awesomealex444
XxXDebateXxX

Is Chess a Sport?

XxXDebateXxX
Started: 5/19/2015 Category: Sports

awesomealex444

Pro

I believe chess is a sport for a multitude of reasons. One reason is that the player is using their mental toughness, not just having to throw a ball around. Even if you are not working up a sweat or running around, the game is hard and you have to think about where you are going to move. I think that chess is a sport, also because it is recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee. This proves that chess is indeed a sport, even if you are not running around. In conclusion, I believe chess is a sport because you are using mental toughness and it is recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee.
XxXDebateXxX

Con

I believe that chess is a sport only recognized in certain places. Take Turkey for example, or the Turkish Chess Federation. But if you look at outlying countries where chess is not recognized as a game or not even know to exist.
awesomealex444

Pro

In Turkey however, chess IS recognized as a sport and will always be. Even if chess isn't recognized as a sport in certain areas of the world, it is in the majority of the world.
XxXDebateXxX

Con

Yes, I strongly agree with you.. HOWEVER, The IOC recognizes it as a sport, therefore any other country not participating in the Olympics may not believe that chess is considered a sport. A mental and fun challenge, yes

recognized sport, not necessarily
awesomealex444

Pro

Yes, I agree with you, HOWEVER, it is also recognized as a sport by the World Chess Federation, meaning that it is a sport all over the world. Also, in your first con, you stated that chess is only a sport in some parts of the world. Even if it is only recognized in some parts of the world, it is still recognized as a sport. In conclusion, I believe chess is recognized as a sport all over the world, by the international chess committee, AND the world chess federation, making it a sport.
XxXDebateXxX

Con

Following up your argument, people who are in the IOC state that chess is a sport. However chess is RECOGNIZED as a sport, not necessarily made a sport. So my question to you is, if the IOC recognizes it as a sport, why is it not an Olympic event and why is the World Chess Federation not pushing to have it in the Olympics therefore not making it a high mandatory sport recognized by countries not participating in said Olympics, and those who are also not part of or following the World Chess Federation, now I am not saying that because it is not in the Olympics it is not a sport because that would eliminate a lot if other sports in the world but the World Chess Federation does not have its own professional league/division does it. Say baseball for an example, not in the Olympics, but a sport recognized around the world. See now chess, also not in the Olympics but not in its own league or division. In conclusion, chess is not considered as sport recognized worldwide

-Hunter
Posted by jwipp 1 year ago
jwipp
chess is a game, if you use the dictionary definition, or the NCAA one. still not a sport under either definition
Posted by ImSloth 1 year ago
ImSloth
I think the first con comment really is a contradiction, he states that while its a sport in some placing its not in others. Therefore, he is saying its a sport in some parts of the world, extending into it being a sport.
Vote Placed by Splenic_Warrior 1 year ago
Splenic_Warrior
awesomealex444XxXDebateXxXTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con wins arguments because 1) Pro never met his BoP to demonstrate that Chess is a sport, he only stated his opinion, and 2) as Con mentioned, being recognized as a sport does not make it a sport. No points for sources since neither side offered any, nor any points for conduct, as they were equal. S&G equal.