counterret
Jackcassedyy

Is Edward Snowden a hero?

counterret

Pro

Edward Snowden is definitely a hero. Here is my argument:
First of all, his whistleblowing helped us be aware of the unlawful stalking and spying the NSA was participating in. The NSA had no right to do this, it was a complete violation of privacy and basic human rights. If, for example, I were to do what the NSA did I would be charged with computer hacking, violating privacy, stalking, among other things and probably sentenced to a life sentence in prison. It doesn't make any sense, law enforcement arrests thousands of people daily while they should be arresting themselves. They're the ones that have stole 400 billion USD from us. They are the ones that pollute the environment and cause cancer. They are the ones that torture people who may have links to al Qaeda by unlawfully pouring freezing water on their head. I'll stop going on a tangent now. My point is Snowden revealed that the NSA was unlawfully stalking and hacking millions of United States citizens, information we, by every definition, had the right to know.
Their backup story was that they were trying to prevent terrorism, (a) more people die from toddlers accidentally firing guns then terrorism, (b) 90% of the information they NSA filtered(as revealed by Snowden) was not linked to terrorism whatsoever. This makes their constant stalking completely irrelevant and creepy. Another example of the government drowning the citizens in a thick pile of bullsh*t.
That is why I think Snowden is not worthy of any punishment, nor is he a villain or a criminal. He is a revolutionary man who should be rewarded.
Jackcassedyy

Con

You voiced your opinion about Edward Snowden being a hero quite strongly but the reality is, in fact, quite the contrary. Snowden and all the other NSA workers made an oath of secrecy, which means they are sworn not to tell anyone about any classified information they come about during their work. Edward Snowden broke this oath, therefore he is a liar and a fugitive. Your exact words were calling him a hero, but in reality he is actually somebody who failed to do his job properly. If he was a hero, he surely could hold a job position! As someone who works in the field of psychology, I also take an oath of secrecy. I have had patients, on more than one occasion, confess murder to me. Unlike Snowden, however, I understand I took an oath and am not going to fail my job's duty to play hero. I could put many families at ease by turning in the people who killed their loved ones, and I hate myself so much for not doing so, but I understand I took an oath and have a job. Your next part of your statement is quite cluttered, so I will do myself a favor and break it down.
"If, for example, I were to do what the NSA did I would be charged with computer hacking, violating privacy, stalking, among other things and probably sentenced to a life sentence in prison."
This statement does not contribute to your argument whatsoever. You do not have a license to to those things. You are assumingly not looking out for your country's safety. You seem to be quite paranoid to assume the NSA is reading through everyone's messages and listening to everybody's phone calls. The reality is, in fact, they do not care about your life, unless you are a terrorist or threat to our countries safety. These are normal people, like you and I, with a conscience and a sense of boredome. You believe they are willing to tap everyone's phones? I don't even have enough focus to look through my daughter's phone, let alone millions of people. The NSA has a process that looks and listens for keywords, threats, etc.
"They're the ones that have stole 400 billion USD from us. They are the ones that pollute the environment and cause cancer. They are the ones that torture people who may have links to al Qaeda by unlawfully pouring freezing water on their head."
These statements are all very widespread and have no evidence to back them up other than a single post from a nut head conspiracy site. It will be quite tiresome, but I will debunk each of those claims one by one. Firstly, there is not even a conspiracy nut head on the Internet who will say that the NSA has stolen 400 billion USD from the United States, so I am dumbfounded as to how you reached that conclusion. Your next claim is that the NSA pollutes the environment. The truth is actually the complete opposite. According to their website and factual evidence, the NSA works hard to be a good steward of the environment. Through a comprehensive Environmental Management System, the NSA has developed robust pollution prevention, green procurement, and recycling programs. In 2007 alone, NSA recycled, refurbished, or reused over 13 million pounds of recyclable materials at the Fort Meade campus - and this is just one aspect of their commitment to a clean, safe, and "greener" environment. Once again, your final claim is false. There is absolutely no evidence that the NSA tortures people. You may be getting government branches confused, as the CIA is allegedly known to be guilty of causing all of the above statements. You are not talking about the topic, whether Edward Snowden is a hero or not, but you are veering away to your hatred of the NSA. I cannot argue with you, I understand some part of the government is corrupt, but that is not what I chose to debate about.
"My point is Snowden revealed that the NSA was unlawfully stalking and hacking millions of United States citizens, information we, by every definition, had the right to know.
Their backup story was that they were trying to prevent terrorism, (a) more people die from toddlers accidentally firing guns then terrorism, (b) 90% of the information they NSA filtered(as revealed by Snowden) was not linked to terrorism whatsoever. This makes their constant stalking completely irrelevant and creepy. Another example of the government drowning the citizens in a thick pile of bullsh*t."
We as citizens already knew what the NSA's job was, Edward Snowden only made it seem much more worse than it is. The NSA was trying to prevent terrorism, THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT PEOPLE'S DAILY LIFE, no matter how much people's paranoid minds assure them so. Your first statistic, a, would most likely not be true if we didn't have a government branch dedicated to stopping terrorists. Is there a government branch dedicated to stopping toddlers from firing guns? Your second statement, b, is not a shock to anyone. I and many others would assume that It is not common for the NSA to actually catch someone and that it would be less than 1/10 (or 10%) chance to find any terrorist-related information, but you just confirmed to me that the NSA is even better at their job than I believed. I believe Snowden is worthy of punishment, is a criminal, and should most definately not be rewarded.
counterret

Pro

counterret forfeited this round.
Jackcassedyy

Con

Jackcassedyy forfeited this round.
counterret

Pro

counterret forfeited this round.
Jackcassedyy

Con

Jackcassedyy forfeited this round.
Posted by mek4life 1 year ago
mek4life
I was about to challenge but I completely agree with you he is a hero