SpentBrass
The_Saboteur

Is Atheism a Lie?

SpentBrass

Pro

I have yet to receive contradiction to my argument, but for when I get contradiction I ask that there be no cursing. Please use logic.

Personally I am a Christian.

I will now start my argument.

By definition, belief is a feeling of being sure that someone or something exists or that something is true (Source: Merriam Webster). Disbelief is a feeling that you do not or cannot believe or accept that something is true or real (Source: Merriam Webster).

Since nobody can say that they know whether or not God exists, any person who claims they can say is, by definition, a liar.

Therefore, since atheists say they "know" that God doesn't exist, they are liars.

Well, why do scientific supercomputers say there is no God? Because no computer is built knowing everything. They have to be programmed to say so. No evidence there.

I wish my opponent luck, and please use grammar and logic.
The_Saboteur

Con

Alright, first off, I am going to thank my opponent for being civil about this. Many believers in a god or gods I have dealt with are quite rude and usually resort to cursing me out or just freaking out. So thank you for being courteous. I wish you luck as well.
I, personally, am an Atheist.
Merriam-Webster lists the full definition of belief as "a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing." Therefore, as an Atheist, I am placing my trust in the notion that your beliefs are not quite what they seem. Perhaps there is a god above us, as you seem to believe, but from my point of view of things, no such thing exists. The dictionary definition of disbelieving is "to withhold or reject belief." I am rejecting your belief that God exists and I am instituting my own belief that there is no higher power, no afterlife, and no book to live by. I am not, however, claiming that your beliefs are false or proven/disproved by evidence. I am also not saying my beliefs are proven, nor am I "lying" to myself by 100% believing that you are wrong. I am in now way claiming to know that god does not exist. I am just trusting that god does not exist, and having confidence in my beliefs.
Side Note: By what your argument states, aren't Christians and Muslims and Jews and all other forms of religion also liars? They cannot prove that god exists, so why should your argument be only again atheist? Might want to rethink your topic.
SpentBrass

Pro

I am not in any way intentionally saying that anyone who follows a religion involving a god or gods is a liar. Those who say they know the truth about this subject without giving evidence is a liar. However, one who gives proof on why they think what they think, and there is "proof" out there for both sides, is not necessarily a liar.

My beliefs stay the same.

I apologize if I may have insulted anyone for anything.
The_Saboteur

Con

It is alright my friend. I am not insulted by anything you have said. I will however state yet again that Atheists are not by any means liars, because not all atheists claim to know for sure that god is not real. However, those who do claim to know are liars, and that rule applies to all religions. Still, I understand what you are getting at.
SpentBrass

Pro

SpentBrass forfeited this round.
The_Saboteur

Con

The_Saboteur forfeited this round.
SpentBrass

Pro

SpentBrass forfeited this round.
The_Saboteur

Con

The_Saboteur forfeited this round.
SpentBrass

Pro

SpentBrass forfeited this round.
The_Saboteur

Con

The_Saboteur forfeited this round.
Posted by Jjjohn 10 months ago
Jjjohn
The double slit experiment gives contradictory results about a real phenomenon; is light a wave or a particle. Light exists, but if existence is absolute, such a contadiction shouldn't happen. You claim is questionable given the evidence of the double slit experiment.
Posted by vi_spex 10 months ago
vi_spex
so the double slit experiment dosnt happen? you are confusing yourself
Posted by Jjjohn 10 months ago
Jjjohn
"existence is absolute"

then things like the double slit experiment shouldn't happen. but they do.
Posted by vi_spex 10 months ago
vi_spex
existence is absolute
Posted by Jjjohn 10 months ago
Jjjohn
" if an atheist or theist claims to know the truth"

this statement contains a implicit absolute - that there is a 'the truth'. since truth is a property of statements, why should truth be absolute?
Posted by NoToleranceForIgnorance 10 months ago
NoToleranceForIgnorance
Well as other have said, if an atheist or theist claims to know the truth (there is a God/there isn't a God) then they are of course lying.

But I know some atheist that claim that the God of for instance the Bible or Quran doesn't exist, and this is arguably true.

The Quran is the word of God according to Muslims, but there are plenty of statements we can prove are wrong today, so that basically busts that the statement that Quran is the word of God, or it busts that God is real.

I assume the same thing goes for Christianity, but I'm not sure because I'm not well enough educated on this topic, unfortunatly.
Posted by Longline 10 months ago
Longline
First of all if you claim to be an Atheist there is a definite purposes ad believe that you stand for.

so you ask yourself, can i say i am a christian and not believe in God? or can i say i am a christian and not be govern by these term?

And i do believe the actual definition of christian is someone who believe in God, specifically Jesus or Jehovah.

so by definition if i claim to be a christian that means i am being govern by these terms.

same is true for Atheist.

you said "because not all atheists claim to know for sure that god is not real"
All Atheist do not believe that we have a god, unless one does not claim this title as Atheist. if you consider yourself an Atheist that means you are govern by that title.

And if that is not the case then do not consider yourself as an atheist.
Posted by vi_spex 10 months ago
vi_spex
like any unicorn
Posted by vi_spex 10 months ago
vi_spex
it is true that god is not real
Posted by The_Saboteur 10 months ago
The_Saboteur
Thank you! I am very excited to engage in an intellectual debate with you, my very courteous companion!