lannan13
royalpaladin

Is Dec. 21, 2012 the end

royalpaladin

lannan13

Con

The Aztec calender does not predict the end of the world.
The Aztec calender doesn't predict the end of the world, why? Well the calender hanging up in my room isn't ment to predict the end of the world. This would bring up 2 different outcomes. 1 the end of the calender just means the begining of a new cycle. 2 they ran out of room. I mean come on they wrote pretty big and on a rock you are bound to run out of room.
royalpaladin

Pro

My opponent has made his argument with the claim that the "Aztec calendar does not predic the end of the world."

He is correct: The MAYAN calendar makes the prediction, and not the Aztec calendar.

Please do not allow him to change the resolution: he explicitly stated that the Aztec calendar does not predict the end of the world. It is not fair for him to swtich the resolution after someone has already accepted the debate.
lannan13

Con

Okay, my bad (hand covering face) not every one is perfect. But to continue. The Mayan calender doesn't predict the end of the world, why? Well the calender hanging up in my room isn't ment to predict the end of the world. This would bring up 2 different outcomes. 1 the end of the calender just means the begining of a new cycle. 2 they ran out of room. I mean come on they wrote pretty big and on a rock you are bound to run out of room.
royalpaladin

Pro

I stand by my negation because an analysis of Mayan culture reveals that 2012 is indeed the end of the world.

Mayan mythology divided the ages into ba'k'tuns, or worlds. Literally, according to Mayan mythology, the end of one world was the beginning of another. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org...(Native_American_mythology)) The Mayan Long Count calendar was a linear, rather than a cyclical calendar, meaning that there is no other cycle: the calendar ends when the year is reached. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org...). According to the Mayans, the Long Count Calendar ends on our equivalent of December 21, 2012, which means that the Fourth Ba'k'tun, or "world" would end and the Fifth Ba'k'tun would begin. So, according to Mayan mythology, the current world ends on December 21, 2012 and the next world begins on that date.

Problems with my opponent's cases:

He has two central arguments. The first is that a New Cycle starts. Unfortunately, as my sources explain, the Long Count Calendar is linear rather than cyclical, so it cannot start a new cycle. His second argument is that they "ran out of space." Unfortunately for him, the date is not measured in a stone tablet calendar; instead, it was inscribed on several ruins, including the Tortuguero site.

I feel sorry for my opponent; he is applying Christian beliefs to the ancient Mayan tradition. The world will indeed end on December 21, 2012, though not in the manner that he seems to assert.
lannan13

Con

1st how dare you insult me, what is this 1986. anyways back to the debate. the pro has no topicality. No Inherency (cause) for the end of the world. and in debate those are the key issues
royalpaladin

Pro

Unfortunately, my opponent has fundamentally misunderstood my arguments. He offered no refutation whatsoever and resorted to a false claim of a personal attack in order to win the round. He never explains why I have no inherency or topicality. I do not need to prove why the world will end in 2012: I simply need to show that according to the Mayan prophecies, the 4th ba'k'tun would end on December 21, 2012 and usher in the Fifth World, or Fifth Ba'k'tun. I never used personal attacks and only used evidence in the round to show this to be true. Please vote for me because my arguments went unrefuted.
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
Though, the rapture could be December 21, 2012, I doubt it. Also, the Mayans probably just didn't make anything after that, figured it was several hundred years from now, and that they could add more later. That's how I would have seen it.
Posted by payneele000 5 years ago
payneele000
It does not matter, science will never prevail over the truth. I would like to see science in terms of the end of the world like the world will never actually end until after the rapture.
Posted by royalpaladin 5 years ago
royalpaladin
Africaded: I never said the world will end in a Christian sense (this was even discussed in the debate). According to Mayan mythology, the world will, in fact, end, and a new world will begin on December 21, 2012. He explicitly made the debate about Mesoamerican beliefs, in case you missed his first post. Anyways, I think that it is sad that you would want to vote based on your beliefs instead of on the merit of the arguments.
Posted by payneele000 5 years ago
payneele000
BLAH BLAH BLAH! There's been how many noted dates that the world will end? I agree w/ Africaded! This entire debate is sort of pointless. I'm just radical about my Christian values and its JESUS OVA EVERYTHING
Posted by Africaded 5 years ago
Africaded
Dude the fact that you believe the world will end at this point is just urtterly sad...my vote is for the con
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
Well, we can know for sure, just wait about thirteen months. :)
Posted by Buckethead31594 5 years ago
Buckethead31594
Ah. I'm surprised I haven't seen a debate with this resolution sooner. I'm sure next year, DDO will be littered with these types of debates!
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
lannan13royalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: obvious reasons, the con arguments didnt refute or attack well, I agree with but his performance was sub-par
Vote Placed by caveat 5 years ago
caveat
lannan13royalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro completely dropped the semantics argument. Con presented no real argument for the contrary.
Vote Placed by JakeBoatman96 5 years ago
JakeBoatman96
lannan13royalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not a vote bomb, this is just true. Con didn't seem to put forth much effort to this.
Vote Placed by wierdman 5 years ago
wierdman
lannan13royalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was a disappointment. First if the Con wanted to argue based on the CX format, he should have made it clear. Not all debate require an inherency or topicality. Pro was the only one who really made any effort to actually argue, and Con simply "stated his opinions." Pro provided the only evidence and Pro was the only one who stayed on topic and did not stray from the resolution.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
lannan13royalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: In cases like this, defining things are important. Pro presented a semantics argument for "world" in regards to the end of the world. Con did not challenge it (where a challenge requires each to defend, or default to common understanding) so I have to accept it.
Vote Placed by Mestari 5 years ago
Mestari
lannan13royalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not really say much of substance...
Vote Placed by Lickdafoot 5 years ago
Lickdafoot
lannan13royalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Even if i were to overlook the aztec/mayan mistake, Pro gave a decent refutation backed by sources that con did not respond to.
Vote Placed by Buckethead31594 5 years ago
Buckethead31594
lannan13royalpaladinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither side supported any of their arguments with sources. Pro loses conduct points for the irrelevant personal attack. Overall, both sides did not provide any valid arguments.