Akhil_Nagrani
fever1996

Is Chemistry a" BOON" or a"BANE"?

Akhil_Nagrani

Con

i strongly believe chemistry is a bane to the society......
fever1996

Pro

I accept you challenge and hope to prove to you that chemicals are a boon to society.
Akhil_Nagrani

Con

To my worthy opponent, i am not focusing only on chemicals....I still think chemistry is beyond chemicals.i would not like to begin with traditional way of saying about radiation leaks or pesticides or fertilizers , dynamite etc and the burning topic of global warming.You must be knowing about green revolution in Punjab, Haryana which really boomed production of India.....but do you know what impact it had on the people.The farmers used fertilizers such as those of NPK and others and also it benefited them, but they used the same bags to fill the grains with wheat and rice or the crop they grew in the field. A study revealed suggested that around thousands of people were affected by consuming those crops of rice and wheat.Not only the people but the coming generations too were affected. Chemical Traces were found in mother and during lactation period it affected the child. If this isn't boon then what it is?
fever1996

Pro

I thank my opponent

I shall first refute the main points of my opponenets argument to show that it has no validity

A)The green revolution... which has really boomed production of India
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul4RF9sCPXI
Thank you for giving me the evidence that I need. The green revolution has used chemicals in a way that increases the plant growth of Indian crop allows a country whom has 6000 people dying of hunger every day(1) to save some of those people. Without the use of those chemicals the people would continue to die with no hope of survival. If you want to allows these people to starve to death, just so no one has a chance of being affected by these chemicals, you need to seriously reconsider you stance on the situation

B)The Farmers used fertilizers such as... NPK and others that also...benifitted them

Again I agree, the substance mixture of Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Pottasium allows Indians to make their crops faster because of Phosphorues, stronger because of Nitrogen, and healthier because of the Pottasium(2). It is a perfect blend of the chemicals that the Indians need to increase crop output to support their population. With a chemical like this, how can chemicals not be a boon to society

C) A study revealed that around thousands of people were affected by consuming those crops of rice and wheat

First off, the people were affected because the farmer were negligent in their movement of crops, allowed the plants to be overexposed to the chemicals and therefore reaching their threshold limit of the said chemicals. Also, since you have not posted your study, we can not be sure that it has any scientific standing or even if such a study exists. If the study was posted we would be able to examine it's scientific standing, but seeing as it is not here, we cannot. Not only can we prove if it affected but none of the viewers are quite sure how it affected the people, i shall reiterate once again to please display the source.

I will now move on to provide evidence contradictory to what the negation has currently provided

If you were to think of the benefits of chemicals, I am sure that it would be a very long list, but for this portion of the debate I would like to touch on the noble practice of Pharmaceutical Chemical Engineering(3). The people in this practice devote their lives to creating the medicine of today and tommorow that will save thousands if not millions of people. PCE (as we will refer to the enginners more simply) have given us chemotherapy, anti-neoplastons(4), Morphine, and other drugs that can help to end pain and save lives.

With medicine alone, chemicals are already a boon and if taken away, we will return to the dark ages where poeple would die of the flu or the common cold.

I now turn the debate back over to the Negation and wish him the best of luck.

The CNN video posted

http://www.cleanairgardening.com...

http://portal.tugraz.at...

http://www.burzynskiclinic.com...
Akhil_Nagrani

Con

My dear friend,I would not like to fight with you on this.
Firstly , I would surely give you the name of the book where i read about the impact of green revolution.You say farmers were negligent in their movement of crops,agreed but chemicals too are to blamed for the same.
http://www.hardnewsmedia.com..........
just have a look at this article......a kind of support to the point i put forward in round 1.

Secondly , my opponent tried to bring forward the lives pharmaceuticals have saved but bringing chemotherapy , anti neoplastons , Morphine etc and other drugs.
But please ....just go through the side effects or i would like to put it in a simple way "ADVERSE EFFECTS" of all those you have mentioned.

http://www.buzzle.com...

Agreed that they have saved lives.....but do you think that they have done so such a extent that they can be called a boon to the society.Instead these, have worsened of the life of saved patients and when you look on those you pity that how come they are suffering with so many side effects.
And take the cost of these...... Chemotherapy in India varies from 50,000 to 5 lac. What use such a therapy is of? Also include the cost of periodic drugs the patients have to take.*

*Kindly note that I know cost factor isn't relevant but to make the viewers aware that something can be called a boon if it caters / saves needs of people.....and such chemicals haven't.

Now I would like to bring forward the impacts of" Plastic" that You use everyday.....
Polyester,Polyethylene ,Polyvinyl Chloride.....
You surely may be aware of the environmental impacts of such plastics.How difficult is to Incinerate those plastics ....these release toxic fumes on burning.
Though these have revolutionized the society,these have affected a millions.
Take Example Of Bis phenol A......an organic compound used to make polycarbonate plastic such as bottles that are use to feed babies milk . A controversy that surrounded the use of compound was that it is an endocrine disruptor which can mimic body's hormone and cause negative health effects.
The BPA controversy was one of the biggest and i would like the opponent to go through them. This compound affected animals when study was on them and still further studies suggest that they are likely to effect new born babies.
I now turn the debate to my friend and kindly request him to go through the BPA controversy. Wishing him best of luck!
fever1996

Pro

fever1996 forfeited this round.
Akhil_Nagrani

Con

Akhil_Nagrani forfeited this round.
fever1996

Pro

fever1996 forfeited this round.
Akhil_Nagrani

Con

Akhil_Nagrani forfeited this round.
fever1996

Pro

fever1996 forfeited this round.