Bookworm223
scots

Is Abortion morally and physically right?

scots

Bookworm223

Pro

Abortion can be necessary to save the life of the mother.
scots

Con

Aye it can but at the expense of another life.

I myself could have been aborted. My mother's life was in danger and the doctor told her to abort me for she could die, yet she decided to risk it, I am glad she did or else I would not be alive today.

Since the legalization of abortion in 1973, over 56 million unborn children have been killed, more than the entire population of Spain. That's 155 babies per hour. About 1 every 2.6 seconds.

Life starts at the moment of conception

This is the definition given in any respectable medical textbook. To declare a beginning of life at any point after the fusing of a wife"s egg and a husband"s contribution is irrational and an exercise in sophistic chicanery. Only machines such as clocks and cars come into existence part by part. Living beings come into existence all at once and gradually unfold their world of innate potential. A living human person begins to exist at the moment of conception, even though only as a cell. What is important is not the accident of size or weight but the essence " which is fully human. The unborn baby has a distinct, unchanging and unrepeatable genetic code, unique in all of history, from the moment of conception till death. Nothing is added except nutrition and oxygen.

Abortion is unsafe

Compared with other medical procedures, the abortion industry is largely unregulated. Although there are no exact statistics for the number of women who die from botched procedures, LifeDynamics.com compiled a list of 347 women killed by legal abortions since 1973.2 Furthermore, the National Cancer Institute commissioned a study lead by Dr. Janet Daling, an abortion supporter, and her colleagues at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center which found a link between abortion and cancer: "among women who had been pregnant at least once, the risk of breast cancer in those who had experienced an induced abortion was 50% higher than among other women."

A FETUS CAN FEEL Even though it may not be fully formed, a fetus in the second trimester is still able to feel pain.

ABORTION IS MURDER! And I'll bet if you asked an unborn fetus whether he fancies the idea of being murdered, it would tell you to at least wait until it was old enough to fight back.

Definitions:
Abortion: The deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy.
Murder: The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
http://www.abort73.com...
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
scots

Con

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."
- Groucho Marx

"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading."
- William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
- Robert Frost

"It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not."
- Andr" Gide, Autumn Leaves

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
- Albert Einstein

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it."
- Maurice Switzer

"Think before you speak. Read before you think."
- Frances Ann Lebowitz, The Fran Lebowitz Reader

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right."
- Isaac Asimov, Foundation

"God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas but for scars."
- Elbert Hubbard

"Faith is not a leap in the dark; it"s the exact opposite. It"s a commitment based on evidence" It is irrational to reduce all faith to blind faith and then subject it to ridicule. That provides a very anti-intellectual and convenient way of avoiding intelligent discussion."
- John C. Lennox

"Nonsense remains Nonsense even when spoken by famous scientists"
-John C. Lennox

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.
-Martin Luther

I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I can do no other, so help me God. Amen.
-Martin Luther
Posted by Bookworm223 2 years ago
Bookworm223
It was my first debate and a non-serious one
Posted by scots 2 years ago
scots
thank you
Posted by daley 2 years ago
daley
hi, i would greatly appreciate your vote on this as soon as possible. only have a few days left. http://www.debate.org...

scots, loved your arguments against abortion.
Posted by np84 2 years ago
np84
Whether abortion is moral or ethical depends on the circumstances of the parents and the period at which the abortion is carried out following conception. Initially there is just a group of cells and it would be difficult to perceive how eliminating those group of cells would be more any more unethical than shedding skin cells. There are advantages to abortion. With reference to the Freakonomics book by Levitt and Dunbar, crime in the USA dropped significantly as a result of legalisation of abortion in the 1970s. It is likely that the children would be born to working class parents or be placed for adoption. the children would therefore be provided with an unprivileged upbringing and would have increasingly resorted to crime. It could therefore be argued that aborting 1 child would save many more lives in the future.
Posted by scots 2 years ago
scots
can you extend time can't debate a t the moment
Vote Placed by mishapqueen 2 years ago
mishapqueen
Bookworm223scotsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded, and Con brought up very good and persuasive points.
Vote Placed by daley 2 years ago
daley
Bookworm223scotsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession and excellent arguments.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Bookworm223scotsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession