kgbisafterme
DNehlsen

Is Debate. org biased by calling popular subjects, "Big Issues"?

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

kgbisafterme

Pro

A professional statement (no offense meant) would be more along the lines of Important Conflicting Controversies. In an editorial perspective, "issue" is something called a slanter. Slanter means that the word is specifically used to invoke feelings that sway the reader in favor of their view(s). The word rebel or insurgent does not bring to mind anything but evil images. We see Osama Bin Laden and Isis. Does that really bring us to feel that this is a topic in which the opposition is truly being given their fair share?

(For future reference, I meant absolutely nothing when I mentioned only Middle East/American conflicts. They were the only things that came to mind.)
Also pro means that I believe they are biased on the matters categorized under "Big Issues". Con means... you get the point.
DNehlsen

Con

I think this debate really comes down to the definition of the word 'issue.'

Dictionary.com has a couple different definitions, but in defense of Debate.org I would like to highlight a few select ones. (1)

-a point in question or a matter that is in dispute, as betweencontending parties in an action at law.
-a point, matter, or dispute, the decision of which is of special or publicimportance:

Looking at these definitions, we can see that the phrase 'Big Issues' is saying 'Big topics, which are in debate.' I don't see how this wording is at all a problem. These topics are controversial, and therefore they are 'big' and important.

(1) http://www.dictionary.com...;
kgbisafterme

Pro

I understand what you are saying DNehlsen. I must admit you are a worthy opponent. The thing is the way they come at the "issues" is rather vague. It could mean anything and if they had specifically meant that they would have specifically said that. Here we are, however, making blind guesses. I'm not saying they are wrong I more of asking why is it that way?
DNehlsen

Con

They don't leave us guessing. They used a word which has a definition. They made a point, and it makes total sense when under the light of proper definitions. It's not their job to babysit every possible miscommunication. It was phrased in a way that can quite easily be understood given that your goal is not to take issue with their phrasing.
kgbisafterme

Pro

I give bruh! I see the light!
DNehlsen

Con

Alright ;)
Posted by kgbisafterme 1 year ago
kgbisafterme
Lol perussi. ur funny.
Posted by Perussi 1 year ago
Perussi
Meme for kgbisafterme: https://pics.onsizzle.com...
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
I think Barack Obama should be replaced with Donald Trump, as Trump's the president now, and he's doing some stuff people don't like.