Jcroupe
beachgirl67

Is Dance a Sport

Started: 3/5/2015 Category: Sports

Jcroupe

Pro

I do believe dance is a sport. I also believe that it is an art. Who said something had to be one or the other? Dance is a rare activity that can fit into both categories. The expression of the soul within the costumes, choreography, and music align with the art aspect. However, the strength, skill, competition, and physical exertion needed fit into the sports category.
beachgirl67

Con

First off, I would like to state I have nothing against dance. It is beautiful to watch and can express emotion people can't show otherwise. I would agree with you dance can be an art, but a sport? I have my doubts on that.

The definition of a sport according to The Oxford Dictionary is "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." I do not think dance corresponds to the definition of a sport. In dance, you aren't doing it purely to beat the other team. In fact, usually there aren't teams. An individual will dance and get scored by the judges or other people. There isn't even a goal in dance. For example, in hockey you shoot the puck in the goal, in basketball you throw the ball in the hoop, etc. In dance there isn't something to aim for; you're really just moving. There isn't a set of rules in dance either. In dance, dancers can get scored by a judge's simple opinion. Other real sports have a specific goal-count and there is always a clear winner. Besides, the scoring is a lot different. Someone might think a dance is horrendous while someone else might think it's beautiful. In baseball for example, there isn't an opinion on who wins. If the red team scored 6 runs and the purple team scored 9 runs, the purple wins regardless of what people might think.

In addition, I would like to add that many great dancers strive to go to the university Juliard, which is a school for THE ARTS. Juliard is a school for dance, drama, and music. Regular colleges with sports teams usually don't include a dance team. Also, dance is not in the Olympics ( Which includes virtually every sport you could imagine.) If simple physical exertion and skill is all it took to be a sport as you claim, many, many other things could be included as a sport.
Jcroupe

Pro

Jcroupe forfeited this round.
beachgirl67

Con

Since my opponent has forfeited, I will not offer any new information.
Jcroupe

Pro

Jcroupe forfeited this round.
beachgirl67

Con

beachgirl67 forfeited this round.
Jcroupe

Pro

Jcroupe forfeited this round.
beachgirl67

Con

beachgirl67 forfeited this round.
Jcroupe

Pro

Jcroupe forfeited this round.
beachgirl67

Con

beachgirl67 forfeited this round.
Posted by kkurke 1 year ago
kkurke
I agree that competitive dance can be classified as a sport, however it all depends on the perspective. The question although "Is dance a sport" that is not specifying if its competitive or just casual dancing. This debate topic was not explained properly, so it is all dependant on perspectives not facts.
Posted by JadeC 1 year ago
JadeC
Competitive dance is a sport, it fulfills the dictionary definition of a sport. The definition starts off saying "a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other," (Learners Dictionary) this proves that dance is a sport. The confusion of if dance is a sport or not because of the fine definition of art, "something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings," (Merriam-Webster) as dance could easily fall into that category. Another reason for why people might get confused is because most of dancers say "it is challenging, so why don't you try it?" when any art can also be physically/mentally challenging. Going back to the definition of a sport, I would like to go through the entire definition and relate it to dance. "Physical activities" dance requires athletes t participate and you must be prepared to give tremendous amounts of energy and hard work to become a dancer. A sport is something with "specific set of rules and compete against each other" there are many competitions that occur during the dance year. If you look on a competition website there is almost always a competition every single weekend. Also there are many levels of competitions such as Regionals, Nationals, and Worlds which is like the Olympics of dance. The Olympic Games is a competition held for high-level sports achievers. The only reason why dance is not in the Olympics is because of the scoring, meaning we are being judged rather than being timed or scored. A sport is something that "requires skill or physical activity," the footwork and memory involved in dance requires many years of training. The height at which dancers reach is not something that is naturally given to you, you have to work for that skill and practice to obtain the height and air time. From experience in the past, dance is a sport.