Is Abortion Murder?

I am pro, which means that I think abortion is outright murder. First round will be just for acceptance, so your first round argument should be something like, "I accept" and anything else you want to say about the rules and/or format.

I accept. Here are the rules I propose, as well as definitions to clarify the meaning of the resolution.

1) No hate speech/ slander
2) No kritiks
3) No plagiarism
4) Please use citations
5) No forfeiture
6) No troll arguments
7) BoP is on Con, as they're trying to prove that abortion is murder

Round One - Acceptance
Round Two - Opening Statements
Round Three - Defense

Abortion - the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy.

Murder - the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

Ok. I accept those rules. The only acceptable forfeit is if you get the flu or something :-) Abortion is obviously murder. Thanks for that definition, btw. Yes. Abortion IS the killing of one human being by another. That baby is still alive; it is still a person. Murder isn't always unlawful. The death penalty is a sort of murder, and there are some places where defensive murder is legal. Furthermore, some places have abortion listed as illegal. So abortion is still murder, no matter what you say.

First, it must be clear that murder must involve consciousness.Conscious - aware of and responding to one's surroundings; awake. having knowledge of something; aware. [1] With this, can we say a fetus isn't conscious.

"For a fertilized egg, there is no consciousness and also no history of consciousness (unless you believe in reincarnation). Even though all the DNA is there, the fact that there's no higher brain activity strongly implies that there's no consciousness.

"Nor does the later presence of a heartbeat and of primitive neural activity imply consciousness or preciousness. What's needed is higher brain activity and the consequent self-awareness." [2]

In other words, the fetus isn't conscious. In fact, fetuses don't qualify for most of the characteristics of life in the first place. [3]

My citations are in the comments.

Your only argument there really is that the baby isn't conscious and doesn't meet the seven requirements of life. But, I'll do this the long way. My answers to all your paragraphs in order:
A fetus is conscious, as the only requirement of life that it doesn't complete (well, you say this, I don't) is responding to surroundings. Have you ever felt a baby kick? No matter how big it is, it still moves, and this is classified as responding to surroundings.
But there's still brain activity, which a dead thing like a rock doesn't have.
No, as I said, a dead thing like a rock doesn't have any brain activity or heartbeat. Therefore, the fetus must be alive.
Ha! I've looked over all the requirements of life. It completes every one! You say that it doesn't complete awareness, but it does. Especially since it's eyes can open the moment it comes out.

Side note to Con: I'll be going camping and won't be back in service till Thursday. Please wait as long as possible to post your argument :-) Thanks

I'd like to point out that my opponent never proves that a fetus is a human being or even a person. Here are the definitions to prove otherwise.

Human being - a man, woman, or child of the species Homo sapiens, distinguished from other animals by superior mental development, power of articulate speech, and upright stance. [1]

A fetus has none of these abilities.

Person - a human being regarded as an individual. [2]

So a fetus can't be considered a person, as it can't fit the description of a human.

My opponent also fails to explain the connection between the death penalty and murder. With the definition I provided, the death penalty isn't murder, as it's lawful.

Good bye.

Posted by MWonderWolf 2 months ago
Child sacrifice was murder to begin with. If abortion is only an updated version, then abortion is still murder.
Posted by Edlvsjd 2 months ago
abortion is an updated version of child sacrifice rituals
Posted by MWonderWolf 3 months ago
Hey, I had exactly 0 characters at the end of that argument!
Posted by MWonderWolf 3 months ago
And I forgive you for calling me stupid :-)
Posted by MWonderWolf 3 months ago
Yes, I understand all that, and maybe I should've written 'Should Abortion be Considered Murder', but I can't change that.
Posted by MattGreen 4 months ago
First of all, sorry for calling you stupid.
It was merely a response to your comment of "or are you too stupid to think of that?"

Surely you understand what i'm saying though, right?
This isn't about whether it's right or wrong to have an abortion
This isn't about what circumstances an abortion is justified
This isn't about whether a fetus is a human being
This about the term 'murder' and what it means.
It's all got to do with the way you asked the question.

Can't you see the difference between
Should abortion be considered murder?
Is abortion murder?
Posted by MWonderWolf 4 months ago
And please don't call me stupid. I haven't even been on DDO for a year.
Posted by MWonderWolf 4 months ago
No, I meant 'Is Abortion Murder'.
Legit reasons: rape, nothing, nothing, nothing.
If there's something wrong with the way I'm forming my arguments, please send me a message to point it out, so I can fix it.
Posted by MattGreen 4 months ago
MWonderWolf I would argue that it is you that is too stupid for a logical debate. You've completely missed the point here.
Again, you asked whether abortion was murder. For any killing of a human being to be considered murder it must be against the law. If the law allows the killing it IS NOT murder. It's very simple.

Take capital punishment as an example. If a death row prisoner is killed via lethal injection is that murder? No, it's not considered to be murder because the law permits it.
Nobody is denying that the act of execution involves one human being killing another, but we recognize that an execution IS NOT MURDER.
It's exactly the same as an abortion. If you live in a country where abortion is legal IT'S NOT MURDER.

I'm assuming what you intended to ask was something like
"Is abortion morally wrong?"
"Is a fetus a conscious being?"

And just so you know I don't like the idea of killing a fetus of any age, but there are lot of legitimate reasons a woman would need to have abortion.

It's okay, from the way you form arguments i'm going to assume you're quite young, but if you're not god help you.

Posted by missbailey8 4 months ago
Eh, to each their own.