griffyale
Toffee

Is Chess a sport

griffyale has forfeited round #2.
Started: 12/1/2017 Category: Games
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

griffyale

Pro

Chess is a wonderful thing that many people play. However is it a sport. This is something that many chess enthusiasts believe is a sport. One reason this is a sport is that Chess plays upon the mental toughness of the player similar to wrestling, cross country or other Sports. And yes I have participated in both of those sports so I do know what it means to physically exert yourself. Another reason that chess is a sport is that it is actually recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee. Also, It is recognized as a sport in multiple countries including Turkey, and over 100 countries. This is a huge amount of countries considering there are only 195 countries in the world. World chess champions have also won their national Sportsman of the Year competition including Magnus Carlsen (Norway), Vishy Anand (India) and Veselin Topalov (Bulgaria). the player ranking system was developed for chess in 1960 and has been adopted by many other sports including American football, baseball, basketball, hockey, korfball, rugby, and golf. Football and cricket use a related formula. Peak mental condition requires being in good physical condition. Players need to concentrate totally for up to seven hours. As the stress and tension build up, blood pressure, pulse and respiration rates all increase. Contenders for the world championships have nutritionists and fitness coaches. Thus concluding all of this compelling information. I believe that Chess is in fact a sport.
Toffee

Con

I am a school chess player, but I also play cricket and badminton, and I can definitively say that chess is not a sport, because there is something which sets cricket and badminton apart from chess. Physicality. Physical fitness is not at all required in chess and it does not require any form of physical exercise to train for a match. Also the Oxford dictionary defines a sport as 'An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment'. I can say without a doubt while chess requires a huge amount of skill, it does not involve physical exertion. My opponent mentioned that chess plays upon the mental toughness,well, that is irrelevant in terms of what a sport is and what is not because while it is necessary in sport, it is not what sets a sport apart from anything else. My opponent mentioned that being in good mental condition requires good physical condition, while that is true, does that mean that debating is a sport? Because you need in good mental condition to respond wittingly. Secondly, my opponent mentioned that several countries recognise chess as a sport alongside the IOC however you cannot say that because people recognise chess as a sport that makes it a sport, because if majority of the world saw talking as a sport that does not make it a sport, it is just people's view, we have to got by definitions. Thirdly my opponent mentioned that other sports use chess' player ranking system. That is irrelevant. It does not affect whether it is a sport or not, it just means that it is a good system.

Thanks

KingToffee
Posted by Mr_Common_Sense 1 month ago
Mr_Common_Sense
My coach and many other people told me "a sport is something competitive, it doesn't matter whether you're exercising or you're PLAYING CHESS"
Posted by Toffee 1 month ago
Toffee
SirNoodles518, my g
Posted by SirNoodles518 1 month ago
SirNoodles518
I like chess but I don't think it should be a sport. It lacks the athleticism that sports require.
Posted by backwardseden 1 month ago
backwardseden
Yeah I think chess should be recognized as a sport. Now if you are going to do that then there's no reason why bridge cannot be recognized as a sport. Possibly poker? Ehhhh I'm not too sure on that one simply because there are far too many games and naturally you'd have to use chips instead of money.