fazz
droherax

Is British comedy better than American comedy?

fazz

fazz

Pro

I am 50-50 on this. Americans make comedy, the British do 'humor'; Go figure! My favorite shows are British: Office, Getting on, Thick of it. But Americans make good tv such as Friends and Seinfeld. Americans make good sitcoms that keep you glued on for seasons at end. The difference is that when I want intellectual fulfillment I go to the Brit-Office. When I want something that makes me laugh and cry, and cry some more, and still get invested emotionally in the character politics of the drama I go to the American Office. So I am teetering on the fence. I think by 'intellectual fulfillment' I meant American comedy is too politically correct! British comedy is not afraid to delve into the controversial and the taboo. The major comedies of the last two decades seem to have come from that side of the Atlantic. Thus, I will give the green thumb to the British side for originality. since . Note: My argument applies only to new shows. I am not an expert on the old comedies. Nor do I find them funny!
droherax

Con

British comedy is not funnier because if you think about all the shows that are funny in the comedy section on any site they mostly have American shows like big bang theory, modern family, two and a half men, how I met your mother etc. So you should have thought this topic through because even though I'm new to this you should have seen all the American shows first before saying that British is funnier. So my thumbs up goes to American shows.
fazz

Pro

[b] you should have seen all the American shows first before saying that British is funnier [/b]

My answer: I mostly watch American shows. I have started watching British shows recently. I used to like the American comedies but I found the British ones to be more well-written and have jokes that make an intelligent point. My point is that I am a fan of potty humor but most American shows tend toward potty-humor. Look at your list for example:

[b] Big bang theory, modern family, two and a half men, how I met your mother etc. [/b]

All good shows, however, HIMYM has loads of potty humor. The only one who make actual humor and jokes are Neal Patrick Harris and that is ironical because he plays a uber-sexual male who is not hetero in reality!

I mentioned in my premise argument about "Originality". From your list, again, Modern Family borrows heavily from the vibe of Office, example: where the character confess some humiliating circumstances to the screen as if talking directly to the viewer.

You mention that: [b] if you think about all the shows that are funny in the comedy section on any site they mostly have American shows [/b] However, from the list above, it is shown that all the shows you have mentioned are type-cast; i.e. they are making the same jokes directed at the same teenage mentality. I can infer from [i]this[/i] evidence that there are [i] more [/i] American shows on these sites but this does not prove they are funny. It only proves they are formulaic. Thus, I speak from experience: "repetitive & boring".
droherax

Con

droherax forfeited this round.
fazz

Pro

Does that mean you forfeit the game?
droherax

Con

I didn't forfeit I forgot about it and then I got an email then I was like oops so yea I didn't forfeit.
Posted by fazz 3 years ago
fazz
Posted by Cheetah 3 years ago
Cheetah
Oh ok, so you will most likely mention about originality. This will be an interesting debate, good luck! (Psst, a lot of the new Simpsons's jokes aren't original at all)
Posted by fazz 3 years ago
fazz
Apology. I am a new typer hence the typos. How does one italicise in this board: [i] [/i] ?
Posted by fazz 3 years ago
fazz
Also, notice how many Re-makes there are in channels these days? That is an example that at least big executives and producers have noticed something that other countries are doing.
Posted by fazz 3 years ago
fazz
Better? I don't know. Well written (aka plot), and characters that are not wooden. But most importantly, not repetitive. Repitition is boring. I would admit comedies are bad now. But I would say the opposite of dramas. Dramas like Breaking Bad, the Wire, etc., are not repetititve. Not at all.
Posted by Cheetah 3 years ago
Cheetah
Whats your criteria of a 'better' comedy?
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
fazzdroheraxTied
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
fazzdroheraxTied
Vote Placed by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
fazzdroheraxTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
fazzdroheraxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Actually you did forfeit a round and didn't even put in a rebuttal in your final round, Arguments to Pro and conduct to Pro for the single round forfeiture.