Is Donald Trump racist?

GOP candidate Donald Trump is constantly called racist by everyone who opposes him. I really don't see anything that Trump has said that can be considered remotely racist.

Starting this debate my opponent should know:

The definition of racism is: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Please don't kill yourself over formalities. As long as your grammar and spelling is bearable i'm ok.

You should argue pro. In other words you should believe that Trump is racist.

Please don't troll
I'll respect you as long as you respect me

I accept this debate. I will not troll, as to keep this debate civil.

Hello and thanks for choosing this topic to debate! Good luck!

Donald Trump is often called many things like; Xenophobic, Sexist, Islamophobic and racist. I understand how one could see Trump make these remarks in debates and rally being xenophobic, sexist, or islamophobic. Not racist though.

As you know the definition of racism is: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

Never in any rally, debate or in any social media post has Trump made a remark that could be considered racist.

Thanks again for challenging me! I look forward to a healthy debate!

Thanks for hosting such a civil debate!
First off, I will be arguing the point that Donald Trump IS racist, and since my opponent has agreed to label Donald Trump as xenophobic, sexist, and Islamophobic, I will not argue these points.

First of all, there is plenty of evidence of Trump being racist, for example, Trump had been forced to settle with the Justice Department in 1973 for "Refusing to Rent to Blacks and Puerto Ricans." The Trump Corporation had also later made a statement saying that it would "NO LONGER discriminate against blacks and Puerto Ricans".

Also, Trump had taken an awfully long time to disavow the KKK's endorsement of himself. While he eventually DID disavow the racist skinheads, he also tried to keep the situation as low-key as possible.

Next, Trump, after calling Mexicans rapists and criminals (xenophobic AND racist) he stated that he believed the racist conspiracy that said that Obama wasn't a legitimate president because of his background.

Also, in 1993, when Trump wanted to build a casino in Connecticut, he had said this to a Native American Resistance, "they don"t look like Indians to me... They don"t look like Indians to Indians."

Furthermore, Trump DID condone the beating of a Black-Lives-Matter protester at one of his rallies, calling him disgusting.

Lastly, Trump has tweeted an image with a picture of a black gang member with "facts" that highlighted the numbers of killings committed by black people, which were very high,, while the white percentage was EXTREMELY low. And all boards of public safety have said that this image was made up and most definitely not real.

I hope my points were laid out in a way that will be easy for my opponent to read/rebut and I rest my case. I feel that I have provide the proof that I obviously have the burden of providing. Thank you.

First, I apologize for being a little delayed in my rebuttal. It seems as though there were some technical difficulties last night. Thank you for responding in a professional manner. In this section I will respond to my opponent"s points while providing sources to back up my comments. I will not be making anymore arguments this will be strictly responding and my closing statements.

My opponent mentioned the case against the Trump Corporation in 1973. This was just speculation and accusations directed to the Trump Corporation. There was never any evidence that such things were happening except for the low percentage of minorities, which can"t be used to prove anything. It is true that there was a compromise in the case between the Trump Corporation and the Justice Department, however that came after Trump sued the Justice Department "asserting that the charges were irresponsible and baseless."(1)

Next my opponent brought up the subject of the KKK endorsing Trump. As of late February 2016 the KKK grand wizard endorsed Donald Trump for president. A few days and many press conferences later Trump disavowed the endorsement on a CNN broadcast. Of course he wanted to keep this endorsement as under the radar as possible because it is viewed poorly in the American public. There was actually another front running candidate that was endorsed by the KKK. In mid-March Grand Dragon Will Quigg endorsed Clinton for president claiming she is actually "uber-conservative."(2) Clinton, still has not disavowed the endorsement. Why is it racist that Trump delayed the denial but Clinton flat out ignored it and she isn"t racist?

