uwaga
realerthanlifeJK

Is Cropping a Dog's Ears an Acceptable Procedure?

uwaga

Pro

Alright, so I've noticed a lot of controversy about whether it is acceptable to Crop a dog's ears.

I will be arguing that Cropping a dog's ears is perfectly acceptable.

You can post your first argument in round one, or you can accept. Either is fine, since 4 rounds is plenty for me to present my argument.

Cheers!
realerthanlifeJK

Con

Nice dog, I've got a golden lab/retriever mix.

I think that cropping dogs ears is an unacceptable procedure because even if it doesn't hurt the dogs. (It hurts the dogs.)
It is really a type of greed to have things the way you always want things. (Example: Have your face always on money, Have your name on shirts, ect.)
uwaga

Pro

Thank you for the compliment ^_^ He's a Maremma sheepdog mix, but most people mistake him for a lab.

Also, my apologies for taking so much time to come up with an argument. Unfortunately, a large portion of websites are quite biased on this matter.

Now for my argument

First off, the definition of ear cropping according to multiple sources, for the benefit of anyone reading this discussion who has never heard the term:

"Cropping is the removal of part or all of the pinnae or auricles, the external visible flap of the ear, of an animal."
- Wikipedia [ http://en.wikipedia.org... ]

"Ear cropping is a surgical procedure that involves precise cutting and shaping of the ear pinna (the floppy part of the ears) in order to make the ears stand erect."
- about.com [ http://dogs.about.com... ]

A benefit of ear cropping (or cosmetic otoplasty) is the reduced risk of ear infection. There is a direct correlation between cropped ears and reduced chance of canine ear infections, which can be painful to the dog. "Several surveys indicate that when pedigreed dogs are grouped according to whether they possess pendulous or erect ears, the incidence of otitis externa is in the range of 13 to 14% versus 5%, respectively." [1] Also, ear cropping prevents from injury to the ears in working dogs.

Ear cropping is typically done around the age of 8-12 weeks of age in dogs. Anesthetic is administered prior to the surgery to so the dog feels no pain during the surgery, and usually pain pills are given to the dog afterwards while the ears are still healing. The ears are taped (the tape is redone each week for typically for around 8 weeks or until the dog's ears can stand on their own - for breeds with thicker stronger ears, like the great dane, this process could take a little longer). The dog may feel some discomfort from having the tape on their ears and cone on their head (to prevent scratching the taped ears during the healing period), but the dog should not feel much, if any pain from the ear cropping.

Some breeds, such as the Doberman Pinscher, are required to have their ears cropped according to their breed standard. [2] If the breeder refuses to crop their show dog's ears, they will suffer a penalty, and have no real chance at doing well in competitions, since there will always be that pesky uncropped ears penalty tagging along with them. This is meant to preserve the breed, and many breeders choose to crop the ears of their Doberman puppies before sale, since the cropping of ears is mandatory according to breed standard.

And finally, here is the American Kennel Club's stand on the matter (according to a statement released 21 November, 2008)

"At a joint meeting this Wednesday AKC explained to the AVMA that we recognize ear cropping and tail docking, as prescribed in certain breed standards, are acceptable practices integral to defining and preserving breed character, enhancing good health, and preventing injuries. These breed characteristics are procedures performed to insure the safety of dogs that on a daily basis perform heroic roles with Homeland Security, serve in the U.S. Military and at Police Departments protecting tens of thousands of communities throughout our nation as well as competing in the field.

Mislabeling these procedures as "cosmetic" is a severe mischaracterization that connotes a lack of respect and knowledge of history and the function of purebred dogs." [3]

[1] http://www.petmd.com...
[2] http://www.akc.org...
[3] http://www.akc.org...
realerthanlifeJK

Con

realerthanlifeJK forfeited this round.
uwaga

Pro

uwaga forfeited this round.
realerthanlifeJK

Con

realerthanlifeJK forfeited this round.
uwaga

Pro

uwaga forfeited this round.
realerthanlifeJK

Con

Hey I'm back but...

realerthanlifeJK forfeited this round.
uwaga

Pro

uwaga forfeited this round.
realerthanlifeJK

Con

realerthanlifeJK forfeited this round.
Posted by britkit_francis 2 years ago
britkit_francis
You might have to unless somebody tries to finish the debate in the comments.
Posted by uwaga 2 years ago
uwaga
Oh, that's a shame. I hope they get their account back. I was really looking forward to continuing this debate with them.

So how do I open the debate to others? Do I just have to re-post this debate?
Posted by britkit_francis 2 years ago
britkit_francis
uwaga...

Sorry but realerthanlife lost his account due to software updates so this debate is open to people who want to finish this

realerthanlifeJK may become RemembertheninthofMay