llaurenthellama
MWonderWolf

Is Cloning Animals A Good Idea?

llaurenthellama

Pro

Cloning animals is a good idea to me. We could recreate all the extinct animals and bugs, resulting in a rich environment for the future.
MWonderWolf

Con

Cloning animals/people is not a good idea because, well, just think of Jurrasic Park and World. If you haven't seen those movies, you don't want to watch them. I couldn't watch all of either. The animals and bugs went extinct for a reason. What would happen if we brought back the saber tooth tiger or the mastodons?
llaurenthellama

Pro

I believe that the Jurassic Park/World movies were warnings in themselves, telling us not to go off and recreate dinosaurs. We'd start easy; For example: the Dodo. Then we'd grow from there. I agree that certain animals would not be desirable for, say, pets, but others would be an instant hit.
MWonderWolf

Con

You know, cloning is just for making two of something. If you tried to take dodo DNA and clone it, it would turn into more dodo DNA. If you clone something, you make an exact copy of it.
llaurenthellama

Pro

That is false. Scientists have cloned extinct animals. The longest they lasted was ten minutes, but I see great promise for the future. Below I have attached some websites that you will find come in handy.

Links

Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

New York Post
http://nypost.com...
MWonderWolf

Con

Yes, like I said, that is not cloning. Look up the definition of cloning. They use DNA and stuff like that. Somehow. I'm not a technician. But they don't use cloning machines. That is 'de-extinction', and not 'cloning'.
llaurenthellama

Pro

View this for how to clone animals:
https://www.genome.gov...
I understand that in the near future and present that they don't use cloning machines.
MWonderWolf

Con

Yes, that is completely true. But you were saying that by cloning we can bring back extinct animals, which is untrue. They CAN clone extinct animals, after they do the crazy thing with DNA and make the animal, then they can clone it. However, we are straying from the topic, don't you think? This debate was out wether or not cloning animals/people is a good idea.
llaurenthellama

Pro

llaurenthellama forfeited this round.
MWonderWolf

Con

Ok, she forfeit. Well, I had fun! Thanks for the time, llaurenthellama! I hope you had fun too.
Posted by MWonderWolf 9 months ago
MWonderWolf
Round 4: Sorry, ABOUT, not out ;)