GiantSpoonMan
hosslay

Is Christianity false?

GiantSpoonMan

Pro

Hello, you may make your argument in the first round if you wish. Same applies as the other debate.

Good luck!
hosslay

Con

I thank you for starting this debate. (which makes you an intelligent agent or creator) I will use this debate for acceptance, and I ask God to open both of our minds and give us guidance. Good luck
GiantSpoonMan

Pro

To make it clear I am going to be arguing that Christianity is false.

Thank you for your acceptance. Quick disclaimer my goal is not to offend anyone. I only wish to look at this logically and I will try to be careful with what I say...

To start off I would like to make sure I have my facts straight(correct me if I'm wrong).
According to the bible earth was created six thousand years ago.
God is a perfect being and we were created in his image.
Jesus is the savior and was sent by god to die for our sins.
The devil was an angel who was kicked out of heaven by God.
Noah put two of every animal on his arch to save them from the flood.
Adam and Eve were the first two people God put on this earth.
Eve ate the forbidden fruit which in turn punished all of humanity.
Animals are here for the use of humans.

If I got anything wrong feel free to correct me.

I am going to argue that science takes the place of God.
Earth was created 4.5 billion years ago.
Humans came around through evolution.
We humans are not as important as we think.
Heaven and Hell do not exist.
The laws of physics have never been broken.
The Big Bang created the universe.
Dinosaurs did exist long before humans.
There is an extremely large chance of life on other planets.

http://www.wisegeek.org...
http://www.umich.edu...
http://physics.about.com...

Humans are rather unimportant when looking at the grand scale of the universe. We are a species that inhabits a planet which orbits a star. This star accounts for 99.9% of all matter in our solar system. We are one of eight planets(not even one of the large ones) in our solar system. Our star is only one of 200-400 billion in our galaxy. Our galaxy is one in 125 billion(estimation) in our universe. For all we know we may even have multiple universes. So why are we humans special? Why would God create us in his image? Statistically speaking earth isn't even special which means there is most likely life scattered throughout the universe. Wouldn't those species think that God created them in his image? What about the 100 billion bacteria in every square inch of your intestine, wouldn't they think that humans are just made so that they can have a suitable home?
hosslay

Con

hosslay forfeited this round.
GiantSpoonMan

Pro

I take that as a surrender. Vote pro.
hosslay

Con

hosslay forfeited this round.
GiantSpoonMan

Pro

Vote Pro.
hosslay

Con

hosslay forfeited this round.
GiantSpoonMan

Pro

Vote Pro.
hosslay

Con

hosslay forfeited this round.
Posted by GiantSpoonMan 3 years ago
GiantSpoonMan
Kevin if you want to make a debate about this that's fine, but I don't want to discuss this in the comments.
Posted by kevinmurphy 3 years ago
kevinmurphy
If we are going off of the assumption that God does exist (which I do believe) and askng why it took Him so long, Christians believe God has been here since before the creation of the universe, He has existed forever, so to him, that 13,960,000,000 years would be very insignificant. Now the you may be thinking that if 13 billion years is insignificant to God, then that means our life is billions of times more insignficant. But I believe that God created us in his image, and if he would invest Himself in a task that he ultimately knew would end in disaster (through the institution of original sin) and was willing to give up his son Jesus Christ, who I believe died to end sin, then he must have knowledge that somedaywe will fulfill what He already knows. He has faith in our faith in Him (if that makes any sense). Now, going back to your point about the bacteria, and how they might "think" that God had created them in his image, Bacteria can't think... Humans were given the ability to think, to have free will (do you believe in free will?), to extensively communicate with each other, and to grow in knowledge of all that goes on around us.

I would also like to ask you where you were planning on going in your argument about the fact that dinosaurs existed long before humans. Were you trying to ask why God didn't make Humans first? There are tons of questions like that which I obviously don't know the answer to. Honestly, I question God and His existence sometimes, but I always revert back to my original belief in God. I obviously am not God, and only God himself knows why He waited, maybe he felt it was the wrong time. Maybe he procrastinated... I don't know, but that is where faith and trust are important and it is that faith and trust that keep me believing in God.
Posted by GiantSpoonMan 3 years ago
GiantSpoonMan
Thanks kevin for your input. The beauty of the Big Bang is the fact that it was NOT perfect. If every the energy from the big bang made a perfect explosions everything would be evenly spaced from everything else and nothing we know and see today would have been formed. Whose to say that there was only one Big Bang? It is very possible that there are many other failed universes from other Big Bangs that didn't work out quite as well as ours, that's why we are not there. You talk about the fact that this all can't just be random, it's just to complex. Remember that the Big Bang happened 14-15 billion years ago but life on early happened only 2.4 billion years ago. Even better Homo Sapiens have been dated back only 400,000 years ago. So if there is a god who created humans, what took him so long? Why would it take god 13,960,000,000 years to zap us into existance? It seems much more likely that we are just in a great spot in the universe for life and that is the only reason we are here.
Posted by kevinmurphy 3 years ago
kevinmurphy
I realize that you are taking your information regarding the creation of the earth directly from the Bible, but many of the stories in Genesis are merely written as a way to show that God truly did create the universe and Earth. If we were meant to take them literally, why then would there be two different creation stories. As for your argument about how the big bang theory is true, The Big Bang theory itself was first proposed by Georges Lema"tre (Not Hubble), who was a Belgian PRIEST and a professor at a Catholic University. It is accepted by the Church as a theory, but there also is an element of faith. The Bang Theory suggests that the Universe developed by a series of atoms hitting atoms, which eventually led to the origin of all that exists today. But if we are supposing the Big Bang Theory is the way the universe was created (for the sake of the argument) you can't honestly think that we got here, arguing this topic just by an atom hitting another atom which set off the entire chain reaction. That would be supposing that we are here completely by chance, that if one atom along the way had missed another, we wouldn't be here now. But as a Catholic, and supposing the Big Bang Theory is true, I believe that God has somehow (with his God skills) guided the creation of the Universe so that we are here right now, debating whether or not there truly is a God and why the Bible includes stories that we aren't meant to take as literal (another ex., Noah's arc, also mentioned by you) along with whatever else comes up. I do appreciate a good argument and hope that we can continue this debate in the comments of this Actual Debate. May the best Man Win!