Finalfan
JacobAnderson

Is Christianity a repulsive religion

Finalfan

Finalfan

Pro

I would like to debate the desirability of Christianity! I find it tedious to argue the existence of God or even the historical authenticity of the bible! It is irrelevant to whether or not I WANT to believe in the scriptures as truth! This debate does not require burden of proof or listed sources as it will simply be up to my opponent to evangelize while I give my own interpretation of what I am being sold! To be clear I am not interested in whether or not God or even Jesus existed. I will mostly be focused on whether or not I want said deity to exist! So I leave it to my opponent to give me insight into the purpose and necessity of becoming a believer! Tell me: Why should I want to believe?
JacobAnderson

Con

I'm not sure myself if I believe in God or not. I do agree that sometimes it is annoying to hear people preaching about their religion and forcing others to follow in their footsteps. However, because this seems opinion based and doesn't require sources or evidentiary support, I will explain why I do not believe Christianity is a repulsive religion.

Christianity through their sermons(?) and Holy Book (Bible), shows the path to purity and righteousness. Throughout the Bible, there are hints of overcoming temptation, following what you believe in and scattered lessons on morals and how to conduct oneself. With so many pure lessons and a strict avoidance of sin and evil, it would be illogical to call Christianity a repulsive religion whether or not you choose to believe in and follow the religion.
Finalfan

Pro

I will spend this round attempting to keep this debate from getting derailed! Just in case my opening post is not clear enough! To be honest I was hoping you were a devoted Christian who would simply be evangelizing as part of their doctrine! I will however continue to share my concern as to why I have never found Christianity to be worthy of my investment!

"Christianity through their sermons(?) and Holy Book (Bible), shows the path to purity and righteousness."

My argument here is that the bible does indeed make claims of facilitating the change in ones life to attain purity and righteousness... however it does not deliver! It claims it has the perfect word of God.. but again.. does not deliver. It claims it knows the truth of the beginning and the end.. but does not deliver! It assumes the reality of Sin and salvation.. but does not deliver! It tells stories of the magnitude of God's benevolence... but does not deliver! It boasts moral superiority... but does not deliver! It proclaims its own validity and simply does not deliver. It would have you fear a being without evidence for its own existence. It wants you to obey... but what are you obeying: God? or the Church?

"Throughout the Bible, there are hints of overcoming temptation, following what you believe in and scattered lessons on morals and how to conduct oneself. "

First I would like to mention that there is an endless amount of literature that provides the same moral compass. It is more than obvious that morality is defined by our society and our own individual ethics! The bible assumes that it is the ONLY way to salvation... Salvation from what? I have to ask.. Do you truly believe in sin? Or is sin just part of nature? Like murder, slavery, rape.. the bible will give its own view on these subjects but they are not the absolute wisdom that people claim it to be! By todays standards the morality in the bible is in fact obsolete! It illustrates a God who does not tolerate Sin but has all of the same flaws that he would punish us for! God is jealous, malicious, prideful, greedy, and lazy. He would ask you to live up to standards that he does not aspire to!

"With so many pure lessons and a strict avoidance of sin and evil, it would be illogical to call Christianity a repulsive religion whether or not you choose to believe in and follow the religion."

Again it sure does talk a big game... but does it deliver. Do the Christians we live with today meet these same expectations? Or do they realize that it is impossible and leave it all in the hands of Jesus. Why else would the Dalai Lama suffer the flames while a serial killer pedophile gets a deathbed redemption? Also how can we be sure evil and sin exists? The bible would have you believe in these concepts without begging any questions. Well that's what I do.. I question.. that is all it takes for me to see past the revelations presented in the bible. Is not all we consider to be evil just a part of nature? People are terrifying but that does not invite such nonsense to help us understand something that is born out of Chaos! Also not believing is not an option.. at the risk of eternal torture.. tell me: How is that not repulsive?
JacobAnderson

Con

My opponent's base argument is that the Bible does not deliver, but I point that they are ignorant in the words of God. Clearly you cannot argue that what the Bible says will be the end is false becaus the end has not been. There is no possible way that you can prove that the ending the Bible states will be different from the end of the world, so this is a fallacious argument. You cannot determine what the perfect word of God is unless you are God himself, so there is another fallacious argument. Your arguments are riddled with fallacy that does not prove that Christianity is a repulsive religion.

Also, yes there are many stories that have morale themes in them, but these books are not worshipped- if they are, it is not near as widely as Christianity is.

Therefore, Christianity is not a repulsive religion as I have proved. Your entire argument is "I don't know Christianity, however i will argue that the Bible doesn't deliver what it preaches," which is entirely fallacious.
Finalfan

Pro

My opponent could have shortened his last post with "Nuhuh". But he must have learned a new word (fallacy)

"My opponent's base argument is that the Bible does not deliver, but I point that they are ignorant in the words of God."

Huh? You lost me! Didn't you mention that you are not sure if you believe in God. Then I must ask.. have you read the bible?

"Clearly you cannot argue that what the Bible says will be the end is false because the end has not been."

Except for one thing: Where is Jesus? The bible talks about natural disasters marking the days of Armageddon! So basically the world has been in its last breath even before humans arrived!

"There is no possible way that you can prove that the ending the Bible states will be different from the end of the world, so this is a fallacious argument. You cannot determine what the perfect word of God is unless you are God himself, so there is another fallacious argument."

I think you focused a little too much on my (does not deliver) part of my argument.. You say it was the basis for my argument but really it was a response to your purity and righteousness argument.. which I was simply showing that the bible says a lot of things.. none of which can be proved so your statement about righteousness is a fallacy! You seemed to completely ignore my thoughts on Sin, Salvation, Hell, "benevolence", fear, blind obedience, morality, damned Dalai Lama, death bed redemption. I didn't even mention Westborough Baptist!

"Also, yes there are many stories that have morale themes in them, but these books are not worshipped- if they are, it is not near as widely as Christianity is."

You say worship like it is a good thing. You see, I am repulsed by the bible, it is not a good book to base your life on. The morality in the bible is to stone people who are different from you.. plain and simple! Jesus was the only source of morality.. so much in fact that his followers cannot (will not) follow his message. If you want to truly "walk with Jesus" sell all of your things, abandon your entire family and friends, and do nothing but give thanks to the lord! "Jesus was so Christian he was Hindu" Bill Maher

"Therefore, Christianity is not a repulsive religion as I have proved. Your entire argument is "I don't know Christianity, however I will argue that the Bible doesn't deliver what it preaches," which is entirely fallacious."

You really did nothing but use the word fallacy as if I needed the BoP! I may have made statements that I cannot back up with evidence. But that is not what this debate is designed for. You were suppose to Evangelize. I was suppose to show you why you are selling me a turd sandwich. You have not even come up with a compelling idea of your own. You just mention how I cannot possibly know the mind of God. but everywhere you have Christians that think they do . That is why there is more denominations and sects of Christianity than there are SENTENCES IN THE BIBLE! Each claiming to be a prophet of the "perfect mind of God" You would have to use your same "fallacy" argument with everyone of them!

I realize my last post was lacking as I simply replied to your argument and did not even scratch the surface. This isn't something I just realized yesterday. I have strong Christian influences in my life. So I have been told verse after verse.. each one more terrifying than the next.. If you like I could post about 100 bible verses for you to illustrate my point.

Here is Christianity at its core (from the beginning)

1. How does something come from nothing?

God did it (basically saying I don't know)

2.God also made Lucifer, his most beloved angel. Then God made Adam and Eve. Gave them paradise on Earth. Lucifer hated this and wanted to destroy "Gods new favorites". Lucifer falls

Somehow this ends up meaning the eternal damnation of countless human souls!

3. Adam and Eve could have stopped this if they had only turned a deaf ear to the serpent. So they ate the fruit!

First of why did God place a forbidden fruit in the garden where he knew Lucifer would convince them to eat it? Also if God is omniscient, didn't he know even before he created Lucifer that he would rebel? Also isn't the story of Adam and Eve completely destroyed by evolution? (That will be relevant shortly)

Anyways Somehow this ends up meaning the eternal damnation of countless human souls!

4. So move ahead a ways to Noah's Ark: The world had gotten out of control. God was angry at everyone except for one family! He prepared Noah for a boat ride with millions of animals to survive a great flood killing everyone!

Ok so I would like to explain that people are Gods children. If God mass murders his own children. That is called filicide! He would rather suspend the laws of nature than offer any guidance to his "children"! Besides the story is completely illogical and has zero evidence to support it (This will also be relevant later, hold on)

5. Moving on to the core of this story: Jesus
I mentioned before that Jesus happens to be an exception to my argument however, the moral teachings of Jesus can be better found in Thomas Jefferson's bible! Jesus was great and should be emulated.. until he becomes the catalyst for eternal human torture! You see before Jesus came a long.. No God in the history of religion actually messed with you after death. It wasn't until Jesus that you could never escape "God's gift"! This is a horrifying and repulsive thing to indoctrinate into a child!

