Scorchtheblaze
ColeTrain

Is Demarco Murray better than Adrian Peterson?

ColeTrain
Started: 4/14/2015 Category: Sports

Scorchtheblaze

Pro

I believe that Demarco Murray, former running back for the Dallas Cowboys and the newest addition to the Philidelphia Eagles, is a better running back than Adrian Peterson, running back for the Minnesota Vikings.
ColeTrain

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for creating this debate, and allowing me to accept.

C1: Statistics
In regards to career statisics we find that Adrian Peterson is very much better than DeMarco Murray. ESPN backs up this fact by providing statistics.
Adrian Peterson:
Career Rushing Yds - 10,190
Career Carries - 2,054
Career Rushing Tds - 86
[1]
DeMarco Murray:
Career Rushing Yds - 4,526
Career Carries - 934
Career Rushing Tds - 28
[2]
In regards to single season statistics, we find the same results: that Adrian Peterson is superior.
Adrian Peterson:
Single Season Rushing Yds - 2,097
Single Season Rushing Tds - 18
Single Season Carries - 363
[3]
DeMarco Murray:
Single Season Rushing Yds - 1,845
Single Season Rushing Tds - 13
Single Season Carries - 392
[4]
In each section, Peterson is statistically superior. Note the single season carries is also in favor of Peterson. This is because he was able to attain more yardage with less carries of the ball. This bumps up yard-per-carry average. Now that we have established his statistical superiority, let's move on to other reasons.

C2: Ability
It is irrefutable that Adrian Peterson has exceptional ability to play the game of football. In fact, to further prove this point, we draw the opinion of another experienced and great NFL running back: Curtis Martin. Bleacher Report documents, "According to Curtis Martin (the No. 4 rushing leader), speaking to Pro Football Weekly, Peterson is already one of the best running backs of all time: 'To me, as far as God-given ability, Adrian Peterson has more than anyone I've ever seen play running back. I’m talking in the history of the NFL, not just in this era. I believe he’s that guy. Adrian Peterson is the type of talent that, even if his career ended with the injury last year, he’d make it into the Hall of Fame... I don’t know any other back with his elusiveness combined with his speed, his power, with his durability. He may not have the best career of any running back, but I think he’s probably the most talented there is.'" [5] Obviously, an experienced player who knows a lot about the game can discern skill and ability when it's there. As a result, we see that Adrian Peterson IS indeed a great player, superior to DeMarco Murray.

Furthermore, The Atlantic explained the significance of Peterson's skill, "There isn't any question that Minnesota Viking running back Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the National Football League." They later go on to say, "Backs in the current game, like Peterson, can run out of an I formation, a two-tight-end set that places an extra beefy blocker on both the right and left side of the offensive line, or even a two-tight-end set with a blocking back in front of the runner. No matter which formation Minnesota has used this season, Peterson has flourished. He is a considerably better runner now than he was before a severe knee injury took him out last Christmas Eve against the Washington Redskins. From his rookie year in 2007 through his wounding last year, Peterson has averaged an impressive 4.8 yards/carry. So far this year he's gaining yards at the Brown-like rate of 6.3. That anyone could be having a season like Peterson in 2012 is amazing enough, but to come back from ACL surgery borders on unbelievable." This evidences, that despite difficulties and complications, Peterson is still one of the best players ever.

C3: Attitude
Though many players are good and they know it, and show it, Peterson remains a calm and a player of reputable attitude. Another Bleacher Report article shows, "Given Peterson's work ethic and attitude, it's hard to imagine anyone ever ripping the ball from his hands, metaphorically speaking." It later records, "And even through the milestones and accolades, Peterson has found a way to stay humble. When asked about reaching 10,000 yards, this was his response, via Vikings.com: 'It really means a lot. A lot of guys over the years have contributed to it... Just to be in that elite group, it’s truly a blessing. God has really blessed me to be surrounded by some great guys to help me get to that goal. I sit here and I’m just humbled.'" [7] This attitude allows him to be great.

Conclusively, there are multiple factors in deciding who is better, but in the end, Peterson gets the nod.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] http://espn.go.com...
[2] http://espn.go.com...
[3] http://www.nfl.com...
[4] http://www.nfl.com...
[5] http://bleacherreport.com...
[6] http://www.theatlantic.com...
[7] http://bleacherreport.com...

Scorchtheblaze

Pro

Scorchtheblaze forfeited this round.
ColeTrain

Con

My opponent has forfeited. Extend arguments.
Scorchtheblaze

Pro

Scorchtheblaze forfeited this round.
ColeTrain

Con

My opponent has forfeited once again. Extend all arguments. Vote CON!
Posted by ColeTrain 2 years ago
ColeTrain
Alright! :)
Posted by Scorchtheblaze 2 years ago
Scorchtheblaze
Ok I am looking forward to the maybe debate :)
Posted by ColeTrain 2 years ago
ColeTrain
Okay, I'll think about it and get back with you tomorrow.
Posted by Scorchtheblaze 2 years ago
Scorchtheblaze
I think that Russel Wilson is better but if you think the same then I will be willing to argue in Aaron Rodgers' favor
Posted by ColeTrain 2 years ago
ColeTrain
Who do you think is better?
Posted by Scorchtheblaze 2 years ago
Scorchtheblaze
Ok then...

How about if Russel Wilson is better than Aaron Rodgers
Posted by ColeTrain 2 years ago
ColeTrain
Too bad. We agree.
Posted by Scorchtheblaze 2 years ago
Scorchtheblaze
I say Manning is better than Tom Brady
Posted by ColeTrain 2 years ago
ColeTrain
You say Brady? I say Manning. I'm willing to give it a shot.
Posted by Scorchtheblaze 2 years ago
Scorchtheblaze
Ok I would like to say that Demarco Murray has only had a couple of years in the NFL compared to the long career of Adrian Peterson.

But when you say if theres another argument we could argue, there is another sports related debate I would like to go on about and that is if Tom Brady is better than Peyton Manning.
Vote Placed by Lee001 2 years ago
Lee001
ScorchtheblazeColeTrainTied