xastridraeburnx
Varrack

Is Dance a sport?

Varrack
Started: 4/29/2015 Category: Sports

xastridraeburnx

Pro

I think dance is a sport. It is great exercise and is very physically demanding. And for the people that say "well it's not in the Olympics so it's not a sport," what about Rock climbing and Karate? These are both examples of sports that are not in the Olympics.
Varrack

Con

Since Pro has not defined any terms, I shall do so.

Google defines "sport" as: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."[1]

Google defines "dance" as: "move rhythmically to music, typically following a set sequence of steps."[2]

Since the resolution pertains to the absolute, it is calling for all dance of being a sport. However, we can quickly negate this resolution by showing that dance isn't always a sport, and that there are instances in which it cannot be one. Moving rhythmically to music does not require team competition.

[1] https://www.google.com.au...
[2] https://www.google.com.au...
xastridraeburnx

Pro

People often say that Dance is an art, not a sport because it involves moving to a rhythm, and it is not featured in the Olympic Games. However, it also requires great physical ability to be good at it. Boxing, Judo and wrestling are considered both sports and arts, and are featured in the Olympics. So why isn"t dance?

I think Dance is a sport and also an art, because it is so physically strenuous yet beautiful to watch. There are somersaults and leaps in some dances just as there are in Gymnastics, which is definitely a sport. You have to constantly work on your dances to keep them looking good, and you can compete in worldwide competitions, just as with any other sport.
Varrack

Con

According to the definitions I have provided, which Pro conceded to both, dance can be a sport, but it is not always one. Since the resolution pertains to the absolute in nature, it can only be assumed that Pro means all kinds of dance. Pro confirms this by bringing up instances in which dance isn't necessarily a sport.

As I proved earlier, dance must have team competition to fit this category. Pro states: "I think Dance is a sport and also an art, because it is so physically strenuous yet beautiful to watch. There are somersaults and leaps in some dances just as there are in Gymnastics, which is definitely a sport." This is Pro's subjective opinion, and is not an argument at all. Pro can't decide what a sport is or isn't, because that definition was already provided. Just because something "is beautiful to watch" does not make it a sport at all, nor does it having gymnastics have anything to do with it.

Vote Con for obvious reasons.
Posted by Kriss15 1 year ago
Kriss15
Is dancing a real sport. Of course it is. In every sport you use your body and muscles. I took a Zumba class before and all you do is dance. You sweat and constantly move every part of your body. I was so sore the first time I went because I know I had used muscles that I have never used before. That is the same concept with any other sport such as basketball, football, hockey etc. They all involve movement. While you are moving you are exercising and strengthen your bones and muscles. I do not think any sport is greater than the other because they all promote the same results. Dancing is just more fun in my opinion. That is the way that exercising should be. America is so strung out on children being obese at a young age. They have become less active and they need something fun to do. Parents get your children up and dance!
Posted by Crooks 1 year ago
Crooks
Pro seems to continue to bring up that people are wrong in assuming dance is not a sport because it's not featured in the Olympics. I'm failing to see how this was ever an accepted definition of a sport, and as such I find more reason on the in Con's arguments.
Posted by SB1359 1 year ago
SB1359
This is gonna be good! There are dancing competitions were individuals or teams compete against each other to impress judges... but that sort of doesn't count...
Posted by FluffyStuffyProuctions 1 year ago
FluffyStuffyProuctions
I feel that what most people don't realize is, dance gets quite the workout. Ever heard of Zumba? That's a exercising DANCE. I'm not a dancer myself, but I feel that some people don't understand.
FluffyStuffyProuctions
Vote Placed by orangutan 1 year ago
orangutan
xastridraeburnxVarrackTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made arguments which Pro more or less ignored, other than to express his subjective appreciation of dance and to compare dance to sometimes being an art. Con, meanwhile, argued that since dance is not ALWAYS a team competition, it should not be a sport, and Pro never disputed this argument.
Vote Placed by Biodome 1 year ago
Biodome
xastridraeburnxVarrackTied
Reasons for voting decision: The debate was basically about Pro trying to change the real definitions to fit his own subjective opinion, while Con successfully argued that this should not be done. Con has demonstrated that Dance does not always involve team competition, and Pro has not refuted that and basically dropped a crucial argument against his own case. While Dance involves physical activity and sometimes competition, that does not make all Dance a sport. Con has done a better job convincing me on that.