jam34
Danielle

Is American football better than English football?

Con Tied Pro
Started: 5/5/2008 Category: Sports

jam34

Con

in english football you don't have to stop every 2 minutes and then take another minute to set up your team again. Also, it is not even football, it is much more like rugby, so they have even got the name wrong!
Danielle

Pro

Which is the better sport: Soccer or Football? This debate revolves entirely around opinion and personal preference, and therefore the answer is impossible to either prove or disprove. I don't necessarily feel that American Football is better than European Football; however, I chose to accept this challenge as an attempt to out-debate my opponent -- not to 'prove' that one sport is better than the other. I won't pull that "both sports are equally awesome" card but rather try to convince the voters that American football is the better game. For the sake of clarity, I will refer to AF as Football and EF as Soccer. Here we go...

My opponent offered 2 contentions as to why Soccer > Football.

Contetntion 1: You have to keep stopping in between plays.

A) You don't have to stop "every 2 minutes" in football and then take a minute to set up your team after every play. That is an optional game tactic - not a mandated one. For the most part, football can be played without stopping if the team wished for continued play. A lot of the time teams are intentionally stopping for strategical purposes - not because they need a break. I will discuss game strategy in a little bit.

B) But second, because these short breaks in between plays are for the most part unnecessary, I argue that they should be appreciated instead of condemned. Football is a very physical sport - more physical than soccer - and if players want/need to recooperate after a tough play, I feel that a short rest really isn't that big of a deal.

Contention 2: American Football should be called Rugby instead.

A) Speculation. My opponent's opinion about the sport's name doesn't support his position in this debate and therefore this should hold no weight.

As you can see, my opponent's points are extremely weak. I argue that at this point in time, none of his reasoning is compelling enough to prove that Soccer is better than Football. Thus I will include some contentions of my own that attempt to prove the opposite: that Football is better than Soccer.

1. STRATEGY

A) Football is a game that revolves entirely around strategy and planning. Coaches and players study and practice hundreds of plays for various game situations; they must be prepared for any outcome of a previous play. In Soccer, coaches and players do have playbooks; however, the opportunity for strategic planning in terms of winning or losing the game is a lot smaller and happens a lot less. For example, in a football game a coach may have to decide what is the best thing to do in a particular situation: go for the winning touchdown (6 points) or attempt to tie the game with a field goal (3 points). There is also the choice of implementing running plays or passing plays - which happens continually throughout the game - or perhaps yet another strategic move would be deciding whether or not to tie the game with a field goal kick post-TD (1 point) or go for a 2 point conversion. The options are great!

B) Regarding soccer, each goal is worth only one point. Both the number of options and outcome is a lot different, meaning that someone who appreciates a strategic game in addition to a physical would be better off playing or watching a football game than a soccer game.

C) Each team offers a little something different. Some have stellar defense and average offense; some prefer the running game to the passing game, etc. Studying and recognizing each team's strengths and weaknesses changes the way the opposing team plays the game and affect's their game strategy. Forcing a team to think and play smart makes for a more enjoyable experience. It offers variety and a chance for various people/plays to excel. It also changes the game up a bit to the point where the plays and whatnot are not continuous and repetitive.

2. PHYSICALITY

Football is a more physical sport.

A) First, in football you are allowed to use your hands. In fact, it's encouraged. However you also have to run (a lot), so you need good stamina the same way you need stamina while you're playing soccer. A huge difference is that hand-eye coordination is an important physical skill, and one you utilize while playing a game of football whereas hand-touching a soccer ball will get your team penalized.

B) Football is a "rough" sport, and a lot of sports fans like to watch agressive games. As athletes, football players are allowed to use their entire bodies in order to achieve their goal: tackle someone to the ground, stop a defender from hitting the QB, not let anyone past you into the endzone, jump on top of a rolling fumble, etc. Again you are penalized in soccer for any type of "foul play" that includes hitting or hurting your opponent.

