TN05
Quinoas

Is American football better than Association football?

Started: 3/18/2013 Category: Sports

TN05

Pro

The resolution of this debate is the title, that American Football is better than association football. For the purposes of this debate, the terms will be defined as follows:

American football - The code of football governed by the National Football League (NFL)

Association football - The code of football governed by the F"d"ration Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)

Better - Greater in excellence or higher in quality.

The debate will be three rounds:
1 - Acceptance/opening points
2 - Rebuttals
3 - Rebuttals/Closing arguments

Now, I believe that both American football (which I will refer to as 'football', con can refer to it differently) and Association football (which I will refer to as 'soccer', con can refer to it differently) are both good and, most importantly, fun sports. I have played football for 1 year as a kid and soccer for 2 years, and while I was never on a winning team, both sports were fun to play in - I played soccer first, and only became interested in football years later. During this debate I will argue that football is a better sport.

To start out with, football offers an array of possibilities that soccer prohibits. Football allows the players to touch, handle, and throw the ball, while kicking is allowed through drop kicks, place kicks, or punts. In contrast, soccer prohibits players (with the exception of the goalie) from 'handing' the ball; the only time other players can touch the ball with their hands is a 'throw-in'. This allows a much broader range of strategy that can be adapted to fit any team. A coach with a bunch of fast, agile players might run spread offense with a defense based heavily on forcing turnovers. One with a group of larger, tough players might run a smash-mouth, aggressive running game with a 4-6 defense. The possibilities in football are limited only to the rules and to the imagination of the coach. In contrast, soccer has a predictable formula - take control of the ball and try to get it into the goal. Strategy is certainly existent in soccer, but not to the extent of football.

Similarly, football is a game of greater strategy and teamwork than soccer. In football, each play is a literal battle - each player is assigned a role, and teamwork is so important that if even one player fails his task, the other side will quickly exploit it. Each role is important, and finding players that fit them is vital. Teams have hundreds of pre-designed plays they have have to learn, and there is potential for more if the quarterback calls an audible (changes the play before the snap). The offense will call plays that they feel can exploit the weak points of the defense, while the defense will call plays to exploit the offense's weaknesses. In close games, playcalling is a crucial element that lifts football into a game of wits. In contrast, soccer places emphasis on offensive players and goalies. Teamwork isn't nearly as vital, and one-on-one matchups such as striker on goalie are much more important.

Football places a greater emphasis on possession. Football has a system of four plays, or downs, in which the offense must travel at least ten yards. If they fail to do so, they lose control of the ball to the defense - this leads both the defense and offense to have distinct goals to achieve on every play. Because the offense has to advance the ball to keep the other team from having it, sitting on the ball or going backwards is almost never a good thing. In contrast, a 3-0 deficit at halftime in soccer may very well be insurmountable because your opponent could just waste time by kicking the ball back towards their goal every time they touch it. In football, a three-score deficit can and has been overcome due to stellar play. Games become gripping in final moments of close games, as the quarterback tries to chuck the ball deep in hopes of a miracle or the kicker lines up for a game-winning field goal. Further, turnovers themselves are much more significant in football than soccer - while soccer may have dozens or even hundreds of turnovers a game, a single turnover in football can swing a game one way or the other.

Another aspect of football which is better is the method of resolving ties. In football, you have a 15-minute overtime period. If the first team with the ball scores a touchdown, they win. If they kick a field goal, the other team gets the ball and can tie the game (in which case it goes to standard sudden death) or even win it with a touchdown. It is a very easy, fair system that rewards the best team. In soccer, however, ties in knockout games will ultimately be resolved by penalty kicks, a system as absurd as deciding a basketball game with free throws or a baseball game on a home-run contest. PKs don't reward the best team, they reward the best penalty-kicking team.

Finally, football has a much better clock system. Like most other sports, football features a declining clock each quarter. Football features many time stoppages, dragging a game out from 1 hour to 3-4 hours. However, this is much more sane than soccer's 'stoppage time'. Rather than actually stopping the clock for injuries, referees unilaterally decide to add a certain number of minutes for times that play was not active, due to injury or otherwise. In fact, this system has been proven by media sources to favor power teams like Manchester United by giving them more time. The potential for abuse is certainly there, while in football it is much less likely since clock stoppages are codified and highly regulated.
Quinoas

Con

I accept your challenge. May I bring up I will do some shorter answers and some long but I will try to get my point accros.
Overall it will be that international sports are better than national.
TN05

Pro

I would like to thank Quinoas for accepting this debate and to say that that premise is perfectly fine for this debate, as is length. It isn't the length that matters, it is the strength of arguments. As I have already given my opening points and my opponent has not given his, I will not use this round for arguments.
Quinoas

Con

Quinoas forfeited this round.
TN05

Pro

My opponent had forfeited his round; therefore, I assume he does not question any of my conclusions in my opening statements.

In addition to all of those points, a significant factor in football being better than soccer is that the fans in football, while very passionate, are not violent like soccer fans. 'Hooliganism' is rampant among soccer fans, and hooligans themselves have been responsible for incidents or deaths. Football fans, while very passionate about their teams, have had no such problems - despite watching games in stadiums that are easily double or triple the capacity of most European stadia.
Quinoas

Con

Quinoas forfeited this round.