louigi
AlfredCSM

Is Beauty Not Important?

louigi has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

louigi

Pro

You will have a total 3 rounds to argue, and in the first round, you need to say that you accept the discussion. Font size should be 12 pt. You will be on the pro side to argue, and your time to argue is 3 days. The voting will last 10 days, and we will see who wins!

AlfredCSM

Con

It will definitely help facilitate the debate if you began with your views on the topic you selected, instead of making statements specifying things of lesser importance (e.g. font size).

Having accepted the debate as the "Against", I will begin with the assumption that it makes my stand: Beauty is not important.
Beauty as a whole (both "inner" and "outer") is may not be important but then again it depends on the situation in which beauty may be considered.

As an example: beauty may not be important when we consider the effectiveness of an astrophysicist in his/her field of research. This is true because there has not been any direct correlation identified between beauty and an individuals capability of understanding chemistry and physics principles.
louigi

Pro

I am very sorry for saying this, but I have defined the resolution wrong.
The debate was about outer beauty.
Again, I am very sorry.
This debate can no longer serve to a purpose.

AlfredCSM

Con

Well louigi, this debate can still continue for the next two rounds if you will realize that the example I provided (of the astrophysicist) is applicable to both inner and outer beauty. Do provide a rebuttal, considering only outer beauty.
louigi

Pro

As you wish.
I will keep setting my arguments.

Outer beauty isn't important.
There is more to beauty than what meets the eye. The inside counts. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If we only look at people’s external beauty we would be missing out on all the beauty they have inside. Our internal beauty includes our personality. Imagine someone who is utterly beautiful yet has a dark personality. The love, humor, kindness it's all beauty yet we can't see that just from looking at someone. You need to get to know them. Talk to them. Understand your differences. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Don't judge a person on how they look. Take the Trojan horse for example, the Roman thought that it was a beautiful gift and they accepted it. However, the disaster inside felled the Romans. And humans are like that too. For another example, candy. The packaging may look cute, but the candy may be bitter. Likewise, humans are creatures with many faces and can be much different on the inside.

AlfredCSM

Con

Thank you for your response.
However, I believe you might have accidentally adopted my stand in this debate.
But this is a small issue and for the sake of continuity, I shall reverse my stand in this debate and attempt to rebut your statements.
My stand now becomes: Outer beauty is important.

You are most certainly right when you mention that humans can be very different on the inside (from what we might expect when observing the outside).
As you have noticed, before we even speak to another individual, the only form of interaction is visual. We use our sense of sight to observe the physical qualities of the other individual as an in-built human survival instinct. To provide more details to my statement, this in-built human survival instinct dates back to the pre-historic era, when the less evolved species of humans were "hunters and gatherers". For instance, if we happen to spot an individual with physical features reminding us of a violent prison escapee, our brain automatically goes into a "fight-or-flight" mode. This is the hard wired survival instinct I am referring to. It bears little consequence if the threatening individual might actually be a very kind and humane person, opportunity for vocal interaction has been foregone for a greater certainty of safety. And as a result, any existent inner beauty no longer matters.

Your example of the "Trojan Horse" is an interesting one. However, it may not be so prudent to compare it with the inner beauty of an individual. Making such a comparison is akin to considering a human-being as an empty shell with replaceable/manipulable insides. Instead, perhaps the example of the children's story: The Frog Prince might be better.

Now allow me to provide an example where outer beauty is important: show business. In show business, emphasis is on the physical appearance of an individual. Take Susan Boyle for instance, the world was blown away by her beautiful and powerful voice. But she was driven to the brink of psychological exhaustion by the multitude of naysayers who criticized her for her physical appearance.

Do take a look at this link: http://www.harpersbazaar.com....
I understand that this website isn't particularly verified, but it is just to help prove my point about show business.
Posted by louigi 1 week ago
louigi
this discussion is about outer beauty.
Posted by AussiePotato 1 week ago
AussiePotato
Before I accept I have a question:
does this mean beauty in general or beauty as in a appearance of a human being judged and put into a category as "ugly".

I would like to know and if it is number two then I will not accept if it is number one then I might accept.

-Thank you
Posted by hwp460 1 week ago
hwp460
In addition to ImpatientLinguini's question, so are you saying beauty is or isn't important?
Posted by ImpatientLinguini 1 week ago
ImpatientLinguini
Are we arguing about Inner or outer beauty?