Is Canada Real?

Started: 5/23/2014 Category: Places-Travel

Round one is for acceptance ONLY, Round two is for points, Round three is for rebuttals.
Since we have a major disagreement on this, I find this will be very enjoyable.

I saw your previous "is Canada Real?" debate and we had a.....disagreement of sorts.

Let's end this once and for all.

Alright, let's do this. I'll try and keep an open heart and mind despite the massive amount of evidence pointing to the nonexistence of Canada. I look forward to reading your argument.

Thank you for accepting, even though you made a very bold statement.

I will present numerous examples of things IN Canada, then explain how that could not be "made up."

Argument 1: Sports

Sub topic 1: Teams

Take the NBA, for example, and think about the teams. You might recall a team called the "Toronto Raptors." If you haven't, search them up. Well guess what? They are a Canadian team. They play in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and are COMPLETELY legitimate.
Or have the NHL, where many, MANY teams are Canadian.

"The Montreal Canadians are a professional ice hockey team based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada"

"The Calgary Flames are a professional ice hockey team based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada."

There are more teams in Hockey in Canada but that is all I will state.

Sub-Topic 2: Olympics

Go all the way back to 2010. Remember where it was? "international multi-sport event held from February 12 to February 28, 2010, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada" Oh ya! Vancouver, CANADA. And they don't just "make things up" when it comes to the biggest international sporting competition! Also, if you watched ANY of the recent Olympics, you might notice a team called "Canada". Again, hey don't just "make things up" when it comes to the biggest international sporting competition!

Argument 2: Famous people

Justin Bieber

Aubrey Drake Graham

Avril Lavigne

Jim Carrey

Sidney Crosby

Wayne Gretzky

Seth Rogan

Rob Ford

Have you heard of these people? Well guess what, they are from the real place CANADA. And you don't just make up where people are born. If you don't believe me, look here:

Argument 3: UN

"Canada has been a member of the United Nations since it was established, and has served six separate terms on the UN Security Council. Canada has also participated in United Nations peacekeeping missions." Nuff' said! Obviously Canada is real because the UN (united nations) is a group of COUNTRIES (real, mind you), and Canada is a COUNTRY that is part of the UN!

Argument 4: Flawed reasoning

I know that you will say, and you stated it in your other debate, that Canada is not real because you haven't been there. Well wake up, bud, the world does not revolve around you. Just because you haven't been there does not make it unreal or fake! That's like saying: "I have never seen a dog in my life, so it's fake!" Ridiculous!

I admit, I have never been to USA. Using your reasoning, I should rightly think that the US is fake!

Thank you,

Also, there is a stereotype that Canadians drink maple syrup and are ALWAYS nice. Well, think again. That is the most flawed stereotype ever! Me, right now, getting angry at you, being a Canadian, is perfectly normal!

Absolutely no problem in accepting this debate, my old opponent never sent in an argument after the first post, which disappointed me. After having consulted an expert geographer and mapmaker, as well as a couple high-level (but unelected) U.S. government officials, a group of students with international ethnicities, and credible online forums such as 4chan and Reddit, I've devised my argument and will present it to you now.

You mention a list of famous "Canadian" people, a few of which I'm slightly familiar with through the American mainstream media. This is where the first part of my argument comes in. Having met with my two government contacts at their office, I asked them about the existence of Canada. They, of course, laughed at me and told me it resides north of the United States. I pushed them, however, and they became more and more serious. Finally, one of them got up, closed the door, and told me about a CIA operation called Tyroll conceived in the early "40s that was designed to disassociate certain undesirables from the American government. They gave me copies of the official documents to read, and having parsed through them, apparently at that point in time, instead of framing a person or faking an accident to dispose of them, they"d simply put them into a kind of witness protection program, codenamed "Canada," where they would live out their lives pretending they were from a different country. That way, if they made a fool of themselves, the brave, independent, and intelligent society of America would not be diminished. Millions of dollars went into the operation, where the subjects were given a steady diet of maple syrup, which had strange, lasting effects on the individuals. These effects included an unusual affinity for other people, a permanent longing for maple syrup, and sudden but infrequent bursts of uncontrollable violence, which scientists realized could be channeled into a contact sport such as football. One of the subjects, whose name was not disclosed and is only mentioned as #07734, created the game hockey in 1945 so that the "Canadians"" violent tendencies could be mitigated, while retaining some individuality from others. Any reference, mention, or documented evidence about hockey prior to 1945 has been cleverly faked as to dispel suspicion. The subjects were put in the program until they forgot who they were and where they were from, after which they"d be released into society. These people developed a way to find one another, which was to say ""eh" after approximately every other sentence, in order to advertise that they were a subject of Operation Tyroll.

