AveyC
Selenia

Is Barbie a good role model?

Selenia

AveyC

Con

Hello, Thank You for joining me.
I do not think Barbie doll is a good model she is perfect, has flawless hair and makeup, and Ken is the picture perfect boyfriend. Normal teenage girls like me are not this we don't have a hourglass figure with pin-straight hair. Barbie is setting the bar too high for preteen and teenage girls, they feel they need to be Barbie and when they can't catch her their self-esteem drops. This is why Barbie is not a good role model for girls.
Selenia

Pro

Barbie is the doll that shaped the childhood of millions. She shows little girls that they can do it all, even become an astronaut if they please, and do it all in sparkles. She calmly accepted the criticism thrown her way, and continued to be herself, a lesson in and of itself. She is teaching little girls to be anything they want to be.
AveyC

Con

Barbie may have shaped millions but for many girls not in a good way, Many girls have held in their low self-esteem because of Barbie. I can say that many girls have compared themselves to Barbie. For example, a 6 year old may be playing with her Barbie's, she looks down at Barbie and says "Barbie I'm not pretty like you" her self-esteem is shot. Although Barbie career is teaching girls to be anything they want to be she is sending them the message that they can be anything they want to be but they have to be perfect at it.
Selenia

Pro

Also why would a 6 year old compare to her self to Barbie? There really is no need to make a big deal over the body type of a doll,. Barbie receives all of this criticism for her body type. This was so important because little girls could then learn from Barbie that they do not need to conform to the ideas of society, but instead is able to do anything they want to do or be anything they want to be. Some 6 year old have dreams. Barbie is telling them they can be anything they want to be.
AveyC

Con

Not necessarily a 6 year old, my comparison was basically a young girl. No, this debate is not necessarily about Barbie's body type but the great impact Barbie has on young girls and their self-esteem. Barbie yes is telling young girls that they have the ability and freedom to be anything they want to be but while wearing perfect hair and makeup she is telling them that they have to be perfect at what they dream to be and she is basically giving them guidelines to follow while girls are trying their best.
Thank You for this argument.
Selenia

Pro

As I do agree with my opponent that Barbie is helping little girls follow their dreams while being perfect. Right there, my opponent is wrong. We have to remember that she is plastic and not real. She is not responsible for girls who want to be like her. She is just merely a doll to play with and a tool for imagination, creative play that awakens the storyteller in a young girl. She lives in her world which is an illusion. Barbie does not represent the people around us. Barbie is is encouraging little girls to be anything what they want to be. Not be perfect at it or how they should look like. Ever heard of her slogan " Be who you wanna be"?
Posted by raskuseal 1 year ago
raskuseal
I support con on this, and to support her debate, Liston and read the lyrics to the barbie song. trust me. that is nowhere near age appropriate for children. In the song, barbie says that she is a beach blonde bimbo, undress her anywhere, and kiss her anywhere, amongst other things. VERY inappropriate and demeaning for women.
Posted by Kozu 1 year ago
Kozu
The children need to set realistic goals they can achieve overtime, so they can better be able to come closer to achieving her figure. As a "model", she is setting the idealistic standard not the realistic standard. Although ideals can't always be achieved, its better to strive towards them than away.

Would you rather her be plus size? I don't.
Vote Placed by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
AveyCSeleniaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not fulfill BoP. No sources were used for Con's statements.
Vote Placed by Inquistive 1 year ago
Inquistive
AveyCSeleniaTied
Reasons for voting decision: The arguments were tied for the most part but Pro seemed to repeat the same reasoning over and over, making it seem that they didn't ave much to convince you with. Therefore, my vote goes to Con.
Vote Placed by FlatEarthSociety 1 year ago
FlatEarthSociety
AveyCSeleniaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither side presented any feasible arguments. Therefore, I will give my points to the person kept didn't fail to keep their burden of proof. Con immediately started the debate with "I do not think Barbie doll is a good model..." Therefore, with this positive claim, Con assumes the burden of proof. Pro had to be the skeptic of it. Pro succeeded since Con failed to bring any claim that wasn't just an assertion. I give my most convincing arguments to Pro.