BrothermanBill
Keagen

Is Cheerleading a sport?

Started: 5/5/2016 Category: Sports

BrothermanBill

Con

Cheerleading is a performing art, not a sport. I will make my case when an opponent accepts.
Keagen

Pro

I accept your debate.
BrothermanBill

Con

To start off, I will disassemble old arguments I am tired of hearing.

By dictionary definition, cheerleading could be considered a sport. The Oxford Dictionary says a sport is defined as: "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment". However, this definition is so broad, nearly anything can be considered a sport. By this definition, a music competition is a sport. Playing piano for a scholarship would be a sport. War could be a sport. The definition was made to be broad so that they would not leave anyone out. Because of this, non-sports are sometimes included.

Yes. Cheeleading requires physical exertion and skill. Playing a piano concerto requires quite a bit of physical exertion and gobs of skill, but it is never considered "sporty". The show "So You Think You Can Dance" is a great example of a non-sport that checks all the boxes of a dictionary definition of a sport. Physical exertion, skill, competition, entertainment. However, they are just dancing, which most people agree is a performing art.

What performing arts' competitions lack to become a sport is direct competition. All of them require a judge to determine the winner. Judging eliminates a direct competition between the competing groups. It adds subjectivity into who was the better team. There is subjectivity in sports, such as whether someone committed a foul, but that is different. The subjectivity in cheerleading is between the ability of two groups where as the subjectivity in sports is just for a specific event. The entire quality of a squad's performance is determined by someone besides themselves. In sports, whoever scores more wins. In cheer, whoever does "better" wins. Sure there are a few objective(ish) ways to measure a cheer performance, but when it comes down to determining first or second, it gets pretty subjective.

Therefore, since a cheerleading competition fundamentally requires judging to determine the winner, it is not a sport.
Keagen

Pro

Keagen forfeited this round.
BrothermanBill

Con

Nice job. Really strong argument. Let me copy some of my argument from my other debate "Is Marching Band a Sport?", because this is too easy.

As explained by the Merriam Webster Dictionary, the performing arts are: "types of art (such as music, dance, or drama) that are performed for an audience." By this definition, cheerleading is easily a performing art, but more importantly, is "in the true sense of the word" which I will talk about later.

As described in the Oxford Dictionary, to judge something means to "Form an opinion or conclusion about" [that thing]. Or as Merriam Webster puts it, "to form an opinion about through careful weighing of evidence and testing of premises". The key to each of these definitions is that judging includes an element of subjectivity, i.e., opinion. That means in cheerleading, the outcomes are determined by opinion and not objective fact, meaning a squad's score, and outcome, could change depending on who was judging that day.

To conclude, cheerleading is not a sport because it does not fit in with "the true sense of the word". Yes it is physical. Yes it requires skill. Yes it can be a competition. However, this does make it a true sport. The main problem is that it can only be a competition if judges are used to determine who gets the higher score. You can take the subjectivity out of soccer and there can still be a definite winner. You cannot take the subjectivity out of cheerleading and find a winner. This subjectivity comes from the fact that it is a performing art, and you cannot truly measure art objectively. Cheerleading uses music and dance in order to entertain an audience making it a performing art, not a sport.
Keagen

Pro

Sorry -I had no internet access over the weekend-. What you stated as the definition of a sport, "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment", is what should determine if it's a sport. Not your own opinion of what you view a sport but as to whether or not it follows the definition. Just for example's sake my view on a sport could be for you to perform for judges and not competitively. You question does not say "Is Cheerleading a sport with my own made up definition of sport." As far as I see it Cheerleading follows the definition of a sport perfectly.
-Physical exertion? Yes.
-Teams going up against each other? Yes.
- For Entertainment? Yes.
Being a sport does not by definition require this "direct competition" that you say is your determining factor between a sport and performing arts competitions.
Posted by DebaterGood 7 months ago
DebaterGood
@TheAtheistChessPlayer I don't see your thoughtful expansion to this topic by flaming towards a person who is commenting. Just leave it be.
Posted by TheAtheistChessPlayer 7 months ago
TheAtheistChessPlayer
@AngloSax Go back to Europe, you WASP. This is a debate, if you want to share your opinion, go back to the opinion polls. Stop wasting our time with your incompetent opinions. We come here in the good heart of sharing of knowledge and the thrill of hearing your opponents response. If you do not wish to add thoughtful exposition to this topic, then leave.
Posted by AngloSax 7 months ago
AngloSax
Its a sport if you ask me. Although i can see your point, by definition, Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively is a sport.

They compete as much as the teams they are cheer leading do. I agree that it is a performing art though, but it is definitely a sport.