SnaxAttack
Dark_Soul

Is Bowling fun, when playing it?

Started: 8/20/2015 Category: Sports

SnaxAttack

Pro

Hello! By the time this debate is posted, it will be my Birthday. For my Birthday, I decided to go bowling and thought of a fun debate about whether or not Bowling is fun when it is played. I am on the side of Pro, meaning that I am stating "Bowling is fun, when playing it" and Con will do the opposite. This debate is not about who has more facts, its more about who can post a stronger argument to their side than the other; the decision will be made by the Voters. This debate is supposed to be more "mild", than "hardcore"; so please realize that before accepting.

Rules:
No forfeits, unless both sides forfeit the same amount of rounds; then it is fair game.
No foul language of any kind, both sides must respect each other.
No Trolls please!
If you use a source, post its link in a "Source Category".
Any rules broken is an automatic disqualification for the individual who broke the rules.

Structure:
Round 1: Acceptance and any questions for clarification (Please post in the comment section).
Round 2: Opening Argument (Please Keep it Short) for both Pro and Con, except Con can Rebuttal this round if they choose.
Round 3: Both sides Rebuttal
Round 4: Pro Rebuttals and states his or her Conclusion, while Con will just have to state his or her Conclusion.

Please follow the structure for this debate so it is fair. Failure to do this is a disqualification. The reasoning why certain people can Rebuttal at certain times is because of keeping it fair, because I discovered that the person accepting the challenge always recieves one more Rebuttal. So, I thought about evening it up so both sides has a fair shot at Rebuttaling against each other. This debate is actually the test for this idea.

Definitions:
Bowling: The game of tenpin bowling as a sport or recreation.
Fun: Enjoyment, amusement, or lighthearted pleasure.
Playing: Engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose.
It: Can be defined as anything, in this case; Bowling.

Good luck to whoever accepts, and can't wait to argue!
Dark_Soul

Con

I will be more than happy to debate this argument.
SnaxAttack

Pro

Thanks for accepting the debate, and good luck! To begin this round, my opening argument will be short.

Bowling is a sport in which you roll a ball, and attempt to knock down as many pins as possible. Its a game that is simple, yet fun. Who doesn't like to satisfaction of knocking down all pins, and getting a strike, or getting that 7-10 split? Bowling is a game that builds up anticipation for one moment, and people have fun of accomplishing their satisfaction.

Secondly, the equipment needed for bowling isn't as expensie compared to other games where you mainly play alone. Let takes an example like Golf, you have to pay about 10 dollars to play 9 holes; and it is required to have a set of golf clubs. The cheapest pair being around 200 dollars, which is more than the gear needed for bowling. Bowling on the other hand prices vary in the quality of ball the player wants. If you want a great quality, the price will be around 300 dollars; but if you are trying to go cheap, the price for a bowling ball is about 50 dollars. Far cheaper than golf equipment, and to play a game; it can range between 1 to 10 dollars. That is pretty cheap! Plus also if you don't have shoes or a ball, the price still is much cheaper than Golf where you need the equipment.

Finally, bowling can be played around any time of the year. What this means is that if the weather is snowy, or rainy; you can still play bowling without the need to hope for Sunny weather. Bowling can be played practically anytime, as long as the times are available.

Overall, bowling is fun when play it because its a simple concept of a game, very cheap, and can be played almost anytime. Now I wait for my opponents argument.
Dark_Soul

Con

Goodluck.

I believe it depends on the type of bowler. For any average person just looking to have a good time, bowling is perfect. But, if like me you bowl in competitive leagues, it can be very frustrating if for example you don't get good pin carry. Professional bowlers can get very angry. There can be times when things just aren't going their way.
I know from experience how infuriating this sport can get. There are oil patterns that make you want to tear your hair out.
SnaxAttack

Pro

To Rebuttal against my opponents statement, my opponent admitted about bowling being fun for an average person. The quote, that my opponent stated, was: "For any average person just looking to have a good time, bowling is perfect". This statement contradicts my opponents position of bowling not being fun, when he just admitted that an average person has fun when playing the game.

Then my opponent goes further by discussing about the frustrating aspects of bowling. Given the quote "But, if like me you bowl in competitive leagues, it can be very frustrating if for example you don't get good pin carry. Professional bowlers can get very angry. There can be times when things just aren't going their way". I will agree that Bowling can get very frustrating, but does that take the fun away? It wouldn't because you are still playing the game, even though your having a bad day. Take this for example, your favorite hobby is video games yet today you keep on dying within the game. Does that mean you should stop playing video games because you are dying? No, it does not. Just because your having a rough day, does not generalize the idea that you weren't having fun before hand.