Another point my opponent brought up was Trump"s controversial statement that accused Mexicans of being criminals and rapists. This is a common argument against Trump. However, the use of the term racism isn"t correct in this context. "Race is determined biologically, and includes other inherited genetic traits such as hair and eye color and bone and jaw structure, among other things."(3) Therefore, "Mexican" isn"t considered a race. Mexican is considered a nationality. I defined racism in my opening round as: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. So by this definition Trump"s comments are not racist. However, his comment was justified as harsh as it may seem. The Supreme Court ruling Zadvydas v. Davis (2001) stated "Aliens convicted of violent crimes can"t be held for more than six months if their home country doesn"t want to take them back." This allowed 134,000 aliens convicted of rape, child molestation and other violent crimes to roam the streets in only three years. (4)

Another point my opponent made is the comment Trump made following an interruption by a BLM protester at one of his rally"s in Birmingham, Alabama. The BLM protesters spouted statements like "Dump the Trump" and "Loose the Trump" in the middle of Trump"s speech. Trump said "Maybe he should have been roughed up" following the disruption. Interrupting any type of political rally of that size, the protester should be aware that violence may ensue. Similar events have happened to conservatives at a Sanders rally. Watch this video for an example.(5) To go in the middle of an opposing rally and protest is completely unnecessary and has the ability to instigate violence.

The last point my opponent made was apparently some image Trump tweeted that had facts about violent crimes committed by African-Americans. I have not seen this specific image nor has my opponent provided me with this image. So I will give you the true facts about violent crimes in American. On Table 7 of the report we see that in the years between 1980 and 2008 52.2% of all homicide offenders were black while 45.3% were white.(6) While you read that keep in mind that only 13.5% of the American population is black.(7) These statistics are completely lob sided. I might also add that on page 13 it says "93% of black victims were killed by blacks."(6) For some reason many racial equality groups like BLM, tend to ignore this statistic.

I would like to personally thank my opponent for making my first debate a very fun and enjoyable experience. I hope I have given you, the voter, enough information to sway your vote towards con. Again thank you DebaterGood for keeping this debate civil and friendly. I rest my case.

First, I am very sorry for not including sources, I realized they hadn't pasted after I had entered my argument. Please excuse my mistake.
Next, thanks to my opponent for making this a good debate, if it were a trolling-fest, it would be stupid.

I will first refute some of the rebuttals made by my opponent, then I will solidify my points, while stating why I have won the debate.

First, my opponent had said that the accusations made about the Trump Corporation in 1973 simply couldn't be recognized as a contention, since the low percentage of minorities "can't be used to prove anything." My opponent also said that the settlement was only because Trump had threatened to sue in vengeance for the suit. However, if this was the case, Trump wouldn't have had to pay out the people whom he had allegedly hurt. He also would make sure he wouldn't pay a penny if he was willing to sue the DOJ. Also, it is curious that Trump Corp. had made a statement saying that they would, "no longer discriminate against blacks and Puerto Ricans." I believe that I have won this point. (Per Huffington Post)

Secondly, This debate is about whether Donald J Trump is racist, NOT Hillary Clinton. In response to Donald Trump's delayed dissavowment of the KKK, my opponent said that he only did so because of his view among the American people would be damaged. However, he could have easily have said from the get-go that he does not stand with hate groups and would have nothing for it. However, he delayed and made many people, including me, suspicious. Since, the Hillary comment was irrelevant, I think that I have won this contention.

Thirdly, I must say that the point made by my argument about Donald Trump's comments are true, in accordance with the definition he/she provided. So I will surrender this point to him/her. He/she is correct, and I am glad that my opponent acknowledged this as harsh. Credit to my opponent for pointing this out.

Next, I must disagree with my opponent with regard to the BLM protester. A protester who is inciting NO violence should not expect violence, except he/she is in the presence of a hate-group gathering, and unless my opponent thinks that Trump is part of a hate group, this is not a sound point. As to the Sanders rally, which is irrelevant, since we are talking about different people, the protester was a conservative white, which also is irrelevant.

Also, "statistics" about crime that includes "lob-sided" stats about black violence, don't make an image with a derogatory image depicting black people as thugs, along with PROVEN FALSE facts, which are even more lob-sided than the stats my opponent has provided. I apologize for not providing this image, and I will try to do so this round.

Lastly, my opponent was unable to rebut the argument made by me that mentioned the time that Trump had made a racist comment about Native Americans(NY TIMES), meaning that I have won this point. I need no further explanation of this point.

I would like to thank my opponent for a clean (and fun) debate, and I hope that I have shown the voters that my arguments are enough to show that Donald Trump is racist.

**the image is on this site, along with some information about my argument.
Posted by DebaterGood 6 months ago
Thanks cgt97 for a good debate!
Vote Placed by MaxLamperouge 6 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Sources to Con because he gave many many more tan Pro. Arguments to Con for pointing out Mexicans not a race and rebutting Pros claims as well.