Objective_Being
Saska

Is Atheism is the lack of belief in a god?

Saska

Objective_Being

Con

First round is acceptance.
Saska

Pro

Thank you for issuing the challenge for this debate. I accept and await your opening statements.
Objective_Being

Con

So what are the two forms of atheists? The answer is agnostic and gnostic. [1] [2]

Here is an aitheist agnostic and gnostic defined

Aitheist Agnostic [1] [2]

: An atheist agnostic is someone who does not believe in gods and also thinks that the existence of gods cannot be known. This might mean that they don"t believe in gods because they haven"t seen any evidence that supports their existence.

: You disbelieve in God without "knowing" whether it's true.

Aitheist Gnostic: [1] [2]

: An atheist gnostic is someone who does not believe in gods, and who thinks that we can know that gods do not exist. A fairly unusual position, they might think they have found proof of the non-existence of gods, or might have been persuaded by life experiences.

: You disbelieve in God and "know" this is true.

If you wish to continue this and make a radical claim that Gnostic Aitheists don't exist by all means go ahead, but I think this argument by me will rap up the debate.

(Note:

In the title I had a minor error in writing the resolution, and the resolution should read:

A: Is atheism the lack of belief in a god?

B: Atheism is the lack of belief in a god

Either way it's the same however I apologize for adding an unneeded is, and voters may decide to take of conduct at their descretion Just to clarify this debate began because of a definition in another debate so both of us fully understand what we're debating and this will have no effect on the debate.) [3]

[1] http://www.atheistrepublic.com...
[2] http://freethinker.co.uk...
[3] http://www.debate.org...
Saska

Pro

What is the definition of theism? "Belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes with the universe" [1]. Or, "belief in the existence of a god or gods; specifically: belief in the existence of one God viewed as the creative source of the human race and the world who transcends yet is immanent in the world" [2]. I provided two credible sources to show the definition has some consistency across the board.

A simple browsing of the definition of atheism shows varying definitions, which would suggest that there is some disagreement on the overall definition, thus relying on the definitions of the word from dictionaries is not credible for this argument. Some of the definitions include assumptions about atheism in their definition, rather than just the definition of the word itself. For example, one site states that atheism is "disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods" [3] while another site states that it is "the doctrine or belief that there is no God" [4].

There is a major difference between lacking a belief in a god and believing that there is no god. The latter assumes that a person recognizes the various possibilities of god and rejects them. This is a false assumption of atheism. It is true that a person who is an atheist can reject the belief in god but that is not required in order for one to be an atheist. My opponent goes into the definitions of gnostic and agnostic atheism, but that is outside the spectrum of this debate. We are debating the definition of the word atheism, not the definition of a term combining atheism with qualifiers. Gnosticism/agnosticism are merely a statement of certainty in one"s beliefs. If I was to ask someone if they believe in a god, answering yes would mean they are a theist, answering no would mean they are an atheist. If I then asked them how certain they are, that would then determine whether they were gnostic or agnostic. Those terms have no ability to alter the definitions of theism and atheism. And many will argue that there is a third possible answer, "I don"t know." Well if you do not know, then you do not believe. Belief requires knowledge of that which you believe in. A lack of knowledge means a lack of belief. You cannot believe in something you do not know about.

This now ties in to the specific definition of atheism. Now since there seems to be some disagreement amongst the dictionaries, let us look at the word itself. A-Theism. I have already provided a definition of theism above, basically, the belief in the existence of god(s). So what does the "A" mean? The prefix "A" means not or without [5]. So if theism means the belief in the existence of god(s), atheism simply means not or without the belief in the existence of god(s). There is no rejection of gods required in the definition, atheism is purely without a belief in gods. Any further addition to this definition is making assumptions about atheism that are purely incorrect.

[1] http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
[2] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[3] http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
[4] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[5] http://www.englishclub.com...
Objective_Being

Con

Objective_Being forfeited this round.
Saska

Pro

I will leave my opponent one more opportunity to respond to my initial argument, then I will offer my conclusion.
Objective_Being

Con

Objective_Being forfeited this round.
Saska

Pro

It seems apparent that when my opponent made the claim that "I think this argument by me will rap up the debate," he meant that he felt there was no need to say any more. He made the assumption that I would make a radical claim that I did not, nor did I ever intend to make.

My argument is based on the most basic definition of atheism. There are many assumptions made about atheism, but the real definition, ignoring all personal thoughts and assumptions, is the lack of belief in god(s). We know what theism is, and there are few assumptions made beyond that. A theist believes in god(s). There are many other things a theist believes in and many reasons as to why they believe in those things, but those are not covered in the definition of theism. Words like Christian or Muslim help to clarify the broad title of theist with more specific details on the beliefs of a person. In the same sense, atheism is merely a lack of a belief in god(s). Some atheists claim to reject god(s) while others simply do not know gods. Terms like gnostic and agnostic help to better define an individual's stance on the divine.

Other similar words have no argument over the meaning. Look at the word symmetry. Symmetry is "the quality of being made up of exactly similar parts facing each other or around an axis" [1]. Asymmetry is "lack of equality or equivalence between parts or aspects of something; lack of symmetry" [2]. No one claims that asymmetry is the attempt to reject symmetry. Sure, an artist might use an assymetrical style due to the dislike or rejection of symmetry, but that does not change the definition of the word. In the same sense, theism is the belief in god(s) and atheism is the lack of theism. Reasons people have for believing or not have no impact on the definitions of the words.

I would like to thank my opponent for challenging me to this debate and I would like to thank anyone who took the time to read it.
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
I also: :-D~ " Is Atheism Is", hmm
Could be a harmless mistake or does it mean Con had better watch the use of Language.
Posted by LiberalLogic101 2 years ago
LiberalLogic101
I think this is a very interesting debate. I'd love to see how it turns out.
Vote Placed by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
Objective_BeingSaskaTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think the Instigator got confused concerning the Debate Topic. Should have been worded differently.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Objective_BeingSaskaTied
Vote Placed by philochristos 2 years ago
philochristos
Objective_BeingSaskaTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit