BillTheGrave
Drtraumaty

Is Abortion moral?

Drtraumaty has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

BillTheGrave

Con

The question is whether abortion is moral. I say that it is in fact immoral and that society should denounce it. I am not questioning the legality of abortion. This is purely a discussion on the morality of abortion.

Refrain from insults, stick to the facts, give reputable sources, and demonstrate your side.

May the moral argument win.

(I am aware that this is to be an opening argument, but I do not want to scare people off with a strong argument that they cannot win. If you think you have the best argument, let's hear it.)
Drtraumaty

Pro

Greetings, my name is DrtraumaTy and I'll be debating you.

I say abortion is moral for the girls that have been impregnated by a rapist, the couples that are not yet economically fit to bare a child, and the parents that cannot take on another child. Which, essentially are the three prime reasons to abortion.

What is a shame to see is people try to press their own moral values against other people's lives; usually because it violates their religion, or their sentiments. It is exactly as James Madison had feared; a faction (the anti-abortionists) are trying to overpower the liberties of another and, thus, control their lives.

Since this is only the first round, I shall not use up my ammo too soon. I look forward to the in-depth reading of what con feels abortion immoral.
BillTheGrave

Con

I will begin by conceding any instances where the mother's life is at genuine risk and the unborn child cannot be saved. This applies to cases of rape as it is reasonable that the woman is a likely candidate for suicide. One human life is not intrinsically more important than another.

The reason abortion is immoral is because it is the senseless murder of an innocent human being.

Let me break that statement down by first establishing that the unborn child is alive and human by asking the question: What is the commonality between the blastocyst stage, the embryonic stage, the adolescent stage, and the adult stage?

At each stage it is the same person which is determined by the unique genetic code found in that person from the moment of conception (I will address identical twins with a simple article: https://www.scientificamerican.com...).

At each stage of development, the entity is human.

The unborn child is innocent as it cannot yet commit any crime whatsoever. The child did not choose to exist, a child is the result of decisions made by the other parties involved.

It is murder because the child did not initiate the attack and cannot defend itself.

It is senseless because the mother is killing the child with the help of a medical professional while being praised by society for it. The Hippocratic oath had to be changed to allow doctors to harm life.

Again, the reason abortion is immoral is because it is the senseless murder of an innocent human being.
Posted by BillTheGrave 1 month ago
BillTheGrave
Well, I guess my opponent did not come prepared for a real debate. I will be restarting this debate with the same argument, and I will continue to do so until a better argument than mine is presented.
Posted by Excerebus 1 month ago
Excerebus
Also, here's a little something for the OP to consider.

- Around 1.05 million (give or take) abortions are performed per year in the U.S.

Now consider the serious circumstances that lead to abortion:

- An estimated 32,101 pregnancies result from rape each year.
- Over 600 women die each year in the United States as a result of pregnancy or delivery complications
- A total of 249,078 babies were born to women aged 15"19 years in 2014.

I'm assuming that the OP will concede these points as morally acceptable exceptions to having an abortion. Some of these exceptions may cross over with each other, however, we'll separate them to get the biggest amount of excepted abortions. Calculating the difference between serious and non-serious circumstances regarding abortion, there are an unaccounted 768,221 other abortions that don't fall under the "serious circumstance category." I'm aware there are more circumstances to having an abortion, but these are the biggest categories I could think of.

Just something I thought I'd point out.

- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
- http://www.cdc.gov...
- http://www.cdc.gov...
Posted by Falperolf 1 month ago
Falperolf
Yes! It would! So what is the difference when the baby is still inside the woman?
Posted by Falperolf 1 month ago
Falperolf
SO WHAT! If your mother took you to a clinic when you were just born, and asked the doctors there to kill you, because, lets say your parents couldn't afford you, would that be morally wrong?
Posted by Excerebus 1 month ago
Excerebus
@dirtygabbchez666 No sh** Sherlock, you've figured out that abortion is the topic of this debate.
Posted by Excerebus 1 month ago
Excerebus
@dirtygabbchez666 Bud, the OP already acknowledged the legality of abortion. The contention here is its morality, AKA whether we SHOULD keep it legal based on moral understanding.

Did you bother to check what you typed? It's obvious that if you cause a pregnant woman (who wants to keep her child) to lose her baby in the womb, it's murder. However, the OP is contending that it is STILL murder on the MOTHER'S and DOCTOR'S part when abortion is carried out, and since the OP already acknowledged that abortion is legal, your supporting evidence of legal action making abortion credible is redundant and voided.
Posted by dirtygabbchez666 1 month ago
dirtygabbchez666
If you cause a pregnant woman (who wanted to keep the baby) to loose the baby in the womb, it's considered murder, but if you have a license and own a clinic and live in a certain state...as long as the woman asked you to terminate her pregnancy....it's called abortion.