JM_928
KevinLomaxESQ

Is America a democracy?

KevinLomaxESQ

JM_928

Con

The United States of America struggles to define itself as a democracy with political powers redefining the district lines every ten years, politicians essentially have complete control over redrawing the maps to favor their party. But before this occurs, seats from slower growing states in population get taken away and given to larger states with rapid population growth to represent; this is called redistricting. Politicians have the power to manipulate district lines that may affect ethnic groups, political groups, minority groups, etc. For example, if there is a large minority group in a district, politicians may take action and redraw the lines to divide that large minority group into small portions so that the votes of those groups that were once strong and unified become weak and diluted. Politicians have put politics before voting rights and the representation of voters; the "Republican firewall" also known as Redmap is a Republican party program they use to help Republicans gain more seats at the U.S. House despite Americans voting in favor of Democrats. Maddow says, "Pennsylvanians cast 83,000 more votes for Democratic house candidates than their Republican opponents but elected 13 to 5 Republican majority to represent them in D.C.". This continue to happen with states like Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin. This negatively impacts the American voters because it means nothing to vote when numbers are being tilted toward the opposition to hold more authority. How are people supposed to believe that the U.S. is a democracy with such political schemes like this?
KevinLomaxESQ

Pro

Hello Con!
It seems you think America isn't a Democracy, because of it's representatives.
I say America is indeed a Democracy, particularly because of it's representatives.
America is known to be a "Representative Democracy".

REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY. A form of government where the powers of the sovereignty are delegated to a body of men, elected from time to time, who exercise them for the benefit of the whole nation.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...
JM_928

Con

JM_928 forfeited this round.
KevinLomaxESQ

Pro

Offering no new argument or rebuttal, it seems my opponent may have developed second thoughts on their initial position. As the second round has already been forfeited to me, I will simply restate my position:

I say... America is indeed a Democracy, particularly because of it's representatives.
JM_928

Con

JM_928 forfeited this round.
KevinLomaxESQ

Pro

There has been no rebuttal or response to my position.
As the second and third rounds have already been forfeited to me, I will simply restate my position:

Posted by NDman48 2 years ago
NDman48
This is stupid because he US is defined as a "Constitution-based Federal Republic."
Posted by NDman48 2 years ago
NDman48
Posted by cookie1 2 years ago
cookie1
Unfortunately, yes it is
Posted by AdamKG 2 years ago
AdamKG
Wow, I didn't expect this many people to state this fact. The United States is a Constitutional Republic, not a simple democracy.

@jonbonbon: Spedman is actually right. The United States has operated under a two-party system for most of its history for more like 200 years. Both current parties were founded in the early to mid 19th century; between 150-200 years ago.
Posted by Jonbonbon 2 years ago
Jonbonbon
Spedman, those official parties didn't exist till like a little over a hundred years ago. That's not where the names came from.
Posted by 2Sukh2 2 years ago
2Sukh2
I wanted to be con.
Posted by Spedman 2 years ago
Spedman
It is a democratic republic hence the two main parties of the government.
Posted by a_mysterious_stranger 2 years ago
a_mysterious_stranger
The US is a Constitutional Republic
Posted by a_drumming_dog 2 years ago
a_drumming_dog
It's a democratic republic
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
JM_928KevinLomaxESQTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Relativist 2 years ago
Relativist
JM_928KevinLomaxESQTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff.