TheQualityDebater
ScareCr0we

Is Christianity A Scam?

TheQualityDebater

Pro

James 1:6
But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

Proverbs 3:5-8
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.

Matthew 21:21
And Jesus answered them, “Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen.

Multiple times in the bible it clearly states that doubt and questioning god is wrong. Christians say god gave us critical thinking, yet he tells us not to question an invisible deity with no evidence of existence? If per se I was going to create a scam to trick the ignorant into giving me money. Stating in the rules you couldn't doubt the scam would definitely be implemented into it. We can also definitely see that is was created two thousand years ago, because it is scientifically inaccurate and ridiculous.

If money is the root of evil? Why does the church ask for 10% of it. The one time Christianity ruled a country, it was called the Dark Ages.

ScareCr0we

Con

While I see where this is coming from, I'm going to have to disagree. Christianity at it's core is the belief that an all-loving, all-powerful, God created the world, and sent his one and only son to die for the sins of humanity.

Having been raised a Christian, I was taught that being generous was a good thing, and that one should always try to help others. Never was I taught that one should donate large sums of money to the church in order to be on good terms with God.
It also says in the Bible that one should only act generously because it is the right thing to do, and if one wants to do so. One should not give money in order to look good or because someone tells them to; rather, one should simply be a good person and when they can, be charitable to those less fortunate.
"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. (NIV, Matthew 6:1-2)

One is also not required to support people or institutions who are constantly asking for money or donations, if they are not genuinely in need.
10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule;"The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat."
11 We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies.
12 Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat. (NIV 2 Thessalonians 3:10-12).

It basically states that people shouldn't beg for money if they do not actually need it/are unwilling to work for it. Preaching at a Christian church is not a full-time job, the preachers/pastors volunteer, meaning they do not receive payment for doing so. And yes, some churches pass around a donation box, it is not mandatory. It is not an obligation to put money in the box, and I have never seen a Christian church guilt anyone into donating.

All the quotes that you used as evidence would suggest that Christianity is a cult, or that it is totalitarian in nature, but not that it is a scam. (Catholicism however, now those people guilt you into donating. Christianity its-self, however, does not).
TheQualityDebater

Pro

TheQualityDebater forfeited this round.
ScareCr0we

Con

I'm fairly dissapointed that Pro did not post an argument for this round, as this round was going to be my rebuttal. But as I have nothing to rebut, I can only hope Pro posts an argument in round 3.

I look forward to it, and sincerely hope one is posted.
TheQualityDebater

Pro

TheQualityDebater forfeited this round.
ScareCr0we

Con

ScareCr0we forfeited this round.
TheQualityDebater

Pro

TheQualityDebater forfeited this round.
ScareCr0we

Con

ScareCr0we forfeited this round.
Posted by ScareCr0we 2 years ago
ScareCr0we
Oh thats fine.
Posted by TheQualityDebater 2 years ago
TheQualityDebater
I am am sorry I didn't get around to posting the debate. I have pneumonia right now and I will not be on my computer.
Posted by ScareCr0we 2 years ago
ScareCr0we
As Pro has not responded, and if he has not responded by the time limit is up, then you must vote Con, as Pro will have technically forfeited.
Posted by ScareCr0we 2 years ago
ScareCr0we
Okay, thanks for clarifying.
Posted by TheQualityDebater 2 years ago
TheQualityDebater
@Gizers, Scientology requires multiple fees and payments.

http://www.xenu.net...

However my main focus for this debate was to pinpoint Christianity for it's greediness.
Posted by ScareCr0we 2 years ago
ScareCr0we
I will have my argument up by the end of the day.
Posted by ScareCr0we 2 years ago
ScareCr0we
I think I'll accept the debate regardless. I can make my points in the Debate.
Posted by Gizers 2 years ago
Gizers
Yeah, you need to clarify exactly what you are asking. A religion itself cannot be a scam, because it is a belief system. The leaders/followers of said religion may be very corrupt and be scamming the public. Example: Scientology. The creator of it stated "if you want to get rich, start a religion", and the leaders make ridiculous profit off of the gullible public. However, Scientology itself, is not a scam, it's a belief system.
Posted by ScareCr0we 2 years ago
ScareCr0we
By "Christianity", do you simply mean people who believe in God and Jesus, or Christian institutions?

Because belief in the Christian religion is not a scam, but the religious institutions probably are.