Brainii
TheSwagBandit

Is Christianity a rational faith?

TheSwagBandit

Brainii

Pro

I think that Christianity is a very rational faith. I believe that created the world, that man fell into sin, and that Jesus came to Earth, died and rose again, all to save us from our sins. I think that there is plenty of evidence to support this. The first round will be for acceptance, the second will be for opening arguments, the third for rebuttals, and the last for closing statements. I hope that this debate will be an intellectual one, and I hope that someone will be persuaded towards the side of the argument that makes the most sense. I wish my opponent luck, and I hope the audience will be interested and intellectually satisfied in any quest for personal answers to a question that has been debated for centuries.
TheSwagBandit

Con

If I was ever caught debating this, my whole family would disown me.

I think all religions are irrational. I am not saying that you should be judged as a christain, or that you are stupid, I just think that christianity is a little far-fetched.

Okay, so christianity is a religion of love and compassion, but if you do not love God, you are sent to hell to be eternally tortured. How does that make sense? And gay people? They are people too. But because of their sexual orientation, they will burn in hell. And, you cannot create something from nothing. You just can't. Yes, all scientific theories are probably wrong about how the universe was created, but I know for sure a giant floating man didn't snap his fingers and create the entire world. Though I do not believe in Christianity, I think the morales are very sound. I belive man has fell into sin, and I believe Jesus Christ is a very real person. I just think that he was a little looney.

I am looking forward to debating with a smart gentleman as yourself.
Brainii

Pro

Brainii forfeited this round.
TheSwagBandit

Con

TheSwagBandit forfeited this round.
Brainii

Pro

Brainii forfeited this round.
TheSwagBandit

Con

TheSwagBandit forfeited this round.
Brainii

Pro

Brainii forfeited this round.
TheSwagBandit

Con

TheSwagBandit forfeited this round.
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
There is no practical evidence that Jesus Christ was actually resurrected at all.
There is no evidence he ascended to Heaven.
There is no evidence such a place as Heaven exists on the Dome (firmament) above Earth.

Jesus did not attain divinity, did not go to the dome above Earth that has all our stars attached to the underside of it, and thus does not exist.

Hardly what I could call a rational belief system.

Worshiping a long dead Jewish Rabbi who was never proven to do anything except preach Buddhism and/or Confucianism to Jews.

His teachings hold merit, but they existed in China and India for centuries before his birth.
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
Oops, Well Done M8! :-D~

Got any more Jumbuck's in yr swag?
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
Exactly TheSwagBandit: @"I don't believe in anything, I'm just here on this earth and that's all that matters for me.", You simply won the Universe's Greatest Lottery, getting to be born. Which is likely a chance for lesser than 1 in all the atoms that comprise the universe.
Well Don M8!

But, that also makes your statement mean that you are what is termed an Implicit Atheist, a person who either has no belief in or any concept of God, which is how we all start out as babies and young children, before parents and society tries to indoctrinate them into one belief or another.

I was that way for the first 14 years of my extremely lucky life, before being sent to a Christian College. But I did not come out of Theology a Christian, in fact studying Theology turned me into an Anti-Christian, because I then realized (due to an open mind and a high IQ) that it was all just extreme Nonsense.

Now I'm a Confucian follower, I believe in Knowledge, Education and veneration of my ancestors, because that is who I'm a product of. I'm the culmination of all my ancestors hopes, wishes and fears.
Possibly, mostly their Fears! :-D~ Because they are the source of my Genetics and my Innate Characteristics.

Though Now I'm in two minds on Christianity, it is Rational if they follow the good (Confucian & Buddhism) teachings of Jesus, as I agree with all of them, but if they want to invoke the Megalomaniac God of the Old Testament, (such as Creationism) then it becomes Extremely Irrational.
That's my view of Christianity.
Posted by TheSwagBandit 2 years ago
TheSwagBandit
I don't believe in anything, I'm just here on this earth and that's all that matters for me. Some people need to understand how things work and so they explain it through religion, and other people are just taught it for their whole lives so they believe it. I was like that, I had always without a doubt in my mind believed in christianity ever sense I can remember. But as I succeeded my peers, my mind grew, and I began questioning things (as every teen should, I just did so on a higher level). Like, if God teaches compassion and caring, then why does he banish you to be eternally tortured if you do not love him? And I agree, 6,000 years? Tectonic plates directly contradict the 6,000 year theory in that they move slowly and gradually, it would have taken millions of years for Pangea to break apart. Also, dinosaurs. Dinosaurs bones are millions of years old, if you don't believe in dinosaurs, you are just joking yourself. People need to understand that things happen, and just because you can't explain it, does NOT mean it's some "higher power" or "deity" that watches over you and keeps you happy. And, if christianity is so right, then why can't hinduism be right? I mean, they both have relatively same morales. So, what makes one more right then the other. Nothing. Some people need to put their souls to rest and stop searching for a way out of life.
Posted by Decertilation 2 years ago
Decertilation
I think the Big Bang theory isn't everything from nothing, although I'm not quite sure. Some key points to disprove the 6,000 year theory;
Pangaea
Tectonic Plates
Sun Stages
Evolution
Geology
Archictecture
Etc
Vote Placed by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
BrainiiTheSwagBanditTied
Reasons for voting decision: Strange, Single Argument Debate, though had to agree with Con, Jesus according to the stories in the N.T. did go a little weird. He's not somebody I'd choose to follow, in that regards Christians do seem irrational.