kdthird3
theoneandonlykas

Is Christmas Starting Too Early?

theoneandonlykas

kdthird3

Pro

This Topic may seem frivolous but I have heard some major complaints about it. It doesn't annoy as much as it does to some, but I do believe they push Christmas too hard. This year K Mart put up an ad in September. Halloween just ending and 24/7 Christmas music has started. I am not a Scrooge, I actually enjoy the holiday season, but we skipping right over thanksgiving. Now, I know one of you're arguments could be that it makes the stores loads of money, which is 100% true. But I do not believe that they will make anymore money by promoting it now compared to starting on black Friday. As for the holiday music, it is more of an annoyance than anything else. They start playing it November 1st, but by the time Christmas roles around you'll grow tired of hearing the same songs and eating the same "holiday flavored" foods. This is my stance on things and I'd like to wish my opponent good luck.
theoneandonlykas

Con

(Thank you for the luck.)
I don't necessarily think they "push Christmas too hard" around this time of year. They are only trying to make sure people know what is hot this season. The closer we get to the holiday, the harder it will be to shop. People need to be sure they get what they want, and in order to do that they should get it as soon as they have the money. As for the Christmas music, it can be annoying to hear it a lot. Which is why you can change the station on the radio, or put your headphones on while you're at the store. Holiday themed food is definitely popular, but nobody is holding a gun to your head at the grocery store, or at restaurants making you eat it. Nobody is making you go to that Christmas party.
kdthird3

Pro

Now my opponent does bring up some good points, but I would like to focus on the commercials and big corporations. (I would also like to point out I have no problem with people saying "Merry Christmas" in stores even though you may not celebrate it). But with the commercials it is unavoidable and you are basically forced to watch them. I'd have no problem with them if they started after Thanksgiving weren't on every second of the day. I also feel that these big corporations (I.e. Walmart, Target) take the true meaning of Christmas out of it and send messages to the youth audience. They obviously can't focus on the religious aspect on commercials, but they make Christmas out to be a materialistic holiday rather then the old "Christmas is about giving not receiving." I also don't like what black Friday has turned into either. People basically skip thanksgiving just to wait outside of a store. Also, it just shows how much money theese stores are charging us when things are 75% off and they are still making profits. That's just my take on these (and remember I am a fan of Christmas) and I am excited to see how my opponent responds.
theoneandonlykas

Con

All commercials are "unavoidable" if you get right down to it. All of them are on all the time, every second of the day it seems like. We learn to ignore them over time, and the same will happen with these holiday commercials. And even then, you are still not forced to watch them. You an skip them if you have DVR. You can change the channel or mute the TV if they really tick you off that much. Big corporations have a job to do, and that is to sell stuff to people. It is up to the parents to tell their kids that Christmas is all about giving to others. It is up to the parents to let their kids know big corporations probably aren't the best role models. The one thing I cannot stand is people who complain about black Friday. It isn't like people who have to work can't spend time with their families. Places are getting a lot better about letting their employees have the holiday off. Sure, they have come super early the next day, but so does everybody else who wants great deals. It is one of the best ways to ensure you get most of the items you want. The fact that is is hours after you sat down and thought about what you were thankful doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that people only think about what they are really thankful for the year.
kdthird3

Pro

I have no problem with people who have to work on black Friday. What I do have a problem with is when they have to work on Thanksgiving. I believe they call it "Brown Thursday". Now obviously this takes away from their chance to spend time with family. They cannot skip work because most of these people live pay check to pay check, and no one would want to go in for them. And also, you've probably seen ads like "if you get this for your kids, they will brag about it in school". The kids actually go into school and brag about what they got. Now this extends further than Christmas. What if an upper class student gets like an iPad and brags to everyone. There are under privillaged kids in that class that will see this and probably ask their parents why they didn't get such gifts. I obviously don't think you should be punished for your success as I am not a liberal. I would consider myself more of a republican. And finally I would like to add, why is there never any Channakuh ads when their holiday involves giving just as much gifts, if not more. I'd say about 80% of ads directly say Christmas when they could say "Holidays". In my opinion that would also make them more money as it wouldn't scare off people who are celebrating another holiday. This has been a great debate so far and I'm excited to see who will win.
theoneandonlykas

Con

I was unaware that "Brown Thursday" even existed. And if that's the case, how often does it really happen? Yes spending time with your family is important on holidays, but so is any other time. Maybe we just shouldn't put so much emphasis on just spending time on holidays. Maybe people should start to cherish spending quality time on weekends and other times too. I won't deny the fact that kids will go back to school and brag about lots of expensive and unnecessary gifts. The underprivileged kids probably do go home and ask their parents why they didn't get something as expensive. That's where the parents tell them the truth. Some people have more money than other people, and in either case you should be thankful that you got something at all. There are a lot more Christmas ads going on most likely because Christmas is such a mainstream holiday. It is probably the first one everyone thinks of, and I think I can safely say that the majority of America celebrates it. Nobody wants to waste money on an ad for another holiday that people may celebrate since it is not as popular. People should know that whatever holiday they choose to celebrate is special and important whether or not it is advertised.
Vote Placed by QTAY21 2 years ago
QTAY21
kdthird3theoneandonlykasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument made more sense to me. I understand the early holiday things can be annoying if you let it be, but con is right. Businesses have jobs to do, and they provide things for us. Selling them early is actually good, gets more advertisements out, and gets people buying. During the holiday season, the economy does much better. Think that's a coincidence? It's because of the increase in business, thanks to the holiday season. What's worse? Dealing with a minor annoyance once in a while? Or hurting the economy, which affects all of us?
Vote Placed by Anakin 2 years ago
Anakin
kdthird3theoneandonlykasTied
Reasons for voting decision: The avoidable argument I really didn't agree with, because the only way to avoid it is to live in a box. If its outside, on tv, on the radio, in the stores how you really avoid it. And the agrument that they not trying to push it but let us know whats "hot", thats them pushing it.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
kdthird3theoneandonlykasTied
Reasons for voting decision: con rebuts pro sufficiently in that not only do people NOT have to listen to the Christmas ads, it is also acceptable for them to start celebrating early. Very close debate, good fight from both of you.