want a baby. This implies that birth control is infallible." I am not implying anything in my statement. As a lot science teachers will say, "Birth control and condoms are not always 100% effective, so that is why abstinence is the best way not to be prone to STDs or becoming pregnant." Now, the only time I am okay with abortion is in extreme circumstances, as it is known the the mother will die or, hypothetically, if the baby has a disease that can threaten others. Then, I believe that the mother should have the choice. But let's say that a woman has sex and, "Oops, my condom broke and now I'm pregnant. Better go get an abortion!" I do not believe that a woman shouldn't get an abortion just because her condom broke or the birth control pill was not effective. As for the chance for the woman dying in childbirth, I did my research. It actually is possible to receive a c-section during labor. As for being shunned by people, it is very saddening, but that is the reason why there are organizations like Covenant House to help all those who have been abandoned. And as for the study on the mental health issues, you conveniently left out that 5% that didn't feel it was the right choice, and as for those 95%, they are only thinking about themselves, they are not thinking about all those they are affecting by their choice. Also as for the actual mental health, if they are angry, it was not the baby's fault so they should not take their anger on them. As for the crime rate, that is most likely because of how they are raised. They could have been raised to think that crime is the only way for living, but, as I previously stated, there are organizations to assist those in these circumstances.

I would like to thank Minddrag for being my opponent it my first debate, and I would like you, the reader, to make the decision you, your heart, your mind, and your conscience feel is right.
minddrag

Pro

In conclusion, Abortion must be considered legal. To prove why this must be the case, I will restate the essence of my previous undisputed points.

A fetus can't survive on its own. It is fully dependent on its mother"s body, unlike born human beings. Even if a fetus was alive, the "right to life" does not imply a right to use somebody else's body. People have the right to refuse to donate their organs, for example, even if doing so would save somebody else's life. The "right to life" also does not imply a right to live by threatening somebody else's life. Bearing children is always a threat the life of the mother. A "right to life" is, at the end of the day, a right to not have somebody else"s will imposed upon your body.

The US Supreme Court has declared abortion to be a "fundamental right" guaranteed by the US Constitution. The Constitution gives "a guarantee of certain areas or zones of privacy," and that "This right of privacy... is broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy.

Women who receive abortions are less likely to suffer mental health problems than women denied abortions.
Women who are denied abortions are more likely to become unemployed, to be on public welfare, to be below the poverty line, and to become victims of domestic violence. Abortion reduces crime, because "women who have abortions are those most at risk to give birth to children who would engage in criminal activity," and women who had control over the timing of childbearing were more likely to raise children in optimal environments, crime is reduced when there is access to legal abortion.

I will now rebut the point in my opponents previous argument:
My opponent stated "I do not believe that a woman shouldn't get an abortion just because her condom broke or the birth control pill was not effective." I do not understand why you stated that this should be the case. If the child is not to be born, as long as the birth control works, how should it suddenly be indisputably born, one day later because the control device was faulty. You are basically stating that abortion is an unjust form of birth control because it does what condemns do, only later.

All of these points prove that women should be allowed to receive an abortion under the constitution, and that women who receive abortion gain numerous benefits from it, along with lowering the crime rates among other things.

I thank my opponent for this wonderful debate, and look forward to debating with him in the near future. I would strongly encourage a vote for pro in this debate. Thank you!
Vote Placed by U.n 9 months ago
U.n
PikaNAWminddragTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by NothingSpecial99 9 months ago
NothingSpecial99
PikaNAWminddragTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited a round