Joebreezii
logomachy

Is America the greatest country in the world?

logomachy

Joebreezii

Con

P1: The United States is 48th out of 133 developed and developing nations in quality of math and science instruction.http://www.nytimes.com...
P2:The United States is 6th in medium household income http://www.gallup.com...
P3: We are only number 1 in prisoners per capita http://www.nytimes.com...
C: America is not the greatest country in the world, but we use to be and we are not anymore
logomachy

Pro

P1: The greatness of a country is determined by its strength over other countries.
P2: The United States is the world's leading military power. http://www.globalfirepower.com...

P3: The greatness of a country is determined by its total global power and influence.
P4: The United States is the world's most powerful and influential country. http://goo.gl... pardee.du.edu

P5: People choose to migrate to countries that are greater for them.
P5: The greatness of a country is determined by the amount of people that choose to move to the country from another.
P6: The Unites States consistently welcomes the largest amount of foreign immigrants. http://stats.oecd.org...

C: America is the greatest country in the world.
Joebreezii

Con

P1: The greatness of a country is determined by strength over other countries, in which we lack behind in many categories
P2: We only lead in military spending, prisoners per capita, and .people who believe angles and demons are real.
p:3 we lack behind education, economy, social issues where many other countries are much more progressive than us.
p4: The U.K also welcomes a large amount of immigrants as well
C: The idea that we are the greatest is not supported because we are lacking behind mostly all categories.
logomachy

Pro

Addressing P1: There is no country that is ahead in all the categories. However, as my P4 shows, The United States is well ahead of every other country when the total of all the relevant categories is calculated.
Addressing P2: Our military is the strongest as my second premise showed. While the amount of prisoners does not signify greatness, it does represent a strict and effective justice system. Beliefs are not relevant towards greatness.
Addressing P3: see above.
Addressing P4: Yes, the UK does welcome many immigrants, but the US welcomes the greatest amount as my sixth(seventh) premise showed.
The idea that we are the greatest is supported by the fact that we do indeed lead in most categories that can be used in judging greatness.
Joebreezii

Con

P1: The United States is not well ahead in relevant categories. I will reiterate, one of them is there"s absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we"re the greatest country in the world. We"re 7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, 3rd in median household income, Number 4 in labor force and Number 4 in exports, we lead the world in only three categories: Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending where spend more than the next 26 countries combined, 25 of whom are allies.
P2: Immigration has actually slowed after the 1960's, its not as dominate as it once was. If we were the greatest why are we behind
logomachy

Pro

Addressing P1: What I have been trying to say is that while the US does not lead in all those categories, it is still ahead of all the other countries when the averages of all the rankings of all the countries in all the categories are compared. If you study the Power Rankings from Round 1, you will see that while other countries are better than the US in many categories, the total average of all the categories reveals one leader: the United States.
Addressing P2: Yes, immigration has slowed, but the US still welcomes the greatest amount of immigrants every year, which was my original point that was backed up by proof.

The superior strength, influence and immigrant desirability makes America the greatest country in the world.
Joebreezii

Con

P1: You say," US does not lead in all those categories, it is still ahead of all the other countries when the averages of all the rankings of all the countries in all the categories are compared". US does not lead in many categories as I said except three which irrelevant to the strength, power, and greatness of a country. And to add to the "average" comment, if you do the math right if you are far behind 8 categories and only ahead in 3 irrelevant categories you are still not on top.
P2: We don't welcome the greatest amount of immigrants, its actually Canada. http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

This proves that America is not the greatest country in the world.
logomachy

Pro

The debate is over because we are only supposed to do 3 rounds, but I'll respond anyway.

I don't know what rankings you are going by. I am going by rankings from one reliable source: a center for international futures set up by the University of Delaware. They did the research and calculations. I presented their work. Did you do the math for every single country in the world to prove that the average of their rankings will not result in the US being the greatest? Doesn't look like it.
You better hope this round doesn't count because your article supports my argument. Canada is the first slide in the slideshow of countries which counts down from 8th most number of immigrants to 1st (USA). It says it in the first paragraph of your article.
Joebreezii

Con

I did not know it was suppose to be only 3 rounds. Well good debate. There are many sources to validate both our sides. We both had sources that were credible. My fault was not setting a specific criteria on "greatest". I believe I made a strong opening argument with good sources. Well this is how we learn and become better and I thank you for taking on this debate.
logomachy

Pro

Yeah sorry for being a buzzkill, you could have tried to keep it going, but I think the point was to try to complete an argument in just the few rounds with few characters which I think we did. But yeah good experience.
Posted by logomachy 2 years ago
logomachy
That is correct according to the power index. This debate is about the present in which the U.S. is ahead of the rest.
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
Pro gave a source which showed the influence (power index) or China, India and the US
China surpasses the USA in 2027
India surpasses the USA in 2056
So yeah, US is in rapid decline and it will continue to decline.
See for yourself
http://www.google.com...
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
JoebreeziilogomachyTied
Reasons for voting decision: I was confused by the 3 rounds statement. It must have been alluding to a previous conversation. That point aside, pro made a very strong case and con failed to do any damage to pro's case. I think it would have served con well, to control the definition of greatness early on.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
JoebreeziilogomachyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con essentially argued that there are several important categories that America does less than the best in, whilst Pro argued that, overall, America is still on top. Pro's power index argument was pretty damning, and Con tried to counter-argue by suggesting there are categories that America is doing poorly in, or at least, not the best in. Since this argument pertains to generalisations, rather than specific aspects of a country (in some cases, Con has shown America to be doing poorly), Pro's arguments are more convincing. Anyway, I have no idea why Pro suddenly declared the debate over, and I think conduct should be lost for that. Overall, a very succinct, well-sourced debate. America is definitely on the decline...