Now I mentioned that the Adam and Eve / Noah stories would have relevancy to this debate! This is where I truly have a problem with Christianity. The entire premise o Christianity revolves around the Sins of Adam and the salvation from this sin! It is fairly obvious that the garden of Eden did not exists (It could have but so could Narnia with that logic) This makes the "original sin" story benign and requires no need for salvation. Also the Noah story clearly DID NOT HAPPEN, thus the bible proves once again its own fallacies! This is most relevant because... Christians use this everyday. They make decisions based off of its "perfect" wisdom. It takes in Billions of Dollars in tax free revenue. It tells people they are going to hell. It teaches children to fear an invisible totalitarian dictator in the sky. It condemns homosexuals and stifle the progress of science. All in the name of a mythological book that is clearly interpreted as abstract art! All I am saying is that if you are going to tell someone they are going to hell. You better be damn sure its real. But you don't. We all have to admit We don't know where we came from or where we are going.. Maybe that is not such a bad thing!
JacobAnderson

Con

I've lost interest in this debate, I apologize. I, amongst 7 billion others will live unchanged and uncaring whether you think Christianit yis repulsive or not.
Finalfan

Pro

I'm gonna take that as you agree with me!
JacobAnderson

Con

Can that just negate your whole argument as you clearly assume something because of something completely irrelevant?
Finalfan

Pro

Obviously you have the right to think what you want. I was angry that you forfeited as if I did not have valid concerns! Besides technically you bombed my debate. It was pretty clear that I wanted someone who actually knows about Christianity! So I assumed that I pushed you into a corner.. to me that means check, not check mate.
JacobAnderson

Con

I did forfeit because this was useless. Your closing statement would undoubtedly be "I am not convinced, therefore my opponent must lose," or "Once again, I repeat that I am arguing that ______ while my opponent argued that _______ so he shall lose as he did not argue the correct topic."
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 3 years ago
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 0 seconds ago
Finalfan, we all have a clue. To say we don't have a clue is to be willfully ignorant. I was searching untill I found Jesus was knocking at my door all along wanting to come in and be my life. His life is eternal life which He wants to give to you. He came down from heaven to seek and to save those who are lost. You can stop searching and stop being lost and be found by Him. Stop pretending you can't hear Him knocking at your hearts door. If you will confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus Christ, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Receive him by faith as your Saviour. He is the Light of the world. Men love darkness rather than light because their deeds are evil.
He came to His own (the Jews) and His own did not recieve Him, they crucified Him. He rose from the grave because He had no sin to hold him in death, He died to pay for your sins so you could be pardoned from paying in hell forever. To all who receive Him, He gives the power to become the sons of God. Why not stop searching and stop being frustrated? Let Him find you. He knows where you are and he loves you.
Report this Comment
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 8 minutes ago
of course you hope hell fire is not real when you don't want to admit that you deserve to die and pay for your sins in the fire of hell, and you don't want Jesus Christ to be your life, your Saviour, your Lord because you know He will change you and you will have to agree with God in taking sides against your own sin no matter how much pleasure your sin gives you. People are sadly prone to love their sin all the way to death and fire of hell. God loves you and wants you to be saved. He made the way for you to be saved by dying in your place after He came down from heaven to pay for your sins with his own blood. You don't have to pay in fire of hell unless you finalize your death insisting God's payment for your sins was not for you. God will let y
Posted by Finalfan 3 years ago
Finalfan
@Anatta: I was actually quite moved from your post. If that was the Christianity I know I would not be calling it repulsive!
Posted by Finalfan 3 years ago
Finalfan
For the record. I have no clue why con accepted this debate!
Posted by Finalfan 3 years ago
Finalfan
I think you may have misread my opening post. I said I do NOT want to debate the existence of God! There is no proof either way to facilitate that type of debate. My debate focuses on the desirability of believing in said deity!
Posted by Anatta 3 years ago
Anatta
I was about to accept the challenge until I read where you want the focus to be whether a deity exists or not, my argument was going to provide information on how attaching to the belief of the deity goes against the true heart of Christianity (what the figure called "jesus" asked of his fellowman), and that was to be a good, humble, person. Nothing else. For love for god manifests as love for man, thus, the emphasis of Christianity isn't to worship god as much as possible, but to root out of your own heart any aversion to disagreement.
Vote Placed by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
FinalfanJacobAndersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: concession