BillTheGrave
stormsasuke180

Is Abortion Moral?

stormsasuke180 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

BillTheGrave

Con

I will begin by conceding any instances where the mother's life is at genuine risk and the unborn child cannot be saved. This applies to cases of rape as it is reasonable that the woman is a likely candidate for suicide. One human life is not intrinsically more important than another.

The reason abortion is immoral is because it is the senseless murder of an innocent human being.

Let me break that statement down by first establishing that the unborn child is alive and human by asking the question: What is the commonality between the blastocyst stage, the embryonic stage, the adolescent stage, and the adult stage?

At each stage it is the same person which is determined by the unique genetic code found in that person from the moment of conception (I will address identical twins with a simple article: https://www.scientificamerican.com......).

At each stage of development, the entity is human.

The unborn child is innocent as it cannot yet commit any crime whatsoever. The child did not choose to exist, a child is the result of decisions made by the other parties involved.

It is murder because the child did not initiate the attack and cannot defend itself.

It is senseless because the mother is killing the child with the help of a medical professional while being praised by society for it. The Hippocratic oath had to be changed to allow doctors to harm life.

Again, the reason abortion is immoral is because it is the senseless murder of an innocent human being.

(2)
stormsasuke180

Pro

I accept the argument. Now first, we need to make sure that at each stage of development, the entity is human. Where is your proof of this? Is it a human? Even so, lets move on. Why does the child have the right to use the woman's body without her permission? I think that abortion should be allowed and is moral. However, I believe the woman shouldn't have got the baby in the first place. I am a bit short on time so I can not elaborate but when I get home, I will continue in the second round in detail. Sorry for the rushed stuff.
BillTheGrave

Con

I addressed your points already in my argument, which I will demonstrate below, but I'd like to drive the point home that the unborn baby is human and alive. At conception, the unborn baby has unique human genetic code that defines them as a person. To have an abortion, you must kill the unborn baby. The unborn baby is both human and alive.

"Is it a human?"

At each stage it is the same person which is determined by the unique genetic code found in that person from the moment of conception (I will address identical twins with a simple article: https://www.scientificamerican.com.........).

"Why does the child have the right to use the woman's body without her permission? "

" I think that abortion should be allowed and is moral. "

stormsasuke180

Pro

Ok I can go into detail now that I have time. I do not agree with abortion but I respect the rights of those that choose to do so.
I do think that abortion should be allowed but not supported by the government. I hope this makes sense. Allowed but not supported. If the mother cannot support the child, then is it better to let the child suffer in poverty? I do not think that the child should have to suffer because the mother made a mistake and can't support the child. I feel that it is better to let the baby die than to have them suffer. The baby can't make the decision on what they want so I feel as if the mother is the person next in line. The baby can't choose what to eat so the guardian makes the decisions...I just realized I misread the question. I thought that it read is should abortion be legal. Well my view is yes and no. It is one of those, should the baby die or suffer through poverty. Now just having an abortion just to have an abortion? That is immoral in my opinion. It depends on the situation.
BillTheGrave

Con

"I do think that abortion should be allowed but not supported by the government."
This is not a debate about the legality of abortion. Abortion is legal.

"If the mother cannot support the child, then is it better to let the child suffer in poverty?"
So, if I think you are too poor to be happy, I can terminate you?

"I do not think that the child should have to suffer because the mother made a mistake and can't support the child."
I think you should give the child a chance to decide instead of murdering it.

"I feel that it is better to let the baby die than to have them suffer."
So, you get to determine the fate of another human being because of your feelings?

"Now just having an abortion just to have an abortion? That is immoral in my opinion. It depends on the situation."
Depend upon what? If you say, the mother's life, then I agree, but simply wanting to have an abortion for convenience is immoral to the core.

I hope your final response will deal with the arguments I have set forth. Can you debate that the unborn child is both alive and human? Can you debate that the unborn child is innocent? Can you debate that the unborn child is being murdered? Can you debate the senselessness of society openly praising the murder of unborn children?

"I do not agree with abortion but I respect the rights of those that choose to do so."
Why do you support the senseless murder of innocent human beings? Just because society says so?
Posted by Excerebus 1 month ago
Excerebus
@Salvador_Dali135
You're not implying that most abortions happen under the circumstances you mentioned, are you?

If you do a bit of researching, you'll find that an overwhelming majority of abortions happen for non-emergency-related reasons. Take away the abortions that arise from rape, life or death for the mother, teen pregnancies, and practically 75% of abortions still happen because "I forgot to wear a condom" or "I wasn't sexually responsible."

I hardly think you would want to kill an innocent human for convenience's sake.
Posted by Salvador_Dali135 1 month ago
Salvador_Dali135
Maybe it is not a question of it is moral or not, but what is the situation at the time. Sometimes without an abortion the mother and the baby can end up dying. Anything can happen, in some pregnancies the mother dies, the baby dies or both die. And in effort to save one of the two sometimes the mother has to keep living because the baby has no chance and poses a risk to the mother. I am not on either side of this argument, so that makes me pro choice.
Posted by tonyrobinson 1 month ago
tonyrobinson
Since most chicken eggs, especially those sold in stores are infertile then it is most likely neither. Either way it is not relevant.
Posted by tonyrobinson 1 month ago
tonyrobinson
Abortion is Murder. Nobody ever regretted not getting an abortion.
Posted by vi_spex 1 month ago
vi_spex
was an egg that cracked, a chicken that died or an egg that never hatched