Is America the Best Country in the World?

Started: 11/3/2014 Category: Economics

This argument will not be used to debate things like patriotism, and I do not want ignorant arguments such as "America is the best because it is." This debate will be used to actually discuss WHY (economically, educationally, militarily, etc.) America is the best, or why it is not. I will be taking the con in this argument.

Round One: Acceptance (No Arguments)
Round Two: Opening Arguments, No Rebuttals
Round Three: Rebuttals, Further Arguments
Round Four: No New Arguments, Further Rebuttals

I am looking forward to a good, healthy and educated sportsman like debate. If vile words come to mind when you read the title, then don't accept the debate. As I said before, I merely want factual arguments, not opinionated or non-backed up arguments.

Good luck to you during this debate. I think that america is the best country because of everything that it has to offer. We have the right to vote and freedom. We don't have to worry much because there are always jobs out there and america is a happy place where you can make friends and get a bite to eat at someplace fancy or just grab fast food. We did so much to make america the best place it can be and why do you think the Plymouth settlers came here, to practice religious freedom. Overall America is an amazing place. (Quesion: Where do you live, do you live in america)

Good luck to you as well, I look forward to an interesting and fun debate. And to answer your question, yes I do live and was born in the United States, and currently live in Kansas City Missouri. Now on with the debate.

To start off my arguments, I will look at America from an economic point of view. Currently, the United States is $17,923,922,407,755.46 in debt according to the United States national debt clock, which has gone up by three trillion from just a year ago. Being 17 trillion in debt is the first sign that the economic state of a nation is not up to par.

I also would like to point out the value of the American Dollar. When compared with other leading currencies around the world, here is what I've found [1]. American dollar to the Euro is about .80 cents, .63 cents to the British Pound, .47 cents to the Swiss Franc, $1.14 to the Canadian Dollar, $1.15 to the Australian Dollar, and $11.08 to the South African Rand. When comparing the dollar to the Rand, Canadian Dollar, or Australian dollar, America does better. But when it is compared to the leading currencies of the world, such as the Franc, the Pound, and the Euro, the dollar gets blown out of the water. This could be due to inflation of the American Dollar, or the superior economies of European nations.
On top of our economic decline, unemployment is still high, at 6% across the nation. With a population of 316 million as of the 2013 census, this equates to about 18,960,000 United States citizens being unemployed.

Now that i have briefly covered the economic decline of the United States, I move to my argument that deals with education. America is currently ranked 2nd in national ignorance globally [2], only behind Italy. America is also ranked only 24th in literacy rates, and 17th in educational performance. While this is far from last place, it is also staggeringly far from first. When compared to other economically "wealthy" countries of the world, there are only 34, and this is the scale the United States is placed on [3]. When we look at other places in our educational system, we see that America's dropout rate is the same as the unemployment, about 6% [4]. We can also explore how well American students do in other aspects of schooling. From 2009 to 2013, America fell from 25th to 31st in math, 20th to 24th in science, and 11th to 21st in reading. Keep in mind that these rankings are out of 34 places, meaning we are at the bottom of the barrel in math. These decreases are still declining, and are in need of reform, showing again America is not the best nation in another aspect of the nation.

To end my first round argument, I leave with a quote from the popular television show, The Newsroom.
"We're 49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, third in median household income, number four in labor force, and number four in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angles are real, and defense spending, where we spend more than the next 26 nations combined, 25 of whom are allies. So when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don't know what the (explicit deleted) you're talking about."

I again thank you for accepting this debate, and look forward to an answer, but remember, rebuttals must wait until the third round. Thank you again Pro!

My sources can all be found here, matching with the [#] in the text.

You have really good arguments. But what your saying doesn't explain what a great country america really is. America is not ignorant, It is actually very smart. I'm not the smartest person in the world but I know for a fact that america is not stupid. If america isn't the best country then in your opinion what do you think is. America has a lot of opportunities. We have the most productive economy, most valuable brands, best schools and collages, its a global spotlight, Ethnic diversity, Talent from around the globe, Minority rights, and most of all FREEDOM. When you come to america you can be free, you have rights as a person and no one can tell you otherwise. Now your debates are AMAZING and to be honest I don't think i'm going to win this but ill try.

Its not just about the bad things we have, i bet we have SOOOO many more good things then bad to say about us.

Thank you for a swift response pro, and I will now rebuttal your argument.

Above you state that America has the best colleges, yet fail to provide evidence to support your claim, whereas I have shown studies taken by students from around the globe that prove America has much room for improvement. To answer your question on what I think the best country is, I feel that in order to be considered the "best" one must prove that they are. America was once the best nation in the world, with a huge GDP, massive exports, a booming economy, and education that ousted Europe.

