Is Death bad?

Due to an assignment, I as a student will do my best in order to support the claim that Death is bad. Whether or not I personally believe that to be the case is irrelevant.

My premise is that "Death is bad".

The reason I am supporting this argument is due to mainly two things. The first one have something to do with what Nagel stated about Death. For Nagel, he stated that Death is bad for it is a type of deprivation. We as a living-being experience many things in this world we know as life. The things we hold close to or as I like to refer as "attachments" are things that would cause anyone to view Death as an evil entity.

Death in this cause would be "the loss of a life" and this loss would include but not limited to the following:
loss of one's future
loss of one's pleasures
loss of one's value

The second thing would be the suffering that comes with Death.
The first case would be with the victim before he/she is dead.
The second case would be with the victim's associates (friends, family, etc...), that would experience grief due to the victim's death.

In order to further my point, if a unknown man came up to someone who is about to die or in the process of dying, and offer that someone with an additional five more years to life. That someone who is accustomed to live and only knows things through empirical and rational means would most likely pick to live five more years.

Being that is the case, then they would have to view Death as something unfavorable. Supporting the concept that "Death is Bad".

My premise is that Death is Not Bad and I would dispute your reasoning.
While Nagel does states that death is the deprivation of life, he also further states that "It is often said that those who object to death have made the MISTAKE of trying to imagine what it is like to be dead". Therefore, since we cannot know what death is like, there is no rational way of knowing that it is inevitably bad. That is like saying you do not like something without trying it or tasting it. We have no knowledge, no experience, no research, no anything about death, so why is it that we can state that it is bad " we cannot. We do not know. So therefore, if death is what Nagel implies, and just the "deprivation of life", then life albeit which is inclusive of both good and bad experiences; painful and non-painful moments; happy and sad moments " then wouldn"t death be the deprivation of all those negative and positive reactions and feelings. Life is not all good, there are bad days, feelings, moments so therefore, death cannot be all bad, if bad at all, if it simply is the deprivation of life.

If Death is simply the "loss of life" then this loss as stated in my counterparts arguments would yes be the loss of the following:

Loss of one's future;
Loss of one's pleasures;
Loss of one's values;

However, it would ALSO BE THE LOSS OF THE FOLLOWING which is inclusive in one's life;
Loss of one's suffering;
Loss of one's pain;
Loss of one's anxiety;
Loss of one's FEAR;

So I ask, why then is Death Bad? It reaffirms my points, it is not bad - it cannot be bad.

In furtherance, there is no pain in death. Death and dying are two distinct separate entities in and of themselves. The pain, if indeed involved, would be in the process of dying, not in the final act of Death. So Death would then not be bad and would in actuality be the good that actually comes from the dying process if the person was in a painful course. So in all actuality Death in that particular sense would be not only good, but welcomed as to prevent the person from enduring any more pain and suffering from the dying. Death would be considered the hero and the ultimate reward and saving grace from a life of suffering and pain. In this instance someone would wish for their life to be taken.

In response to your scenario about asking someone if they would rather live longer or encounter death - I do not believe that is an accurate accounting to evaluate whether or not Death is Good or Bad since as human beings we are creatures of habit and apt to stick with what we know. Since we usually harbor within the Fear of the Unknown, and Death is the Ultimate Unknown and most humans cower from the unknown, all are likely to choose the familiar and common path " which in your scenario would be life.

As Epicurus stated in his Letter to Menoeceus "The Wise man neither rejects life nor fears death. For living does not offend him, nor does he beieve not living to be something bad. " Good life and Good death.....

Ok, based on what you stated to be your argument (let me know if I misinterpreted you), this is what you pretty much said.

Death is NOT Bad (Conclusion)

"We cannot know what death is like"

"Death is the Ultimate Unknown"

"We have no knowledge, no experience, no research, no anything about death, so why is it that we can state that it is bad " we cannot"

Then you stated within your argument that "Death would be considered the hero and the ultimate reward and saving grace from a life of suffering and pain" and "there is no pain in death".

There makes your argument full of inconsistency. You stated that near the end that Death is the ultimate unknown yet you before suggest Death to be:

Loss of one's suffering;
Loss of one's pain;
Loss of one's anxiety
Loss of one's Fear'

And to even go as far to consider Death as a hero or an ultimate reward. With that all said, you pretty much trying to suggest that although we are unable to know anything about death, we do know that death is et cetera. (Those you mentioned in your argument). This can be used in order to comfort someone to a degree but when suggesting it to be a form of truth is absurd.

kmb4 forfeited this round.

Comincho01 forfeited this round.

kmb4 forfeited this round.