3. TIE-BREAKING

A) If there is a tie at the end of a football game, another quarter is played (and so on) until the tie is broken. In soccer LEAGUE competitions, games may end in a draw. Now where's the fun in that?

4. TEAM WORK

A) Because of play books and plays, football is a lot more structured than soccer. That means that for a particular play to work, every team member has to be doing their job. For instance, during a passing play, the play will not be completed unless 1 - the ball is nicely hiked to the QB without interference or mistake; 2 - the offensive line properly protects it's QB to make an accurate throw; 3 - teammates distract/take down the defense in order to get the team's WR open for a catch; 4 - the WR is in proper position to make the play, and catches the ball; 5 - the offense surrounds/protects the running WR in order for him to get maximum yardage from the play, etc.

... And that's just the offense. There are special offensive and defensive units that take turns making plays and doing what's best for the team's common goal. This is interesting because a lot of times defensive teams have to go on offense (i.e. intercepting the ball and going for the TD), and vice versa (such as during an interception when the offense has to take down the other team).

B) You have head coaches, assistant coaches, offensive coordinators, defensive coordinators, offense and defense captains, etc... all working towards a common goal, and trying to collectively include every individual's strong point to work towards the team's advantage.

5. STRUCTURE

A) A lot of times soccer games are completely unstructured (especially if a team is bad, having an off-night, or just getting dominated by the defense) and all you see is 22 guys running back and forth chasing a ball. Granted there are 4 specific positions that soccer players have; however, they're not as versatile or distinct as a football position.

B) Soccer - Basically you have 1 ball being kicked back and forth. A player can either dribble it for awhile and increase the chance of the ball being stolen or kicked off course (... so it'll just go into play facing the opposite direction), or you can kick it down field immediately and send people on a wild goose chase just sprinting after this ball that in one second can be sent soaring in the other direction. It's kind of silly to watch sometimes. After an hour and a half of running back and forth, it is not uncommon to see a score of 1-2 or 0-3. So you have 0-3 big plays per team per game... wow. Good stuff. How exciting (note: sarcasm).

6. FAIRNESS

A) Football games are recorded, and often times close plays are reviewed by referees in order to make the best (most fair) decision. The calls are accurate because of the tapes.

7. THE ECONOMY (lol - for sh1ts & giggles)

A) Football stimulates the economy. The Super Bowl Game is viewed by millions, and advertisements during the game promote more consumer spending/viewing than any soccer game including the World Cup final.

CONCLUSION:

At this point in time, my opponent has 0 points to support his case. I have 12 to support mine.
jam34

Con

firstly, i would like to point out that stamina is more important, because a "wild goose chase" is more tiring. but in American football, you can stop every 2 minutes or rest while the other half of your team are defending.

secondly, "A lot of times soccer games are completely unstructured (especially if a team is bad, having an off-night, or just getting dominated by the defense) and all you see is 22 guys running back and forth chasing a ball," is very wrong. may i just point out that when in American football you run after a ball and then dive on each other. that's not silly (note sarcasm)

Tatics are very essential in soccer, just as much as Af, you have to look at the opposing team and then decide on their weaknesses and work on that.

to be honest, i don't really care if you have to play an extra quarter in each match. in soccer you could have a 0-0 draw but it still could have been a thriller.

Internationally, soccer has spread around the whole world creating many leagues across the country, childrens lives have been transformed by soccer. but with Af it has only spread to well, Canada! Well Done!

It takes a lifetime to work out the rules of Af and then know them off by heart, but in soccer it is simple, yet brilliant.

Lets have a recap, 12 points to me 0 to you!
Danielle

Pro

Opponent's Contention: Soccer is better because it requires more stamina.

My Rebuttal: I concede that a player probably needs more stamina to endure the constant back and forth running of a soccer game; however, I do not feel that this necessarily indicates superiority - it's just a factor of the sport. With football there are other physical factors/attributes that a player should have in order to succeed. For instance, a typical football player should be muscular and strong in order to have a better shot at playing/winning the game. While a soccer player CAN be these things, it does not play as much of a role in terms of the sport. Similarly, a football player can have A LOT of stamina, but with football, it's not as important of a quality.