When the subjects had finished processing through the program, and all records of them had been erased, they were given a new identity and placed back into society. Over the course of a decade, the global population came to know of a country called Canada, which was located due north of the United States, through various celebrities that popped up due to Canadian origin. You mentioned some of these celebrities, people like Justin Bieber and Rob Ford, known now because of the undesirable nature that caused them to be a part of Operation Tyroll in the first place. When the UN was created in 1945, Canada was made an official country with its own set of representatives from Tyroll, in order to further solidify its legitimacy and again dispel suspicion.

Now we arrive to the Olympics. I couldn"t get my hands on newer reports from Operation Tyroll, so I originally wasn"t familiar with that discontinuity, which would have destroyed my argument altogether. However, I dug a bit deeper, and got an anonymous tip that told me to take a look inside the Library of Congress. Here, at a set of GPS coordinates given to me by the informant, I gazed upon a bookshelf filled with charts, scrolls, and various documents. Among these I found out about another CIA operation called Olyntics, which was centered around faking the city of Vancouver, which was rumored to be located in Canada. Columbia County, Washington, United States was the set location, where the arena was built. Airline pilots believed they were flying into Canada, when in fact, they were off by a couple hundred miles, south-southeast. I was detained and escorted out of the Library before I could take pictures of the document, but it was definitely there.

Finally, we come to geographic location. Canada is said to be located north of the United States. In fact, people say that the two of them share a border. I had one of my friends, who is an expert geographer, navigator and mapmaker, show me a globe of the known world in 1931. The United States was there, so was the rest of the world, but directly north of the US was nothing but water until you hit the Arctic. Past that was Eurasia. Alaska was an island. It was eerie, but proved my suspicions all along. I"ve also had several fishermen, whom I"ve met through the aforementioned credible websites like 4chan and Reddit, tell me there is nothing north of the United States, only water, where they fish for Arctic Charr and other sea creatures native to the area. But you can argue "But Nima(304)! What about Niagara Falls!? That"s a place, you can see Canada right there!" To which I"d respond yes, you can see a landmass north of the Falls, but this is simply an extension of the United States. Go far enough and you"ll eventually hit ocean, ocean for as far as your eyes can see. Canada simply isn"t real. I"d imagine that someone up your family tree was part of Operation Tyroll, and that"s why you think you"re Canadian. Sorry to dispel the myth, friend, but it really isn"t true.

With regards,
- Nima Sheybani

Suuuuuuure...... OK, now THIS is gonna be fun!

I would like to point out the conduct: "Round two is for points, Round three is for rebuttals." I fail to see here where it says Round two is for rebuttals. You broke conduct by posting rebuttals in the second round, which was for arguments. While you may have made some arguments along with the rebuttal, you still broke conduct. I ask the judges to take this into consideration.

"A CIA operation called Tyroll"

I cannot believe that even if this was true these government officials would tell ANYONE. I would like you to write down in your rebuttal who these officials are. Give me one good reason why they would tell us, the public that they faked an entire country! I have already done a CIA debate and pointed out that they do dirty things all the time, but THIS? Also, you basically accused every Canadian that would have been moved to Canada of being a criminal? WHAT?! My family arrived in Canada in the 1950's and from what I remember being told my family did not see rampaging criminals. And then you said these people were given a diet of maple syrup which caused uncontrollable violence, but I did some digging and guess what? No scientific evidence whatsoever. In fact the history of maple syrup supports my arguments.

"Indigenous peoples living in the northeastern part of North America were the first groups known to have produced maple syrup and maple sugar. According to aboriginal oral traditions, as well as archaeological evidence, maple tree sap was being processed into syrup long before Europeans arrived in the region."

While the Native Americans sometimes fought in wars, they were mostly against the European colonists. So if what you say is true, then the Native Americans, European colonist and the Americans would have been uncontrollably violent. Why? Because Americans make maple syrup as well.

Now, you say that hockey was invented in 1945, but...

