alecburn
Theradicalfeminist

Is Cultural Appropriation a bad thing?

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

alecburn

Con

I understand the need for representation it allows people to see others like them and realize they are normal and should not be ashamed of how they were born. I get that portraying entire cultures offensively is bad and leads to stereotypes. I get that costumes or portrayals that are meant to disrespect are bad this is were i think culturally black face is. I usually am able to understand and agree with progressive thought but cultural appropriation baffles me.

The greatest struggle modern society faces is the challenge to teach it's kids that everyone is of equal worth no matter their sex, race, ethnicity, or appearance. Cultural appropriation says every one is equal but you aren't allowed to dress up or portray people you don't look like. Especially when it comes to kids they dress up as people they respect and think look cool why would it be okay to dress up like a Anglo viking but not the rock's character in Moana they aren't trying to change their race or ethnicity it's simply respect. Culture is a good thing that should be treasured but why is it wrong when someone enjoys it in the same way they do?
Theradicalfeminist

Pro

WOW, I CANT BELIEVE YOU. YOU SAY THAT CULTURAL APPROPRIATON IS A BAD THING, I THINK IT'S GOOD BECAUSE CISGENDER TRANSPHOBIC RACIST PEOPLE LIKE YOU, ARE SITTING THERE AND SAYING THAT MUSLIMS ARE BAD. I bet you don't even watch laci green, get educated. :)
alecburn

Con

And there goes any chance of actually getting a good answer
Theradicalfeminist

Pro

YEAH, BECAUSE YOUR ANSWER IS BAD. WHITE MAN. i can't believe how misogynistic you are.
alecburn

Con

Do you enjoy discouraging debate. I think a good rebuttal is out there probably valuing culture very highly, but maybe not at this website i'm becoming more and more convinced the average user here is a conservative white high school male. Which is fine for some topics but makes it hard to actually get a interesting answer for things dubbed of being tumblr.
Theradicalfeminist

Pro

How DARE YOU SPEAK POORLY OF TUMBLR, IT'S A SAFE SPACE WHERE WOMEN CAN TALK ABOUT THE PATRIARCHY YOU ARE A CISGENDER WHITE HIGH SCHOOL RACIST TRANSPHOBIC MALE.