I would also like to note that in terms of traits, a football player must be sharp both physically AND mentally. He has to be prepared to do rough things, such as both make and take tough hits that can put a huge toll on their bodies. Also, because stamina is such an important aspect of soccer, it puts restrictions on who can play. With football, the more agile and speedy players can play in positions such as RB, WR or TE, while the more stocky/slow/big/strong individuals can have offensive of defensive line positions.

Opponent's Contention: Football is about running after a ball and diving on each other.

My Rebuttal: In essence, all sports revolve around frivolous activity. Basketball is about throwing a ball into a hoop; bowling is about rolling a ball just to knock down pins - then put them back up; golf is about hitting a tiny ball into a tiny hole hundreds of yards away and chasing it; and soccer is about kicking a ball into a net. Big deal. The point is that these are sports/games that people love and enjoy. I pointed out that during unstructured soccer games, or during games in which the teams are particularly bad, all you see are 22 guys running back and forth and chasing a ball. I wasn't trying to mock soccer for that -- as you can see all sports are kind of silly -- but rather I was demonstrating that because football is more complex, it will never be as simple/monotonous as that. There will be shifts from offense to defense, and variation regarding plays (running/passing) that will always make it a more interesting game. I mean, many people might like soccer better and become more excited by/from it, but football is definitely more INTERESTING.

Opponent's Contention: Tactics are used just as much in soccer as they are in football.

My Rebuttal: I don't recall saying anything about tactics. I do remember stating that strategy is more important in football, but my reasoning behind that is clearly displayed in Round 1 along with how it's used more often than in soccer. Because my opponent offered no argument to support this claim whereas I have (and it's all true), I have clearly won this point.

Opponent's Contention - A tied soccer game could still be a thriller.

My Rebuttal: Absolutely. In fact I'm sure a game with a tied score is particularly exciting because both teams were unable to score -- there must've been some good defense. However there is no point to arguing this; what I was trying to get at in the previous round was that many people don't like games ending in a tie. Where's the fun in that? Players dream of victory - not a tied score, and fans at home cheer for excitement and bragging rights. So my point is that while an exciting game can end in a tie... which also happens in football... it's cool that the close, exciting football game actually continues until there is a clear winner.

Opponent's Contention: Soccer is a global phenomenon and not just limited to the United States and Canada.

My Rebuttal: This is true, but not because soccer is a better game. It has to do with culture and what people grew up with. Soccer will always remain a favorite - especially in less wealthy nations where all you need is a ball of sorts to play. Again, it doesn't make it a BETTER sport, but rather just reflects what is being made available to the people in other places. For instance there is no NFL (American football) in Brazil, so clearly it will not gain as much popularity. And besides, I could easily turn this around and say "Well because the U.S. is the greatest super power in the world and people here MUCH prefer football to soccer, football is obviously the better game." However I won't do that because this debate is about the sports themselves - not their popularity.

Opponent's Contention: It takes a lifetime to learn the rules of football.

My Rebuttal: An obvious exaggeration indeed. Clearly millions of people understand the rules of the game - think about how many players and fans there are nation-wide. While I'll admit that soccer is easier to pick up, I contest that it plays a part in which is a better sport. For instance, like I said earlier, in a lot of ways football is better BECAUSE of its complexity. I mentioned that soccer is very monotonous because of the very nature of the game, whereas there are many options and possible outcomes with football which make the game so interesting.

Final Point: I have refuted all of my opponent's arguments, and thus far he has still not addressed many of mine. I'd like to remind him and the readers that he should touch upon those points in the final round because I'll bring up the ones he has ignored. Thanks.
jam34

Con

jam34 forfeited this round.
Danielle

Pro

So my opponent forfeited the round.

