Kidrobot9
MysticEgg

Is Darts a sport?

MysticEgg

Kidrobot9

Con

Darts is obviously not a sport. You can make an argument that you are physically working your body. But you can also make an argument on poker being a sport you are dealing out cards. There for moving your body. You can also say channel surfing is a sport for the same reason.
MysticEgg

Pro

I thank my opponent for challenging me to this debate; I hope it will be entertaining for the audience and voters!

I will make my argument as follows:
Darts is a sport because it fits the definition. The definition of sport (when used as a noun) is:
"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"[1]
Allow me to break this down.
1. An activity - yes. ("The condition in which things are happening or being done.")[2] Things are indeed being done when one plays darts.
2. Involving physical skill ((I will leave physical exertion until the end as this will doubtless be what most of the argument hinges on)). - yes. ("the ability to do something well; expertise")[3] Clearly, the ability to rack up points consistently from a distance involves skill.
3. An individual or team competes. Absolutely! While normally individual - one can also play as a team of two in some cases.[4]
4. for entertainment. Yes! Entertainment for large audiences, very often broadcast on TV; is entertainment. If you want more; it also fits the definition![5]

5. Involving physical exertion. This is where the heart of the debate will lie. Certainly, from a spectator's point of view; darts may appear to be not physically draining. However, consider this:
While darts matches vary greatly in length, we'll say, for the sake of argument; each game lasts one and a half hours. One and a half hours of throwing a dart might not seem like much. Well, they'll be concentrating hard, often holding the dart in place while one sizes up, you will be doing each dart throw three times, tripling the amount, *and* you will be competing against other person(s). This has a strong psychological effect and will often lead to physical effects, too. My friend, darts involves physical exertion!

I conclude that darts is a sport. My opponent bases his argument of a red herring fallacy about the definitions of other sports/activities. Irrelevant. This is about darts. If my opponent is unhappy about how certain activities seem to fit the definition of sports, then the debate should have been called "The definition of sport should be changed" or something along those lines. However, as it stands, my opponent's argument is a red herring fallacy.

On one final note, this is about darts on a professional level.
Once again, I thank my opponent, the audience, and the voters; I await the response(s)!

[1]http://oxforddictionaries.com...
[2]http://oxforddictionaries.com...
[3]http://oxforddictionaries.com...
[4]http://en.wikipedia.org...
[5]http://oxforddictionaries.com...
Kidrobot9

Con

I do not see your point of you physically moving your body. This GAME is about luck and precision. You can try to practice but the thing is it is just is straight luck. I use card games as my biggest example against you. You have "motion" and you have "skills" but is it really a sport? You look me dead in the eye and tell go fish is a sport.
MysticEgg

Pro

I thank my opponent for his refute; I will now counter it.

My opponent effectively uses a red herring fallacy again by moving the debate over to whether Go Fish is a sport. My opponent uses an equivocation fallacy of:
Darts involves luck; darts is a sport.
Go fish (a card game) involves luck, therefore, go fish is a sport.

This is a fallacy and a fallacy is, by definition, not logical[1].
That is what my opponent's counter boils down to; a fallacy within a fallacy and a rhetorical question. I have countered it.

I extend my argument.

I will thank my opponent, he audience, and the voters once again; and I await your response(s)!

Source(s):

[1]http://oxforddictionaries.com...
Kidrobot9

Con

My opponent seems blind. In go Fish you do ask a person if they have your card. If they say yes than you got lucky and asked the right person. Darts is the same thing . You do realize you have to hit a certain target and If you miss you are UNLUCKY.
MysticEgg

Pro

My opponent resorts to childish ad hominem attacks against me, making provocations instead of arguments. He also continues to institute a red herring fallacy about how lucky you can be in Go Fish. There's luck involved in everything on some level, yes, so to that extent darts involves luck. But on a professional level? No extra luck than on anything else in life.
My opponent also seems to think that "darts is the same thing" on Go Fish. Therefore:
In darts, one must ask his/her opponent if s/he has his/her card (or dart). If his/her opponent does then they got lucky.
However, in darts, no one asks anything of the sort[1].
"You do realize you have to hit a certain target and If you miss you are UNLUCKY.[?]"
Or you are drunk, not paying attention, being an idiot, or otherwise.
I extent all my refutes and my argument. Darts is a sport, by definition of sport.

I thank the audience and the voters for reading this short and snappy, one day debate!

Source(s):

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org...
Vote Placed by funwiththoughts 3 years ago
funwiththoughts
Kidrobot9MysticEggTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did show that darts fit the definition of a sport, and Con never really addressed anything he said. Con's grammar was awful, and Pro used sources.
Vote Placed by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
Kidrobot9MysticEggTied
Reasons for voting decision: This may seem like a vote bomb, but it is for obvious reasons. Con was thrown around and proven wrong without offering up any type of rebuttal.