"Hockey on ice as we know it originated in the United Kingdom and migrated to Canada in the early 1800's. British soldiers and immigrants to Canada brought their stick-and-ball games with them and played them on the ice and snow of Canadian winters. In 1825, John Franklin wrote The game of hockey played on the ice was the morning sport on Great Bear Lake during one of his Arctic expeditions. A mid-1830s watercolour portrays New Brunswick lieutenant governor Archibald Campbell and his family with British soldiers on skates playing a stick-on-ice sport. Captain R.G.A. Levinge, a British Army officer in New Brunswick during Campbell"s time, wrote about "hockey on ice" on Chippewa Creek (a tributary of the Niagara River) in 1839. In 1843 another British Army officer in Kingston, Ontario wrote began to skate this year, improved quickly and had great fun at hockey on the ice. An 1859 Boston Evening Gazette article referred to an early game of hockey on ice in Halifax that year"

Thanks Wikipedia. So.... I have proven that ice hockey was not invented in 1945 but rather in the 1800's. In fact the family of sports known as hockey has existed for thousands of years. Want more proof? The NHL. Right now the Stanley cup playoffs are happening. Ever heard of the Chicago Blackhawks? They are an American team that formed in 1926. 19 years BEFORE you said Canada was invented. And guess who won the 1926-1927 season? A CANADIAN team.

Finally, us Canadians do not say "eh" that much. If you were to listen to my days worth of conversations you will hear eh minimally if not at all.

You gave no evidence to support the existence of this "Operation Tyroll" and frankly, the name "Tyroll" is the word "Troll" with a "y." Just saying.

"When the UN was created in 1945, Canada was made an official country with its own set of representatives"

You mention the UN and legitimacy. Since we are getting into the subject of other countries I feel like I need to point something out. Who is Canada's head of state? Stephen Harper? Beverley McLachlin? Both wrong. My countries head of state is (unfortunately) Queen Elizabeth II. The queen of the UK and other commonwealth countries. Who was the predecessor of Queen Elizabeth II? George VI. Fun fact, he was king of the UK and commonwealth (including Canada) before 1945. He visited Canada and I doubt he was randomly asked to be king of a country AFTER he visited. Think that visit was staged?

A video. Go on Google and search this visit up before you refute my rebuttal. You will find plenty of images, articles and videos of this visit. Also you conceded that Canada was made an official member of the UN. And you know what you have to be to be made an official member of the UN? A real country. Even if the Canadian government is represented by members of "Operation Tyroll" I believe you have just conceded that Canada is real, there fore I automatically win.

I think I could just end this here but no. You posted more and that means I will refute you even more.

"I found out about another CIA operation called Olyntics, which was centered around faking the city of Vancouver, which was rumored to be located in Canada."

First of all, show me proof that this "Operation Olyntics" happened! You gave NO proof, NO sources and NO evidence. These CIA operations have no credibility whatsoever. Now, I would assume that you believe that the 1976 Olympics in Montreal and the 1988 Olympics in Calgary were faked as well. Guess what? You're wrong. First, I LIVE in Calgary and I have seen the olympic stadium with my own eyes! I have also been to Montreal and seen the stadium there as well. I have some friends who have been to Vancouver and they went to the olympic stadium. There you have it. The Vancouver Olympics DID happen in Vancouver.

Also, you found these documents in a library? Man, You must really have good library for them to have top secret documents in them!

"Directly north of the US was nothing but water until you hit the Arctic."

How would you explain me living in Calgary if I am supposed to be underwater? Think about it. I can't be typing underwater! And, think of the astronauts in space, they have taken videos and photos of places on earth!

At around 0:33 you will see land. That land is Toronto. Toronto is in Canada. Look at globes and images of earth. You will see 9.98 million square kilometers of land above the USA. That land is Canada.

Please post an image of that globe from 1931 or at the very least let me know where to get one cause I have searched for some maps my self what do you know? I found Canada.

Lastly. I have a Canadian passport. I don't think I'm Canadian, I KNOW I'm Canadian.

Well, I'm done and exhausted.

-He violated conduct.
-He gave no credible sources and relied on stereotypes.
-I have successfully refuted his points.

Thanks for debating me on this topic.

Vote Pro, eh?

Nima304 forfeited this round.
Posted by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
To clarify, daltonian, this was an actuall serious debate
I know. I just got so aggravated by him I had to challenge him to this debate.
Posted by doomswatter 2 years ago
DDD, you know he was joking, right?
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
will read and give the arguments point later
Posted by killerinstinct 2 years ago
I am from Canada. I can confirm we are wildlings and there is little but arctic and white walkers here.
thank you!
I am working on it
Posted by Nima304 2 years ago
I've accepted, DDD. Your move.
please accept!
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by Daltonian 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Lol! Nima succeeded in making me laugh, but unfortunately I will give points to Pro cause of the FF. I'm not sure where to cast my vote argument-wise, as I found Nima to be much more amusing, but Pro's arguments to obviously be much more.. serious. Depends on the nature of the debate itself.
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: FF,