I'll extend all of my arguments, and here's a re-cap:

I provided between 12 and 14 contentions that prove why American football is a better sport than English football. Whether or not you agree, it's clear that my opponent has addressed only 3 of these points (regarding stamina, physicality, and tie breaking) - all of which I have refuted effectively. He did not refute about ten of my points, including arguments about teamwork, structure, fairness, and the economy (lol). Because my opponent failed to address and argue these 10 points throughout the debate, they must be given to me.

Regarding the three points my opponent HAS addressed, first, I maintain that due to the complexity of the game, AF requires more strategy and is therefore a more stimulating sport physically as well as mentally. Second, I believe that a game can be exciting even if it ends in a tie; however, it is more fun when a tied ame is extended to present a final winner. My opponent has not refuted this argument. Finally, I believe that AF is a more physical sport because it requires stimina in addition to other traits, such as agility, strength, ability to take a hard hit, etc. Again my opponent has not refuted this point.

Basically, Pro has presented about 2 or 3 very weak arguments, all of which I have shot down effectively. I have presented ten more STRONG arguments than my opponent, none of which he has adequately refuted. Thus, regardless of your personal opinion, a CON vote is in order. I'd like to thank my opponent for the debate and thank the readers for reading :)
Posted by whiteflame 2 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: fire_wings// Mod action: Removed<

2 points to Con (Sources). Reasons for voting decision:

[*Reason for removal*] Vote placed outside of what is considered to be reasonable expectations for proper voting conduct. Contact head moderator Airmax1227 for details.
************************************************************************
Posted by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
When one is trying as hard as possible to win, every bit of skill/fitness is used.
Do you doubt gridiron is competitive?

Yes, Beckham is good-looking, but there are plenty of ugly soccer players too http://www.mcalcio.com...

I don't know what you mean about Americans calling the game "their own". Where/when?

Given the origins of the Aussies, Aussie Rules could well look like Gaelic football.
The problem with the term "Football" is that in the English-speaking world, it can mean Rugby Union, Rugby League, Gridiron or Soccer.

You may not be used to it, but there is no ambiguity in the term Soccer.

Cheers
Posted by ShannonDowds 8 years ago
ShannonDowds
english football is stunningly better than that american game you have the cheek to call football,
number 1: what skillis there in throwing a ball and hacking other players to pieces?
number 2: english football has way better looking players, than the beefed up losers americans have.
Why do americans try to call games their own, as australians do with aussie rules, it is basically a complete and utter rip off of gaelic football, and stop calling football soccer, its football, your stupid little game is not.
thank you :)
Posted by FBJames 8 years ago
FBJames
People should be ashamed of themselves for voting pro.
Posted by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Congrats to Manchester United, once again pulling one out of the hat! :-)
Posted by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
Ps. Let's go Giants

New York City <3
Posted by jam34 8 years ago
jam34
british football is so much better than American football, i can't believe your debating over it!
Posted by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
That argument is kind of like saying

"Oh, that boy Kenneth doesn't look like a Kenneth, he looks more like a James. His parents named him wrong!"
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 7 years ago
Vi_Veri
jam34DanielleTied
Vote Placed by SaintNick 7 years ago
SaintNick
jam34DanielleTied
Vote Placed by numa 7 years ago
numa
jam34DanielleTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 7 years ago
JBlake
jam34DanielleTied
Vote Placed by ShannonDowds 8 years ago
ShannonDowds
jam34DanielleTied
Vote Placed by DorothyDorothy 8 years ago
DorothyDorothy
jam34DanielleTied
Vote Placed by HungryAssassin 8 years ago
HungryAssassin
jam34DanielleTied
Vote Placed by GleefulJoker 8 years ago
GleefulJoker
jam34DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Fantasticlover 8 years ago
Fantasticlover
jam34DanielleTied
Vote Placed by JeffGordon 8 years ago
JeffGordon
jam34DanielleTied