We don't have the best schools and colleges in America. Most nations in Europe provide free college education, which far outmatches that in America. Pro also states that America is the best because of freedom. Yes, there are many nations that do not have that opportunity, such as China, North Korea, Russia, etc. But there are also many countries that do. For example, Canada far outmatches the United States in a "freedom" aspect, as well as Australia, France and England. Freedom in America isn't necessarily freedom. All three countries above have gay rights, universal healthcare, and civil rights, which are all completely different topics. America as a "free" nation, can't even give basic rights to homosexuals, so the argument of freedom making America the best is also out of the question.

I appreciate this debate with you, and look forward to your response.

Happy debating!

We don't have a free collage EDU but that shows that we only want the best students in the collage and if you earn your way then you are a good student. I cant argue with the statement that Canada outmatches us in freedom but I can say that we have done so much and better things then Canada. We have computers in some schools now, We are advancing robots and making life easier, WE ARE PLANNING TO GO TO MARS. Now you are by FAAAAAR the best person I have debated with so far, but I do have to say that America has done these things. We do have some problems but our successes far out match those. America is a friendly place. We are trying our best to make it a better place. We have charity and hospitals made just for children and pets.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I do have one question. What country do you think is the best.

Thank you for your response Pro.

As rules say, I will make no new arguments this round, but Rebuttal yours made in the third round.

You state that we have charities for children and pets, but most countries also have these charities and benefits for those less fortunate. Now I can not argue that we have made amazing advancements in technology in the past. At once we had the most advanced nation in the world. This is undeniable, history proves it. Unfortunately, statistics now show the most technologically advanced nation in the world in Japan, who are also the global leaders in robotics engineering, unlike what you stated in your above argument.

I apologize my argument for this round is so short, but I am currently in Washington D.C as I am at a national newspaper convention. I wish you the best of luck in your last debate, and may the best debater win!

Before I argue I would like to say good luck to the con side of this debate.

You stated that Japan are the leaders in technology but that wont last for long. The fact that were going to Mars soon proves that we will soon be better. I cant argue this round so I cant say much because you posted true stuff that I cant argue with.

Good luck

Posted by smartStewie23 1 year ago
I am with Putt-Putt on this one and anyone else who believes America isn't the best country in the world. I'm not saying that they are the worst either. We used to be. We stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reasons. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors. Now all we want to do is kill each other. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances. We explored the universe, we cured diseases. We cultivated the worlds greatest artists and the worlds greatest economy. We reached for the stars, we acted like men. We were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed by great men who were revered. First step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one. If you realize our "ratings" with other countries. We are 7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, 3rd in median household income, 4th in labor force, 4th in experts. in facts I read we lead the world in only 3 categories. Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending where we spend more than 26 countries combined. So no America is not the greatest country in the world.
Posted by matthewmatt14 1 year ago
Well I have Many good reasons why we are better but Americans are better then other people and we don't need to prove it so you can go tell your friend that he is stupid.
Posted by DudeHouse 1 year ago
Matthewmatt14 youre the reason my American friends says, "i hate americans". America is the best because we're going to mars? U made almost no arguments! Why did u even accept this debate??!!
Posted by Putt-Putt 1 year ago
Cheyennebodie, there is no way you back that up. I can easily say that Mexico may not be the worst. Maybe some others feel Russia, or a country in the Middle East is worse. I guarantee that not everyone wants to live in America or emigrate here, for good reason. People in the Middle East burn the American Flag for God's sake. Making a blanket statement like that wont win you any debates, my friend.
Posted by cheyennebodie 1 year ago
America is the most sought out country to emigrate to. No one else comes close.Mexico has to be the worst. No one seems to want to live there.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
If you look at happiness, something all Americans are supposed to pursue, they the country that has the happiest citizen would be the best.
Posted by FreedomBeforeEquality 1 year ago
So it's not the best at a few things ... maybe middle of the road on some. I think you need to look at them altogether though. France may have one thing better ... america beats them hands down in everything else. That constitutes the best. Compare to the next country and so on.

You can't say it can't be the best by having to be better than the worlds best combined. You need to have 1 other country that has it all as a contender. Your points seem parsed out over all of these other countries individual strengths. Which one brings em all together?
Posted by Emilrose 1 year ago
There is no such thing as a "best country"--such a thing depends entirely on (subjective) opinion.
Posted by Putt-Putt 1 year ago
Yes. The goal of this debate will be to have Con(me) state why America is no longer the world's best nation, and con will argue why it continues to be
Posted by Jacob60rt 1 year ago
Will pro be stating why America is the best nation?
Vote Placed by Emilrose 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con was the only one to expound on his argument--and provide evidence (such as economic debt) in support of his stance. Pro relied exclusively on personal opinion rather than valid reasons on as to why he believes the U.S is the "best country in the world". For example, the vast majority of western countries have the benefits that Pro has listed; such as right to vote/freedom, minority rights, good schools and colleges, ethnic diversity, jobs, etc. As Con states, a number of countries actually overtake the U.S in these areas.
Vote Placed by JayConar 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con used well thought out arguments, whereas pro made vague claims of patriotic glory. No sources were used therefore sources are tied.
Vote Placed by Mr.Lincoln 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Torn on this one, so I gave points to both sides