sonofathena
NewGreen

Is Africa The Most Unfortunate Continent?

sonofathena

Con

Africa... When we see it in an average human's eyes, we see a vast wasteland, a place where no men nor women can live comfotably in, a continent in which even a child needs to perspire for the survival of their family, a place where black men linger, a history of slavery, a wide epidemic, and a blazing deadly sun

But don't you think It's time to look further?

In my eyes, I see Africa as a garden of beautiful history. From the unique and colorful fabrics, to the tall and flawless pyramids. I envy the children of Africa, because after my fifteen years of being, I have never played on a playground as wide as theirs. I do not see poverty in their eyes, neither hunger nor uncomfortability. I see instead a big dynamite of creativity and culture waiting to explode into a blast of art and music.

What do I like most in Africa, you ask?

It is that even though they are under tons of discrimination and racism, we can still see the smiles and laughter on their faces.

Thank you for reading
NewGreen

Pro

If Africa is not the most unfortunate continent, which is?

According to most statistics, Africa remains the least developed continent in the world. Despite great resource wealth most of it's population are in the 1 billion people deemed to be in extreme poverty and living on less than a dollar a day. Surely it is absurd not to say that on average, the population of Africa are the most unfortunate in having to live in such conditions.

Africa is a continent of vibrant culture, amazing wildlife and promising emerging economies but at the moment you cannot deny what the statistics show.
sonofathena

Con

I would say the most comfortable ones, Europe, or North America. Why? Easy...
When we look at it logically, the Africans were trained to survive under the harshest of conditions. In terms of necessities, not so plenty, but this weakness is actually their strength. Can I ask you something? Can you survive with only one meal a day? Can you stand the extreme heat of the sun without any cooling agent? Can you work all day, under the most uncomfortable circumstances, and still have the strength to tend to your family's needs? I guess not, but they can.

Having this amazing survival skills, I could say that the Africans are indeed the most fortunate. Those who lived comfortably since birth, I doubt they have the same amount of fortitude. Now tell me, who's lucky. Those who fear in the thought of poverty, or those who laugh while being consumed by it?

Put sand in winter and it will not desolate. Put ice in summer and it will evaporate.
NewGreen

Pro

I hardly think African people living in extreme poverty would be laughing whilst under the burden of extreme hunger and dangerous conditions. You propose African strength is in their resistance to their inhospitable conditions. However, I see that as absurd, most African people have very bad fortune.
sonofathena

Con

Laughing is the only thing that keeps them from death, if you thnk the Africans in the harshest conditions don't smile or laugh, then the Africans in the harshest conditions should not really exist anymore. Fortune isn't about having extra needs, or being rich. It is about how you express the joy of living.
NewGreen

Pro

That is to say, African fortune is in their poverty?

The fact is, many Africans have very little to be happy about. Perhaps it is in that expression of tiny joy that they find great wealth but I am afraid you have repeatedly ignored the truth. Their lives are some of the worst in the world.