Is Dark side of the moon, the best classic rock album?

Jack.Murray has forfeited round #2.
Started: 7/23/2016 Category: Music

I will be arguing that Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon album, is the greatest classic rock album. I saw this argument on this site before, I thought it'd be nice to try it out. It's my first debate though, so go easy.

I accept your challenge. I do love me some Dark Side of the Moon, but this seems fun, so why not?

Okey Dokey, thanks for accepting!

Dark Side of the Moon was the culmination of the artists, the record company, and the audience. An audience with a demand for art in rock music. In a time (late 60s/early 70s) when album sales outsold sales of singles and even mainstream radio played four minute long rock songs. The emphasis was on the album as a whole, not just a bunch of songs thrown together and fitted with a "poppy" hit single, but songs that would flow effortlessly into the next. Conceptual, and symphonic, the album itself had become a work of art.

Alan Parson(the producer) had a vision for Pink Floyd, a vision of a band that would make the next "Abbey road". Alan was instrumental in changing the sound that old Floyd fans were used to. Pink Floyd were growing tired of their long drawn out spacey noise rock jams that had become a signature for them. They were ready to move on.

On May 23, 1973 rolling stone magazine proclaimed dark side of the moon was the first truly progressive rock album. Nobody knew then that dark side was starting out on its record breaking run on the American billboard album charts for 14 years, and would become one of the best selling albums of all time.

Dark side of the moon dealt with issues like death, greed, violence, growing old, and insanity, with a stark new sound that was shocking. It dove, head first into the digital age, as if to say, like it or not, the future is now. Dark side wasn't made to sway listeners toward any specific opinion or point of view, but just an as observation of undeniable truths we all deal with in modern society. Every single lyric just as viable today as the day they were conceived. A timeless classic!

Posted by Smooosh 3 months ago
3 was better than 4!
Posted by dsjpk5 3 months ago
That's a great one for sure, but personally, I'd go with Led Zeppelin 4.