NikkiChak
Preston

Is Dance a Sport?

Started: 7/1/2014 Category: Sports

NikkiChak

Pro

Dance is most definitely a sport. All dancers are athletes. They take time to train, exercise, travel, and work out. We sweat way more than football players do and burn twice as many calories. We compete just like every other sport. We get bruises, pull muscles, bleed, and break bones. Don't count dancers out. We have the strength of football players, muscles like weight lifters, stunts like cheerleaders, flexibility like contortionists, legs like soccer players, tumbling like gymnasts, and can handle pain like no one else. We combine all assets of all sports into one. Dance.
Preston

Con

I do not think dance is a sport rather an event or competition, similar to track and field where you participate in an event. I'm not saying that dance isn't physically demanding or even hard, but I am saying that it doesn't have the ability to allow you to interfere with your opponent thus you are not participating in a sport. Chris Crawford, founder of The Journal of Computer Game Design, gave us this guideline:

If the player can only outperform the opponent, but not attack them to interfere with their performance, the conflict is a competition.

Dance does not allow you to attack or interfere with performance thus it is not a sport.

Ref: The Art Of Computer Design [Book]
NikkiChak

Pro

What is the definition of a sport? According to Dictionary.com "Sport:an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature". There is competition in dance and I am not talking about at dance competitions. It's in class with your peers. I doubt you even understand what I'm talking about because you have probably never participated in a serious dance class.
Preston

Con

My opponent has a misunderstanding about what Practice is, she seems to think that because her and her peers compete against one another outside of competitions that she is thus in a sport, She is instead practicing Miriam Webster Dictionary states practice is "repeated exercise in or performance of an activity or skill so as to acquire or maintain proficiency in it" to say I'm competing in practice would mean school is a sport because you receive a school rank. She still isn't showing where she can interfere with her opponent, thus she is competing in a competition not a sport. She Admits to this by saying the competition occurs outside of actual competitions and instead in practice.

Practice: http://is.gd...
NikkiChak

Pro

What my opponent fails to realize is that I am a serious dancer. I have danced since I was 18 months. I have interfered with opponents since I was 4. There are dance battles that I have participated in which I have 'interfered' with my opponents. Please tell me when you interfere with your opponent in track, tennis, and gymnastics. The definition of Practice according to Webster's Dictionary is "perform repeatedly to become proficient". The competition still occurs at the actual competition, I am just saying that you are constantly competing with your peers even at the actual competition.
Preston

Con

What my oppenent fails to ralise is it doesnt matter what personal experience she holds it doesnt change what dance is, under her logic walking is a sport because ive done it since i was little. You fail to show how you interfered with others, and tennis you put spin on the ball to attack your opponents, however track and gymnastics are competitions also. she then procedes to say that she is competing with peers at competitions even though she said shes "not talking about dance competitions", thus contradicting herself. But this still falls under a competition. She has failed to attack my Chris Crawford card defining dance as a competition thus she agrees through omission of the argument, thus his standard for competition holds and applies.
NikkiChak

Pro

In dance competitions, you show off your best skills and they have to try and top it which therefore is interfering with them. Your Chris Crawford card is bull. He does not know what he is talking about and you obviously don't either. Don't you know better than to argue with a woman? I have performed in front of Olympians at the 2012 Olympics and am doing so again in 2016. I have heard talk of putting dance into the Olympics.
Preston

Con

First that is not what interfering is Meriam Webster defines Interfering as "to interpose in a way that hinders or impedes" your not impeding someone by competing with them, that makes this a competition. Secondly, you have not shown why my card is incorrect simply called it bull, thus it still stands from a credibility stand point. Third, I find your conduct unappealing that instead of participation in this debate with me that you would put out a sexist statement when people are fighting for equality. Lastly, being in the Olympics doesn't make it a sport, we see this when looking at track, where people are participating in competitions instead of sports. Thus because no points stand for my opponent, it is a competition.
NikkiChak

Pro

http://listofsports.com...
This link shows everything you need to know. And dancers do not outperform each other, we use our skills against them which is what everyone does in any sport. You use your best skills against them to bring them down
Preston

Con

Its awesome you have a citation, however it doesn't say dance is a sport in there either. I will conclude by pointing out what was presented:

Dance fulfills the requirements for a competition but not sport because there is no interference.

My cards brought up throughout this round stand without reasonable question.

Dance requires skill and dexterity, and is extremely difficult and physically demanding. It would fall under the same category as Body building, it takes hours on end and persistence.

Due to the lack of opposing evidence and arguments we can only see a ballot in favor of the negation.
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
Sashil I have a friend who is a hardcore dancer and I've been to the competitions, I think what you guys do is amazing but I feel like its on par with body building, neither are sports but both take time and effort.
Posted by Sashil 2 years ago
Sashil
Being a dancer myself I can seriously relate to what PRO in this debate is trying to convey but do have doubts on whether he would be able to prove it factually since its more of a personal opinion than a fact. Nevertheless I wish good luck to both the contestants.Cheers!!
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
my bad the link was cut short by one character, its http://is.gd....
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
wow low amount of chars.