Reli
Epic_Squid

Is Disney good for today"s children

Started: 11/17/2017 Category: Arts
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

Reli

Pro

I think Disney is good for today"s children because Disney movies can make good memories in a child"s life.
Epic_Squid

Con

I don't think Disney movies are good for today's children. Whilst I agree that good memories are made from Disney, be it movies, TV shows, or the theme parks, some of the views and stereotypes just aren't acceptable in today's society. Since you didn't put any actual evidence in your first round, I assume you want this to just be a broad opening statement, so I won't put any in my first round either. But don't worry, I have plenty lined up.
Reli

Pro

Disney creates good memories for children from the movies by having memorable characters and good stories which stay with you. The parks create memories through memorable fun rides character meet and greets and more. These things are all good for children because there lives can"t always be serious and it"s good for them to have good memories to look back on when times are hard. Disney is not about being realistic or appealing to everyone so that"s why there films aren"t aimed towards apeling to everyone
Epic_Squid

Con

Of course it's not about realism, that's why it's animated - so the directors can get away with more things. And no one is capable of appealing to everyone, but there is a huge difference between not appealing to a group of people, and just being offensive to them. That being said, I do like Disney, but I have my criticisms. I'm going to list some examples of racism in Disney films.

Firstly, Song of the South (1946) is widely known to be racist due to the depiction of black slaves, and has been described as "one of Hollywood's most resiliently racist texts" by cultural historian Jason Sperb.

Fantasia (1940) - There is a character called Sunflower the Centaur who is portrayed as black with comically over-sized lips, and whom acts as a slave to the white centaurs.

Little Mermaid (1989) - Sebastian, the Jamaican crab, sings about how life is better when you live carefree and have no responsibilities, reflecting the stereotype that all Jamaicans are lazy. Also, Sebastian, if he was human, would be black, and he (along with the Duke of Soul and the Blackfish) are once again portrayed with large lips.

I could go on and on in more detail but I think I have made enough of a point. So i'll just list some more and you can look them up or take my word for it.

The stereotypes in Aristocats, especially the Japanese siamese cat.
The song "What made the red man red" in Peter Pan.
Again, more Japanese siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp.
The stereotypically black King Louis singing about wanting to be human in Jungle Book.
The description "barbaric" and "where they cut off your ears if they don't like your face" used to describe Arabians in the opening to Aladdin.
The depiction of the sterotypically black hyenas and the Elephant Graveyard symbolising the Ghetto in Lion King.
And finally, the depiction of Native Americans as savages, which is highly offensive in their culture, and the complete whitewash of the Pocahontas true story, which was that she was kidnapped and raped when she was 15.

Source: https://www.youtube.com...
Reli

Pro

I understand how these things can be racist such as your points about song of the south and Fantasia but in the little mermaid they weren"t trying to stereotype jamacians the song was supposed to be telling Ariel why life was better under the ocean and how they didint have to worry as much as humans. I can understand some of your other points to but I don"t believe Disney is thinking in terms of race and what may appear racist. Disney is thinking more in terms of what an audience will like.
Epic_Squid

Con

That was the overall message of the song, yes, but my point was that Disney was reinforcing the Jamaican stereotype within the song, plus the depictions of the Duke of Soul and Blackfish as previously stated. And you have to take into consideration the context of the time period during which each film was written. The 1940s were a time when racially abusing black people was acceptable in America, when segregation and slavery were viewed as positives. The Japanese racism is undeniably deliberate. This was written during war time - the time of the "yellow threat" - when Japanese soldiers could invade the USA at any moment, so of course they were going to be depicted as evil because Japanese people were a hated enemy of the American people. You have failed to argue any of my points validly.
Posted by SupaDudz 3 weeks ago
SupaDudz
CON could have extended the fact that it did cause a major uproar and people did not find it as humor.

If i had voting rights it would go CON