Overlooking the frustrations, you still play the game. At times you may be frustrated, but that doesn't mean that the game "isn't" fun, it just means your having a bad day.
Dark_Soul

Con

i will be rebuttaling my opponents round 3 argument.

My opponent stated the following: I will agree that Bowling can get very frustrating, but does that take the fun away? It wouldn't because you are still playing the game, even though you're having a bad day" I believe it would depend on how much you are into the sport. If you are bowling badly, or nothing is going your way it's not fun. Watching everyone else bowling better than you can get to you. i know from experience how much this sport can get in your head and you start bowling worse and worse and that doesn't help your attitude.

"Overlooking the frustrations, you still play the game" -- Of course! There isn't a reason to leave. If you drove 10 hours and payed 100$ to bowl in a tournament, you're going to bowl it regardless of how you bowl. If you quit after the first game, that's time wasted and money wasted.

However as i said in my first argument, it really depends on who is bowling. a 35 year old pro who has been on the PBA tour for 15 years will be a lot more competitive than a 25 year old who comes every now and then.
SnaxAttack

Pro

For this round, I will be the only one allowed to Rebuttal and state a conclusion, while my opponent will only be able to state a conclusion; like stated within the "Structure" portion of the first round. Now to debate!

Quoted by my opponent, he said: "I believe it would depend on how much you are into the sport. If you are bowling badly, or nothing is going your way it's not fun. Watching everyone else bowling better than you can get to you. i know from experience how much this sport can get in your head and you start bowling worse and worse and that doesn't help your attitude". But you still play the game. At times it may be frustrating, but that doesn't mean the game isn't fun if you keep trying. Bowling can be classified as an "addiction", where if you play you get addicted to its game. In reality, the fun is trying to get better. Think about it like this, you play a video game on the hardest difficulty and keep losing. You get frustrated, but you keep playing it and eventually the fun will come. This is the same idea with bowling.

Then my opponent states "However as i said in my first argument, it really depends on who is bowling. a 35 year old pro who has been on the PBA tour for 15 years will be a lot more competitive than a 25 year old who comes every now and then". I agree that this debate depends on the individual we are speaking about, but all of them, when bowling; have fun. If the individual is a casual bowler, he or she made the decision to play the game and will probably have fun playing it; being a once in a while experience. Its the same iea as trying something new for the first time, it is an experience and pays off in a payment of being "fun".

For a regular type bowler, why is he or she even playing the game if they are not having fun? You play a game, or get to professional standards, because they enjoy the sport. Its like saying you hate playing golf, yet your a professional at it; and technically to become a professional at it, you need to put at least 10,000 hours into your hobby. Same thing with bowling, if you keep on playing it and claim you aren't having "fun"; why are you playing it, when you dedicated time for it?

To conclude, my opponent has failed to Rebuttal any of my statements. In the first round where I argued, I stated that playing the sport was cheap enough and can be played anytime of the year. It is not restrained to one particular season, and my opponent didn't even Rebuttal to these statements. Because of this, the decision for best counter-arguments should lean more towards "Pro".
Overall, I thank my opponent for this debate and good luck to his future of debate!
Dark_Soul

Con

Here is my conclusion:

Yes, bowling is fun. I've been playing it for 14 years :). It just depends on the circumstances. Overall, the sport is fun. The only times when it's not fun are certain situations.
I feel inclined to believe that "Pro" put up a more convincing argument.

Thank you for this debate (and not forfeiting every round like so many people do).

Vote Con!
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
"bawling"? No, "BOWLING". It's a sport, My_Username_is_lillogical. As for Round 4, Con conceded by saying "bowling is fun". Pro automatically wins.
Posted by My_Username_is_Iillogical 1 year ago
My_Username_is_Iillogical
What of is happening in circles? Why you be say bawling good? Is not nice and I be hate of you now Is no good of you now problem big. Make apologize and forgets k.
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 1 year ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
Fun is a truly subjective matter....
Posted by SnaxAttack 1 year ago
SnaxAttack
For this debate, it can be both. But I more expect an average citizen, than professional bowler.
Posted by Towarzysz 1 year ago
Towarzysz
Who is addressed in the debate question? Average citizen or a typical bowling player?
Posted by Valkrin 1 year ago
Valkrin
This debate can go a number of ways, but if Pro goes down the route I think they will, this is an easy win for them.