miloisqueer
GAT

Is Any School System a True Judge of Intelligence?

miloisqueer

Con

I will allow my opponent to make the first comment (as well as the last). I debate this because I'm curious about others' opinions, not because I'm particularly concerned with winning.

Rules:
No personal attacks. Ad hominem will be strictly punished with disqualification.
If you're going to cite sources, please do so with either links (if online) or in an understandable format.

I'd like to make clear that you're more than welcome to argue with opinions as opposed to studies or verifiable facts. I'm interested.
GAT

Pro

All schools systems are measures of intelligence. As the graduated process required to navigate the system requires and demonstrates intelligence and a growth thereof.

I accept the definition of intelligence to be: the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills (google)
miloisqueer

Con

I accept your definition wholeheartedly. Thank you for accepting!
I would also like to define school systems as those in America. I am not qualified to argue on those in other regions.

Certainly school teaches how to 'navigate the system' as you say, but I would go so far as to say that perhaps this navigation is not based on knowledge or ability, but on charm and memorization skills. In many situations, it's been shown that authority figures as well as peers are more likely to be lenient if a person is attractive. "People assume that a person who's very good looking is doing a better job than in fact they are doing. So they rise up in the company, and they have more status. They have more power," (http://abcnews.go.com...)

In addition, school often tests one's speed and memory, as opposed to true mastery of the topic at hand. Children are expected to conform to every sort of societal norm in their school career as well as obeying every rule without ever questioning it.

No doubt you've heard children saying things such as "I hate school! It's boring!" etc. Most of this griping could feasibly be avoided by a change in teaching method and material. Schools oppress creativity and curiosity, while simultaneously encouraging a very submissive approach to any authority. It's simply brainwashing, to put it bluntly.
GAT

Pro

GAT forfeited this round.
miloisqueer

Con

miloisqueer forfeited this round.
GAT

Pro

GAT forfeited this round.
miloisqueer

Con

{Reposting, because I have nothing to argue against until further evidence and points are presented.}

Certainly school teaches how to 'navigate the system' as you say, but I would go so far as to say that perhaps this navigation is not based on knowledge or ability, but on charm and memorization skills. In many situations, it's been shown that authority figures as well as peers are more likely to be lenient if a person is attractive. "People assume that a person who's very good looking is doing a better job than in fact they are doing. So they rise up in the company, and they have more status. They have more power," (http://abcnews.go.com......)

GAT

Pro

GAT forfeited this round.